Update on Meeka's swelling - original post gone

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Update on Meeka's swelling - original post gone

Postby Lix » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just wanted to update those of you who read/responded to my post on Nov 4th regarding Meeka having a swollen hind fetlock. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The vet did make it out that afternoon and the barn owner told me the vet thought it was a burst blood vessel.  Probably from kicking another horse.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/15.gif"#ed_cl#  She's very, um, alpha, you see.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Apparently there is nothing you can do, just let it be.  Doesn't need any heat or cold and should go away in a few days.  The swelling actually has gone down tons.  I can now feel the bone again which is good. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#On another note, when I came home from work on Friday, I picked up the mail at the road and saw something from the vet's office.  At this point, I didn't know what Meeka had and the vet hadn't been out yet.  So I open the envelope from the vet and it was a newletter.  On the newsletter, there was a paragraph warning about Alsike Clover poisoning.  (I thought about trufflemaker right way, lol)  I guess there has been a case in our village.  It's the time of year for this clover too.  It can be very serious (as in death within 24 hours).  Meeka had some of the symptoms - well, they said that white areas may be swollen, specially the lower leg - and her swollen leg is white.  I realized too that she had been moved paddocks in the past couple days to a paddock that hadn't been used for a bit.  Gosh, you should have seen me freaking out, lol. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley9.gif"#ed_cl#  Obviously it wasn't that.  But what a coincidence to find that letter at that exact time.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for all the tips last week guys!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad to hear it was something simple and not something long term and cost intensive. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby draftdriver » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:53 am

Don't you just love :roll: mare fights? Miss (very alpha) got her hock cut open to the tendon once that way. Hope Meeka gets better quickly.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Trufflemaker » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Life is FULL of strange coincidences, isn't it! How strange that you'd get that article just then. I didn't realize that the clover poisoning could be fatal. I think I'll go read up on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope your horse is all recovered now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad to hear that Meeka is OK. I have a 3 yo alpha-mare-in-training that managed to hurt herself kicking another horse. The worst part is she's done it more than once...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So what does this Alsike clover look like? I want to know what to look for in my pastures, I have clover all over. Hahaha.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby draftdriver » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:51 am

Here's a link to the OMFRA factsheet on Alsike Poisoning in Horses.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition