nose bleed

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

nose bleed

Postby zooka » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Today Zooka came in from the field and she had driend blood going down from inside her nostril.  There was only a bit of it although she had wiped some of it off onto her nice white coat...  Are nose bleeds something to really worry about if it does not happen often?  Any idea what might cause it to happen?  From looking at her face there is no swelling so I do not think she got kicked or hit her head, just not sure what might cause it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  this is the first time in the 13 years I have owned her that she has had one. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:54 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Hmmm, I was riding my Appy once through some high weeds, nice sunny fall day....and as we rode, someone in front of me said that my horses nose was bleeding...and it was literally dripping blood...no cuts or welts, and the horse did not act like he was in distress.  I got off of him and clean up the nose...and it did stop bleeding.. and he was all right for the rest of the ride and never had a problem after. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#That day before we noticed the nose bleeding when we went through the weeds, the horse did snort and sneeze like horses do now and then...we were wondering if a bee or a bug got up his nose , who knows, but like I said it has never happened since and that was quite a few years ago.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I guess if you do not see any long term affects from this problem we can chalk it up to "just one of those things."  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that is what I was thinking.  Although I wanted to check with the knowledgable people on this board!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My QH x Belgian  has nose bleeds once in a while. He has a mild case of heaves and may have some ulcers on his lungs. The bleeding happens if he gets coughing and/or working to hard. He is a very athletic horse with many talents but I have to take it easy with him when he has a flare-up. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font size="3"><font color="red">

El Samar Arabians
Brighton Ont.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/andy.hope
Andy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby KBOC » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:24 pm

Horses can get nose bleeds from a variety of things.&nbsp; Around here,
it's most often due to dust, but it is always something to take
seriously if you see it too often.
KBOC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Piaffing » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If it only happens once in a blue moon I wouldn't worry too much. If they are frequently then you might want to have the horse scoped.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK thanks guys I have been monitoring her for the past few days and it seems to be a one time thing.&nbsp; I'll keep the advice in mind if it occurs again though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition