Cushing's Disease

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Cushing's Disease

Postby MistyGurl » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi everyone,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm new here, and I'm in need of some help.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm working on an article about cushing's disease and I'm looking to talk to horse owners that have had experience with it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you'd like to share your story, I would really appreciate it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you post here or PM me, I can give you my e-mail address and we can talk.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for any help any of you may have. This seems like a really helpful/friendly place.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
MistyGurl
Newbies
Newbies

Postby draftdriver » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:28 pm

My elderly mare (31 years old) is on pergolide for suspected Cushings. We have never done the challenge test for it; her insulin level is normal. Her main problem is a very long summer coat: although she sheds out properly in the spring, she regrows an extravagant coat. She has not foundered, nor does she drink excessively, so she might not be the 'typical' case you're interested in. Feel free to ask more questions. (I'll be off line until Monday.)
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:50 pm

I lost a horse to Cushings quite a few years ago. He was 24 years old when I finally had to put him down. Early signs were a longer than normal coat that was reluctant to shed, excessive water consumption and excessive urination. He lasted quite a long time considering. I wasn't able to find out about medication back then so it was just a matter of time before he got too ill to manage any more. He did amazingly well even though I had to clip him in the summer. He had never been body clipped before!! He was a really tough old boy and hung in for much longer than the vet expected. I was lucky that he never foundered but he dropped weight really fast towards the end and was getting very rickety on his feet. It wasn't an easy thing for me, he was my first horse and we had been together for 16 years.

I am not sure what sort of information you are looking for. Maybe ask questions and I'll see how much I remember. I also had a dog that had Cushings. We put her on medication, can't remember what it was called, and she did well. She succumbed about a year later to congestive heart failure, I often wondered if it was caused by the Cushings medication as otherwise she was very healthy.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Arcadia » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Two in my barn had it, one was 28 the other was in her 30's (we think)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What would you like to know specifically?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The meds are super expensive and really do nothing but buy you a little more time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition