WNV vaccine

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Postby Hope03 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:10 pm

Thanks, that is a good suggestion. I will look into it.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Shirley G » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually, there is another way to protect your horse (and yourself!) from WNV other than giving a vaccine, or protecting against mosquitoes, or doing nothing, and that is to give a nosode for WNV.  It is safe with no side effects.  I have successfully used nosodes for WNV for 3 years with a herd of 30+ horses.  You can read up on this, if you wish, on Dr Wessner's website (he is an equine vet from Florida) #ed_op#A href="http://www.holisticvetclinic.net"#ed_cl#www.holisticvetclinic.net#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shirley G
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's some more info and a good link for you Hope!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#B#ed_cl##ed_op#U#ed_cl#Vaccination of pregnant mares with the West Nile Virus vaccine:#ed_op#/U#ed_cl##ed_op#/B#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#It was brought to our attention several times during the past breeding season that there exists a site on the Internet ("The Lost Foals Group") which alleges a connection between the West Nile Virus vaccine and pregnancy problems. We at #ed_op#I#ed_cl#Equine-Reproduction.com#ed_op#/I#ed_cl# believe it is extremely important that all viewers of that site are made aware that nowhere on that site is there #ed_op#I#ed_cl#a single shred#ed_op#/I#ed_cl# of scientific evidence supporting the claims. We are personally acquainted with some of the researchers who evaluated the safety of the vaccine for use in pregnant mares, as well as some of the farms where the research was performed. Neither the researchers nor the farms found any evidence of a problem. We do however believe that one important thing should be brought to everyone's attention - inoculation with #ed_op#I#ed_cl##ed_op#U#ed_cl#any#ed_op#/U#ed_cl##ed_op#/I#ed_cl# vaccine during the first 45 days of pregnancy can result in pregnancy loss (in fact it is preferable for mares to be kept toxin free during the first 90 days of pregnancy), and yet we are repeatedly coming across incidences where mares have been inoculated with WNV vaccine during those first 45 days. #ed_op#U#ed_cl#Keep your mares toxin-free for the first 90 days of pregnancy!#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# - do not vaccinate, deworm or expose your mare to any toxin-related situation during that time frame.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#We consider the above-mentioned site so unworthy of promotion that we will not present the URL here. We do however encourage you to review the article discussing the site presented by Dr. Traci Hulse of Durango Equine Veterinary Clinic (available by "clicking" #ed_op#A href="http://www.equine-reproduction.com/cgi-bin/AX/ax.pl?http://www.durangoequine.com/lfg.htm" target=_blank#ed_cl#here#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#), as well as some of our own personal observations which we placed in a thread on our bulletin board to be found #ed_op#A href="http://www.equine-reproduction.com/board/messages/44/1870.html" target=_blank#ed_cl#here#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby ArabJumper » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:17 pm

All vaccinces have risks. When choosing a vacine regimen with your
vetyou must make sure the benefits outweigh tthe risks. You can still
havea horse get WNV even if it had a vaccine for it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I
vaccinated a mare in foal and minor effects. Soreness,
lameness,lethargy. It also happened to my gelding who got it at the
same time.That was the only vaccince they got that day. Maybe it was a
bad batch.They both had the vaccine before and after that incident. The
foal wasborn fine. (except he's a brat, maybe I can blame the vaccine
forthat.....)#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Anyhow we need to be critical of any vaccine/
medication. The patientis the first to know if there are ill effects. I
question everythingand always remain skeptical. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I still get the WNV vaccine for my guys. WNV is around where I live and I also have some older horses that i worry about.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

WNV Vaccine

Postby Katie1112 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My eight year old thoroughbred gelding had his west nile virus a few months ago. I'm glad I got it, as I have heard of a few horses contracting the virus in Ontario over the summer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Katie#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Katie1112
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kaleena » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Both my girls are and have been vaccinated for WNV. Never noticed any ill affects in either of them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Previous

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition