Vaccinations

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Vaccinations

Postby Elisabeth » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Vaccinations,#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#What do you get??#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#When, how often, and why??#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Elisabeth#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Elisabeth
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Flu/Rhino#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tetanus/Rabies#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#PHF#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Strangles#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WNV#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lepto#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I get the four basics and whatever seems to be prevelant in the area during the year. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby taco2 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3-way#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rabies#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WNV#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This past year I did the 3-way and WNV combo shot (WNV innovater).  Had no reactions, and it I think I'll do that again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rabies,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tetanus,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rhino,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Flu,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WNV,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Potomac.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Once a year for all (of course when my mare is preggers she'll be getting Rhino on a regular basis).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Piaffing » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#&nbsp;I do...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rabies,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tetanus,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rhino,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Flu,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WNV,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ENV,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Potomac,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#strangles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Boomer gets rabies/tetanus, strangles, flu, WNV/WEE/EEE#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The guys at home do not get strangles and flu unless I will be taking them to a show and getting stabling. I don't show anyone at home often - usually inspections or the odd line show, so I try to avoid getting the stabling if at all feasible.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Baxter gets Pneumabort at the appropriate times.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby EatMyDust » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WNV, Rabies, and theres one more which has completly slipped my mind! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Those are what my vet offers me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby goldendryad » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Every spring: 3-way and a WNV (3-way has tetanus and rabies I think???)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tetanus is very essential!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Next year I'm considering dropping WNV just because it's very likely that by now he's got immunity...but my barn is right by a huge pond so there are lots of mosquitoes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Every fall: strangles#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This year he got it by nasal spray, administered when he was sedated for teeth floating. No adverse affects from it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't get the flu vaccine. They are a shot in the dark and (I think) are only worthwhile if you'll be taking your horse off the property a lot. They are developed a year or two before they are released based on guesses as to what strain will be going around. Often a flu will go around and they'll get it anyway because it's a diferent strain. Flu isn't very threatening anyway, just bothersome.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Last year's flu shot made a lot of horses at my barn and other local barn's ill. Something to do with the batch apparently. Not life threatening but they were all ill for a little while (only the ones that got the flu vacc).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Deworming: Once in mid. November after a few good killing frosts. Usually Panomec. Panomec because it gets the bots, which are only a problem in fall/winter. (Their eggs are injested in late summer/autumn methinks).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Then again in Feb. followed by once in the spring and once mid summer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The type is rotated to prevent immunity and cover all types of parasites. We prefer to get paste because just plain liquid gets spat out wayyyy to easily. Paste is gunky but it stays in there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Never tried the powder that can go in feed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I get his teeth checked in the fall.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:50 pm

goldendryad wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Every spring: 3-way and a WNV (3-way has tetanus and rabies I think???)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tetanus is very essential!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't get the flu vaccine. They are a shot in the dark and (I think) are only worthwhile if you'll be taking your horse off the property a lot. They are developed a year or two before they are released based on guesses as to what strain will be going around. Often a flu will go around and they'll get it anyway because it's a diferent strain. Flu isn't very threatening anyway, just bothersome.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Golden...3-way does include tetnus.&nbsp; But rabies is a seperate vaccine.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And like you, I find the flu vaccine (which would be your in&nbsp;4-way shot), not necessary, cuz like you say our horses are not moved off the property a lot.&nbsp; So, why be bothered w/the extra expense. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think some people over vaccinate, JMO.&nbsp; But I think it's best to vaccinate based on what is prevelant in your area, where/how your horses are housed, and if you have&nbsp;a high&nbsp;exposure to outside horses (shows)&nbsp;or not.&nbsp; There is no vaccination regime that EVERYONE should follow, but based on factors that affect your horses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's why Boomer's the only one who gets the flu vaccine - we show, and we are often stabled at the show for 3 days. The flu itself isn't that serious, but I'd hate to lose my show season over something that could have been prevented by a vaccine. The other horses rarely leave the property so I don't see the point - and they're not at the same place as him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition