Garlic, Ginger, and nice coat

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Garlic, Ginger, and nice coat

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well i am giving the horses garlic and ginger and i have forgotten why! lol, Well garlic i've been told helps keep bugs away exc and ginger acts kind of like oh i fogot the word..antibiotic? Kind of? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If i'm wrong here correct me, but should i continue with the garlic threwout the winter since there are no bugs. And my horses LIKE it, its funny they always eat it first then dig in. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And any special food for a nice coat? I give them Canola Oil, is there anything else that will last longer..(1 bottle 8-10 days)Thanks!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ArabJumper » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do't think garlic is good for horses. I use ginger as an antibiotic for a horse i have with allegies. Things like ginger and garlic are very medicinal. You wouldnt give your horse bute without knowing why so you should try to remember why you are using these for your horses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Positively4thStreet » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I see absolutely no problem with feeding them garlic and ginger, it's natural and healthy-- and not a thing like bute! It's not like garlic and ginger's only purpose is medicinal, and unlike bute it won't hurt them if they continue on with it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Garlic's main use is to keep bugs away, but I think it can keep their coat nice, as well.. I'm not so sure about ginger, I never really looked into it before, but I'm sure it's not doing your horses any harm.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's like saying people can't eat garlic. It has medicinal purposes for us, too, but some people (and horses) just like the taste.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ArabJumper » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:50 pm

If you never looked into Garlic before how do you know how it works?? #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You are right, garlic/ginger isn't really like bute, however they all
have medicial properties. Most drugs are plant derived in the first
place.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The thing about garlic is that is has a compound that is toxic to
horses, just like onions. Also garlic can kill the good bacterias that
help horses digest. Horses have very sensitive guts and garlic can
disrupt the function of it. 2 good reason why I do not feed garlic for
no reason.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I have given garlic that was in a mixture, including ginger, to a horse
of mine that had allergies. It worked well but was only given in small
amounts. To counter act the whole antimicrobial properties of garlic I
gave some probios with it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
We shouldn't supplement our horses with any old product whether it is
natural or not. We should only give them what they need. Their body has
to deal with this. Many things to thin about before you feed a horse.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Re: Garlic, Ginger, and nice coat

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:30 am

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#Well i did say#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
Pretty_Pony72 wrote:#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well i am giving the horses garlic and ginger and i have forgotten why! lol, Well garlic i've been told helps keep bugs away exc and ginger acts kind of like oh i fogot the word..antibiotic? Kind of? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So i do have an idea of what they are doing, since everyone else says garlic helps keep bugs away i can stop it now because no bugs are still alive..Yah bute and those are very different...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since i have been giving GT garlic since.. I got him.. like 5 months, does he need to be weaned of it? It isn't a drug and hes not getting a whole lost, a tbsp..anyone know about that? And does it do anything else becides getting the buggys away? He really likes it, could eat it all day if i gave him the chance... But it has no real purpose now#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess i could give it to him as a treat! Imagine that someone at a show with a bucket of garlic for their horse#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ArabJumper » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think you guys missed my point, garlic is a poisen to horses. OK, not lethal, it won't kill them but it is not really healthy for them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My horse eats fast track and thinks its a treat, weird, huh?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Hope03 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:37 pm

Garlic is also good for getting rid of worms, I have been told. Horses will not eat something if it is a poison to them. It does keep away bugs and flies. Maybe you could look into garlic for horses. Humans can take garlic capsules and its for worms and what not. Its used to cleanse bodies.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby EatMyDust » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Last summer I gave my horses garlic. Dusty wont eat something, or to much of something if he knows it will make him sick. He got into the barn on night, ate some sweetfeed, the same amount I give him for dinner, and went back to his pen. He knows sugar cubes make him hyper, so I give him one before a ride, he'll spit it out, but except it after, when he wont put me in danger. I dont think garlic is bad for them. Sure it gives them funny breath, but it helps with their coats, the bugs, and I read somewhere that its good for their skin.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just my opinion#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Piaffing » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have found feeding apple cider vinger works well for keeing the bugs at bay. Adding a teaspoon of Paprikka per feed gives the horse a richer colour of coat. I fed it to both of mine and their coats did not burn very much in the summer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Paprika is the main ingredient in that supplement 'Black as Knight'. As for Garlic, I've never heard that it's poisonous to horses. I've heard good things about it. I know for people its good for you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby ArabJumper » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:02 am

Didn't know about the paprika.  Have you guys tried it? Big#ed_op#br#ed_cl#difference? What color does it work best on? Cider vinegar works great.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Good stuff.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Eat my dust, what a cool horse, love how he only takes his portion. My horse would eat the whole bag.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Horses can and will eat stuff that is a toxin to them. For example you#ed_op#br#ed_cl#mix it in their grain. They may not be prone to eat a poisen plant in#ed_op#br#ed_cl#the wild, true. It's like chocolate being poisen to dogs. Yes, you can#ed_op#br#ed_cl#give your doag a piece of choocalt everyday and the dog is fine but#ed_op#br#ed_cl#that doesn't mean it is healthy for them.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Do
you guys really think that just becuase you dont know something that it
cant be true??You guys, it has ANTIBIOTIC PROPERTIES!! In other words
it's killingtheir micro flora=(. remeber dried stuff is more
concentrated than fresh stuff which is mostly how these garlic
supplements are given. Garlic is a member of the allium family and can
also bioaccumulate in the horses body.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Here. check this out....  www.comanchemoon.homestead.com/supplements#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
 #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition