A tip for Bruised soles/heels

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

A tip for Bruised soles/heels

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Last month the farrier was out to do the monthly "pedicure". Splash had been limping alot so I had him check her out. I found out that since the ground has been so dry that her soles of her front hooves were bruised. He said that she would need shoes and I asked if there was an alternative. He said to paint turpentine on them until it went away. So we did. IT WORKS! And it works fast.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your horse has hooves like my mare then I would try it instead of spending loads of money on shoes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been thinking of trying it out. When you used the Turpentine, did you just use it on the outside of the hoof? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tink#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eileen » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:34 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#bleach works as well#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Trufflemaker » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have heard of this folk remedy for human bruises as well. Only thing is, Turpentine is a pretty toxic compound. What does it do in the bloodstream I wonder?! If it's being absorbed into the body then be sure the blood is picking up some of it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby EatMyDust » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You just paint it on to the part thats bruised. Thats all I did.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Piaffing » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't use plain turpentine, it's the venice turpentine you want to use. It is very sticky though and can be bought at most tack shops.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby EatMyDust » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The farrier told me normal turpentine from the hardware store.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Eileen » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:21 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#turpintine can be used as a "cure all" for humans as well...on cuts, bruises, etc etc..it is also used on horses for a colic cure...never used it but have heard of others that have.  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use Koppertox, and i've also used bleach, but that was more for a bad case of thrush..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eileen » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:46 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#yes bleach can be used for thrush for sure, but it also is used by some folks to "toughen" the soles of the feet.  If you are planning on an unusually tough trail, paint the horses soles with bleach a few days ahead...everyday...many people swear by it...#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dusty used to have pretty bad thrush...I was always to scared to use bleach though...I didnt know if it would sting and what if he kicked me in the face?lol...I think of the worst...I replaced it with coppertox stuff from TSC...it worked a little bit, but the farrier cut most of it out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby draftdriver » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:22 am

For sensitive soles, I've used an iodine compound, available at tack stores.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition