foal with club feet

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Postby 2dapoint » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth!  I'm actually agreeing with you!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But... I do have to wonder about a genetic component#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know of a LOVELY Kentucky bred Tb mare that 2 out of 3 breedings - tossed babies with clubBISH feet.  Her own were (to quote farriers!) "some of the best feet I've ever seen on a Thoroughbred".  Just makes me wonder.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, from vets, I've heard that club feet can be "managed through to correction" by nutrition and early intervention.  At the time (sorry) I wasn't interested enough to follow through and find out what their exact regemine (sp??) was.  I've also heard the same thing about cribbing... but then, I'd take a cribber any day (all things being equal with a choice of two horses - one cribs, one doesn't) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#frankly I dunno.  But I DO know that earlier is better, that it takes serious communication between all 3!! of the involved parties.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#IF this is something that you all feel you should go ahead with - I wish you all the luck and best wishes in the world (and there is no snide cattiness meant in that ... just in case! misunderstandings seem to be in abundance this weekend)  Please, do keep us updated.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do keep up on information regarding club and clubbish feet, especially since we've had 4, ranging from stage 1 up to stage 3. At this point it looks like the consensus is that it is more likely mineral/diet related than genetic - but genetics hasn't been ruled out, either. I haven't seen any studies saying " It is definitely caused by..." There are theories, but no definitive answers. It is interesting that it seems not to be entirely unusual.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Even the ones that look like they might be genetic - such as the TB mare Shelley mentions. If the foals were raised and fed with the same management practices you can't really say if it is genetics or management with any certainty.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now TrueColors black Arab mare, well that does sound genetic.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The good thing is that with appropriate care it is correctable!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#does anyone have pics of what club hooves look like?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TrueColours » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth - I wonder if the genetic component might be something like the inability of the dam to synthesize a certain protein / enyzme / etc leading to a shortened ligament in her foals, leading to varying degrees of clubbiness in those foals???#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That perhaps the club foot, per se, isnt what is being thrown time after time again, but rather the components that LEAD to varying degrees of clubbiness?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here is an excellent pictorial article on club footed foals, before and after the surgery was performed on them. Shows you VERY clearly the literally instantaneous results that can be obtained through this surgical correction#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.equipodiatry.com/flxdefrm.htm"#ed_cl#http://www.equipodiatry.com/flxdefrm.htm#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby zooka » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow that is amazing I have never come across that before!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Previous

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition