Tuttles?

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Tuttles?

Postby Dream On » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My gelding has been a bit off when lounging to the right. I'm thinking it is more in his shoulder.So tonite I thought I'd rub him down with some Tuttles.So I rubbed some on,just on the right shoulder.Well pow!...It blistered up huge and man he was not too happy about that!...He started bitting at it and pawing and totally taking a fit!...So I immediately got a sponge and shampoo and washed it off. He calmed down right away. I felt terrible!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/depressed.gif"#ed_cl#...Was it supposed to do this? I wondered if he is too sensitive or did it blister because there really is an injury there?...He is my first horse and I'm a bit green when it comes to all those home care remedies. I'd love some advice on some of this stuff. Thanks so much!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dream On
Newbies
Newbies

Postby lifeafterracing » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Hi Dream On.  The following is a quote from a sales site for Tuttles Liniment.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#"Tuttles Elexer is the only veterinary liniment made with ox gall and pure grain alcohol to cut sweat and soften the hide while essential oils stimulate circulation, relax the muscle system and relieve soreness after hard workouts. Hastens "cooling out" after racing. Use full strength as a counter irritant or dilute 4 1/2 ounces with one gallon of warm water for use as a brace/body wash. Leaves coat bright and glossy."#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl#I have used Tuttles in the past with success and have also used it on myself with no blistering.  However, it is described as a counter irritant and is basically a very mild blister. Some horses  have very sensitive skins and might be too irritated by it.  You could try Absorbine or hot damp towel compresses.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Hope this helps.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#he is most likely just too sensitive for that type of linament... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First off... do you know if he has injured himself? Is there heat where he is sore? You need to look at these things before applying either cold or hot therapies because if you use the wrong thing you can actually make it worse. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe look for an equine massage therapist to help you in your area... hehe... ya I just took an equine certification course so I will advocate for it, I learned alot and they can actually help you alot. With lamenesses ect#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The product is obviously too strong and he is sensitive.  You could as it says to dilute and put on with a spray bottle.  Then rub him down.  Although, wait till this blistering thing goes.  I used linaments after a workout and spray on the legs/tendons and rub them down.  I use vetrolin.  I would think once it is diluted it should be fine.  Sometimes if they just pulled a muscle or strained something...like people they just need some time or lighter work till they are 100%.  I don't think a massage therapist would really work for something like that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition