Winter Feeding ?

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Winter Feeding ?

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#POSTING FOR A FRIEND, AS IN THE PAST SHES BEEN TRASHEFD ON HERE. SO THIS IS Y I'M POSTING 4 HER.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#She has Belgium X that will be kept alone for the first time in about 8 years.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Now she moved him in July of this year to a 80 acres #ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#farm.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#She now has moved him to a smaller place which he will be alone for the first time in 8 years, Which#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#he’s not taking well too. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#She’s noticed that in the past few years that her usually easy keeper has started to loose weight during the winter months. Now she’s not in a warmer winter climate as most of you are. She figures the weight loss#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#over the past winter is due to the lack of a feeding schedule which is due to the owners, of the stable that she worked/boarded @#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#To make a long story short here is what she’s planning on feeding, not including hay which by the way he has top quality and as much as he wants.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Grain Schedule#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#1 scoop of 12 %#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Patriot Pellets#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#1 scoop of Beet Pulp#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#2 Table Spoons Garlic Powder#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#2 Table Spoons#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Boiled Flax Seed#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#She feeding this come November. She so far plans on feeding grain once a day.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Just as a little side note her horse has been on pasture all summer plus top quality hay since Aug,  he’s loosening weight since his move from summer pasture, which she and her vet feel is from Stress .#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Now here is my question, what would you feed?#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Also she won’t feed something that will be overly hot, as she won’t be working him hard,  she only has a limited space to ride.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#All thoughts are welcome. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#P.S, ppl suggesting feeding Sweet feed or Oats please not reply.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Thanks Tink#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Chisholm » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well first off the horse should be fed at least 2X a day.  And if the horse isn't getting any grain right now it should be given to him gradually until his system adjusts the new food.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The feed looks good.  Flax seed will definetly help keeping the horse warm.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only other thing I could suggest along of the 12% pellets (which are fine) try using a Fat and Fibre Pellet as well.  Horses need the fat and fibre for warmth and their energy.  And the beet pulp is good as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If the horse is nice and fat now becareful not to give to much feed at the start.  But watch the weight carefully and add more as needed.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also does this horse get blanketed.  If not try putting on a blanket.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for your friend not wanting to come on here, I am assuming she is reading this too.  Come back we truly are a friendly group. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/20.gif"#ed_cl# It must have been one subject that got maybe a bit out of hand or something.  And also just remember this is the internet and it's just a bunch of people's opinions that for all we know don't mean a darn thing!  If someone writes something I don't agree with or seems rude or whatever I just ignore it.  Because no of us are perfect and can't always express ourselves correctly on a key board.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi, Chisholm#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She plans on feeding grain twice a day,once he gets adjusted to it, Also she knows to graduly incress the grain. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also I think she's planning on blanketing this winter, as for the HF/HF we were talking about that the other day, may decided to feed it also, if the feed store will have it all winter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#as for my friend comming back on here, I dont think it will happen, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the suggestions,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tink#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Cheryl » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can he have a friend of some sort?  A lot of horses when alone will stress to the point of loosing weight.  Maybe getting him a goat of something will help.  Or if the idea of buying another animal is not feasable how about sponcering a foster horse for a while?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby zooka » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like Chis's suggestions if they are feesible for your friend.  I also was wondering if it would be possible for your friend to have a companion with her horse?  It sounds like the horse does not like being alone and if it hasn't been alone in a long time it may take a really long time to adjust and may stress for quite awhile.  Any chance on a companion either something like a goat or someone elses horse to stay with?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Leena » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry to bring this up but what was the dewormer schedule ?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Coming from pasture, if this horse was not deworm every 5 weeks, with that heat, he is probably full of worms. Any diet designed in this case would not do anything to keep weight up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just got a new mare and she is skinny. Her deworming schedule was not the best. Well, the first thing I did was deworming and within one week, I can see the results.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Otherwise, being alone is a factor for this horse to loose a bit of weight; also moving sometimes put some stress as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would give him corn oil to put weight starting with 1/4 cup a day.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck to her and her horse !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Right now I know that a buddy for my friends horse isnt feesiable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena, her de-wroming schedeul is up to date. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Were both leaning towards the heavy stress factor to his weight loss.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for your suggestions,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tink#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Jakesterd » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK so here comes the mean and nasty old guy. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your stated feeding program tells us absolutley nothing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A scoop can mean anything from 250 grams to 2500grams. Horses dont eat scoops they eat pounds and ounces, grams and kilograms.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is the definition of top quality hay based on color or an actual analysis done by a laboratory? Is is grass or legume based? If it is based on a visual appraisal then any statement of quality is highly suspect and useless from a nutrition point of view. The only way to assess the nutritional status of any horse is through analysis of the forage portion of the diet and an accurate description of the actual quantities of any other commercial nutrient  source being fed. If you have a hay analysis then I can do a fast critical nutrient analysis, without it - the whole exercise is irrelevant.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The 2 spoonfulls of boiled flax seed are an insignificant contribution to the diet and are irrelevent as is the garlic from a nutrient aspect.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Life is tough and if your friend can't take the heat here with all these nice people (excluding me) then it is going to be a tough journey.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jake#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Go ahead and trash me for being brutally honest. Im all growed up and can take it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jakesterd
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have to agree with Jake.  Tell her to consult with the nutritionist from her feed company.  They ALWAYS recommend feeding a certain amount in lbs/kilos NOT scoops, as each scoop size is different.  So measure the scoop and weight the feed.  She probably is NOT feeding enough. I gradually increase till you start to see some results then cut back to a maintenance diet.  Blanketing will only help.  The other additions really don't do anything nutritionally like Jake said.  It also helps to add some salt to increase water intake.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh jake you meanie.....so brutal!! lol!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#scoops isn't a measure ment, as jake & patricia mentioned......what size of scoop (ie kilos/lbs etc..)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When our horses were at home we invested in a kitchen scale and weighed and measured everything. It helped my vet determine exactly what they are getting. Having a vet out to do a full exam and rule out any other health causes is a great idea as well. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We also had core samples taken from random bales of hay. They gave us an analysis of what they were getting and it wasn't that expensive. It was good to know what was in it, what was lacking and what we were working with. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My horse is on a full cup a day of ground flax, as well as a full cup of corn oil. We switched him to Blue Seal Trotter and he gets a ton of hay. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Horses are herd animals. Imagine someone having to live in complete isolation. I would be stressed as well as very depressed myself living in those situations. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby jax » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I always up the fat intake through the winter, but my horse is a hard keeper.  She gets 4.5lbs of Un-tie plus 1 cup of Flax Appeal twice a day, plus another 2lbs Un-tie at night.  The Un-tie is 10% fat (HFHF is 6%), and the Flax Appeal is 35% (mixture of ground flax and soy beans).  I get both at Brooks Feeds or the Co-op, which now carry the Brooks / KER line of feeds.  They will also come out to your barn, look at your horse and make feeding recommendations.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your friend may want to pass on the boiling of the flax and just feed it whole, simply to save time.  I would also recommend upping the amount significantly.  At least a cup.  Oil is also great for weight gain - if you can get him up to 2 cups per feeding, he'll be a little porker in no time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I steal the postal scale from work to measure out the amount of feed to give. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also find with her that I need to blanket her when it gets cold, she is thin-skinned and shivers easily, which uses up a lot of calories.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#like Graciespook said, tehy are herd animals..need a companion!! And i would think if you see your horse loosing weight rapidly up the feed right away then ask..my horse lost SOOO much weight in a very very short time, had the vet out and he is now fine. Hes fat now! I would say worm the horse again, and try to keep it inside for a while. Also if your friend is riding this horse, take a break. Maybe hes being worked more than hes being fed and can't keep up. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And for other people my little question is..what is flax seed/ ground flax used for?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Flax is high in Omega fatty acids, which is great for weight gain as well as coat condition.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dee22 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, as Jake and others have said, measuring your horses feed "per scoop" is useless. When I got my horse my goal was the opposite of your friends, I was trying to get my mare to drop weight. She had free choice hay and I was feeding her 'half a scoop' of grain once per day.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was seeing absolutly no results so I consulted a nutritionist at Brooks. I took her off the grain and started feeding her 2 pounds / day of low callory pelleted feed. Measuring by the 'scoopfull' won't get you anywhere. Since I've consulted a nutritionist and started measuring her feed she's lost almost 160 pounds. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#She&nbsp;is a VERY easy keeper&nbsp;but she is now getting 'maintenance' feed and is being fed 7 pounds per day.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Anyway, I'm babbling now LOL.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The stuff Jax recomended is great for putting on weight! I've witnessed it, her mare has gained a lot of weight since being on this combo :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would consult a nutritionist for sure (it's free) and start weighing your food :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Guys thanks for all the info.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First off she does weigh out her grain and it came out to be equal to the scoop she uses this the reasoning for saying a scoop.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The farmer where we both buy our hay has had it tested, I havent a clue what the results were, will try and remember to ask next time Iam there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A nutritionist is not possible as there arent any in our area that actually know what their doing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also for all the add ons that you all mentioned I have checked at the larger feed store in our area and they dont carry any of them, and was told that they wont do a special orders as they would have to order a large amount, so if there isnt more then one person wanting it then Iam out of luck.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The vet will be out later this week to do a complet check up for our insurance policies.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like I stated befor both of use have put the weight loss off to heavy stress.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#We have a regular de-worming routeen.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#She will be blanketing her boy this winter, and for working she usually takes him out for a 1 to 2 hour easy going trail ride about twice a week. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Will relay all info to my friend,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks again,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tink#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can purchase Flax at the Bulk Barn..I pay approx $10-15 a month for it, and I feed a full cup a day. Its ground flax, and I haven't had problems keeping it (I store it in a tupperware container). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Even oil is cheap--I buy mine at the price club, or at Loblaws, and&nbsp; I don't spend much money on it either. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay well i just read your last post andits frustrating me, and i don't get worked up about ANYTHING on this site..maybe its how people feel when i post hehe. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, if your friend wants her horse to gain weight, she/he will have to make an effort to drive down and get hfhf. None of this stuff is expencive..and if it is too expencive sell the horse!!! Everyone who gets into horses knows its expencive, its more than you even expect but it doesn't give you a reason to cut back on food! And maybe buying more food, and flax, oil, and a little goat will save you on vet bills and seeing the horse slowly wither away. You can always adopt a goat or something..they eat hay and grass #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:25 am

#ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#PP72 - I don't think Tinkerbell is saying her friend can't afford to feed her horse, I think she is just trying to find ideas (for her friend)&nbsp;for the most cost efficient ways of adding weight to her horse.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Horse ownership can be pricey, you're correct,&nbsp;that is why&nbsp;you try to keep expenses down by finding the cheapest ways to do things.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#If some oil and flax seed will add weight to Tinks friends horse and it's more cost efficient, than why not do it that way? I know I would rather spend $20 a month on flax and oil opposed to 3 bags of HF/HF every month #ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /#ed_cl##ed_op#v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"#ed_cl##ed_op#v:stroke joinstyle="miter"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:stroke#ed_cl##ed_op#v:formulas#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:f#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:formulas#ed_cl##ed_op#v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:path#ed_cl##ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:lock#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:shapetype#ed_cl##ed_op#v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 12.75pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"#ed_cl##ed_op#v:imagedata o:href="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif" src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/HP_Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:imagedata#ed_cl##ed_op#/v:shape#ed_cl#. And that's sometimes all it takes.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I cut costs in area's too, horse ownership is a struggle for MANY people, it doesn't mean those of us who struggle shouldn't own horse's.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Soooo, what I'm saying is that your post, implying that Tinks friend shouldn't own a horse because she is trying to cut costs, may be a little off target ;)#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Dee,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You seem to somewhat understand what I was trying to do with the post.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tink#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition