Senior Horse Feeds

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Senior Horse Feeds

Postby TackOhBelle » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just wondering if anyone knows of other senior horse feeds out there. I have used the masterfeeds golden yrs. Are there other companies that have other feeds.....i have been trying to find info on some, but i cant find much!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TackOhBelle
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#shur gain#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't think you can buy it in Canada, they are looking for places. We tried to get some for our horse ( not senior ) and i was at thier booth at the Rolex and it sounds like a really good kind. If it was available here i would switch over.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Purina has a senior feed and so does Brooks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can get Shurgain products in Canada.  Although, I prefer Purina products.  They have a toll free number and a nutritionist who can recommend the desired feed for your situation.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I second Purina senior, seen a few older horses do well on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like the Purina too. Most dealers have been trained in their Equine Nutrition mini-course, so they know what they're selling and what will best suit your horse. Where's Jake when you need him? ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby TackOhBelle » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, i kinda had a hard time finding purina dealers but i found one here in kingston. i just have to find some around home! their feed comes in pellets and i am not sure if belle with eat it! shes very fussy, and the masterfeeds feed comes in small cubes and she loves them! i am going to try the masterfeeds since i bought a bag of it the other day.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chisholm- say hello to belle when u are at ranyhyn teaching on wed nights! shes in the first stall on the right when you walk in the doors. u cant miss her!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TackOhBelle
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Jakesterd » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh Gracie Jake is here, just that I sit back and watch for a while.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In Ontario I would go for something from Brooks. Family owned business with a penchant for quality the big guys just cant match. They are a specialty feed company. The Shur Gains and Purinas formulate decent feeds but because of their national presence it becomes a one size fits all. They invent a feed to sell from coast to coast whereas someone like Brooks is local. They get expertise from KER in kentucky. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Probably as good as it gets on the prairies would be Feed Rite Ridley. They bought McCauleys in Kentucky a while back and have incorporated their expertise into the feeds. Should be available in the 3 prairie provinces. They have some side products from McCauleys that are quite good also.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In BC go for Otter Co-ops brands. They have a good selection of dealers all over the place plus they aso have some interesting products like their rice bran and a dry fat called cool calories. A nutritionist (Ken Wilkinson) who has been a horseman all his life answers questions without pushing a sale. For specialty  problems they are alligned with Performance Horse Nutrition, Dr Steven Duren from Idaho.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In the province of Quebec Nutribec is a quebec based firm that utilizes KER. Try them .#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And a note of caution. When you call a feed company and ask for nutrition advice. Make sure the person your talking to actually has training as a horse nutritionist, or in fact is a nutritionist. In many cases the person on the end of the phone is a well managed slick marketing person trained to sell sell sell and they may not know PSSM from Colic.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Remember these are just my opinions. There are lots of good feeds out there. I tend to recommend people I know or have had successfull dealings with over the years. Other brands may be better, but they would have to show me the formulas to prove it, and I dont think they will ha ha!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jake#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jakesterd
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Piaffing » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another one here for Purina.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition