Causes for a horse feet to wrinkle

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Causes for a horse feet to wrinkle

Postby shady222 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my yearlings feet have some slight wrinkles on them on the front feet, at first i thought it was laminitus, but hes not lame? my barn owner said it is just new growth in the hoof and from the wet footing he has been having to deal with.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What do you think it is?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Could be either. I have a pony who I suspect may have foundered slightly when she was young who has never been lame, and the reason I suspect this is because of the ridges she has on her front feet. I would lean towards the wet ground theory if you've had it, though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *rickie* » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#If it's just one wave....as in like one riple, it would mean that the horse had a fever. Or maybe that they had a fever many times, which would cause multiple rings??#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I know my guy had a high fever, just after he was gelded, as he got an infection (about 4-5mths ago) and he still has the riple in all 4 hooves to prove it.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#But if this is something that has just occured, then it wouldn't be a fever.......as if it was a fever, you'd see the riple growing down the hoof.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby taco2 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My farrier says, you can tell a lot from the "wrinkles" in the horses feet.  Everything from founder, to fever, to just a change in feed, or increase in stress.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition