Any Tips for Selling?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Any Tips for Selling?

Postby chenders01 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well folks, the ad for Dali has gone up.  Here it is:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://equimarket.equestrianconnection.com/showads.asp?adnumber=40615"#ed_cl#http://equimarket.equestrianconnection.com/showads.asp?adnumber=40615#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#PLEASE, if any of you know of anyone looking for a really nice TB, I'll be eternally grateful if you alert them to this ad.  Dali really needs to get sold!  He seems a bit depressed, now that he's not getting as much attention from me as he used to.  He needs to go to someone who will fuss over him and ride him regularly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, having never sold a horse before, I'm looking for any tips those of you who have sold a horse, have to offer.  For instance, when I'm communicating with someone via email, how do I tell if they're a kid or not.  Nothing against kids but I've already had someone email me to tell me how "desparate" they were to buy a horse, I gave them all the details about Dali, they wrote back really excited and wanting to come see him, we set up a time for yesterday and they no-showed me.  No phone call or email either #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley7.gif"#ed_cl#  I'm assuming it was a kid who went to her parents and they said "no frickin' way".  So, how do I weed those people out so that I'm ONLY dealing with SERIOUS adult buyers??  Do I ask them right upfront if they're over 18 or not?  Or if they have their parents' permission to be horse-shopping??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, if I find someone who comes out to see him and says they want him, do I ask for a deposit?  How much?  What about payment?  What is the best form to ask for?  Cash, money order, certified cheque?  I'm not comfortable with just a personal cheque.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any other advice/tips I need to know??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby tbbrat » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I haven't sold a horse in many years - last one was a part "trade-in" for Teddy and I knew the fellow she was going to.  We did buy one just before Christmas and we paid cash as that was what the seller wanted - funny enough, I knew him too, from the track.  I would definitely go either certified cheque or cash, that way you won't get messed about. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for weeding out the tire-kickers - if it's by email, get a phone number and talk to the person first, or have them call you.  I did see your ad and thought "Aha, I know who that horse is" but I didn't notice if you had "serious enquiries only" anywhere in the ad.  Don't know if that would help?  I guess most people aren't as polite as me - I had talked to a couple of people about going to see their horses, but when we decided on Red (first one we looked at, too!) I did call/email them back to explain.  My mama raised me up good. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley14.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#8000ff#ed_cl#My words of advice:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#UL#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#8000ff#ed_cl#Equine.com !  You can try selling without but if you see you are not selling, definitely get yourself a photo ad on there.  I wasn't selling my guy, had interest but no one very serious, and when I put him up on there, bam! tons of calls, appointments.  I highly recommend!!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#8000ff#ed_cl#Good photos are crucial!  I can't see your photos cause webshots is blocked from work, but the one in your ad looks nice.  Make sure they are ALL flattering and present him as well as possible#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#8000ff#ed_cl#I think you've priced him very reasonably, and your ad sounds good but one thing would turn me off a little bit as a buyer (just trying to be honnest). He's advertised as a dressage horse for a fairly low price and I'm just afraid people might think "oooh #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#'dressage'#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# horse = old injury or possible unsoundness".  I know you said "Sound." in your ad but that word can be so vague and broad.  I've seen horses with old bowed tendons sold as "sound".  Just cause they were sound at the time.  Still pretty much means the horse shouldn't jump.  In your case, Dali is sound, and if someone did want to buy him as a hunter, than you don't want to eliminate all those possible buyers.  You can say that he's green in jumping but that nothing would stop him from developing in that area.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#8000ff#ed_cl#Was Dali raced?  I think I remember you saying he didn't and if he didn't, add that in your ad as a positive!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#/UL#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#8000ff#ed_cl#As for sceening the serious buyers from the non-serious, it's tough.  It will take time and patience but don't despair!  The girl that bought my horse was just shy of 18 but was very serious.  She did have her Mom come with her though when she tried him out.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#8000ff#ed_cl#If you do get someone say "I'll take him", they MUST give a deposit.  Whatever you are comfortable with.  Don't make the same mistake I did.  I had someone tell me she was taking him, and she seemed nice and I trusted her so I waited to ask for a deposit (I was gonna take one after the vet check) and she did a vet check, that came out CLEAN and even THEN changed her mind!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/2.gif"#ed_cl# I had already told my other buyers that he was sold!  So don't make the mistake of thinking people are "nice" and everything will be ok because this has to be treated 100% as a business transaction.  Protect yourself.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#8000ff#ed_cl#Ok, that's all I had to say.  And another word of warning, the whole experience will be stressful but it will all be worth it in the end.  Don't lose hope, and please, come vent here when you get frustrated out of your mind!  It's what we are here for. ;)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby chenders01 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks, Lix!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, I think I will try Equine.com.  I also put an ad up on EMG and The Tackbox, but Equine.com has lots more traffic, I think.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Re. the "dressage horse" part, I see what your saying, but I don't really want him to go to a H/J person due to his age.  I just think he's too old to *start* jumping.  Also, I *know* that he will excel as a dressage horse, whereas I'm not sure how much he'll like jumping (he's actually kinda lazy).  What could I say in my ad to convince people that I'm not selling him for dressage *because* he's not sound enough to do anything else (because that isn't the case at all)??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#A very appealing ad!! He's definately worth a look to lots of people! Nice ad and I like the pic. I'm sure he'll sell.#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#As for him being sad...he probably knows he's being sold, or that something's up. That's why I wanted you to get on him one last time, so he doesn't feel like a failure to you. This is going to sound super corny but go and talk to him and pet him and tell him you really love him, that you want the best for him, him to be happy, and that if it means finding him a new human so be it. But it doesn't mean that he was bad, you just know he needs a human that can offer him more than you can and you're looking for the right person for him.#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#Good luck, keep us posted!!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley27.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:55 pm

Good point about taking a deposit. And don't tell anyone he is sold
until you have all the money in your hands!! I would go for a certified
cheque drawn on one of the major banks or a money order. If cash watch
for counterfeit bills, I know, I am probably being paranoid.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
As for tire kickers and no shows, it is all part of the buying and
selling process. Maybe ask for a phone number and ask them to confirm
the morning of the appointment or the evening before. Still doesn't
guarantee that they'll turn up but it helps. I haven't sold in a long
time but I remember all the time spent bathing and generally polishing
for people not to turn up. I know that sometimes they will go to
several farms in a day and just not get to all of them. These days most
people have cell phones, I just wish they would use them.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby AWSgurl » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the ad looks great, and has good info.......good pictures are a must also try #ed_op#A href="http://www.horsetopia.com"#ed_cl#www.horsetopia.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#  and #ed_op#A href="http://www.equinehits.com"#ed_cl#www.equinehits.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# you can also post ads with pictures for free, horsetopia is the better of the two.......as for weeding out the tire kickers, when I was selling my horses I made sure that if they can't make it or will be late to please call me and let me know either way, as I am arranging my day to accommodate them and other potential buyers, after I stressed that I never had any problems, they always called to tell me if they were late or not coming and I thanked them for that........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for magazines the Horsetrader seems the best......Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Coloured Horses for Sport
AWSgurl

Postby chenders01 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh GD, I *do* still groom him and stuff, and I talk to him all the time and tell him how much I love him.  But I'm not riding him anymore and he just seems...bored...and sad.  The BO rides him and PC rides him when she can, but it's not ME riding him anymore.  I'm sure that he knows that something is up.  Last year, when I had him for sale, I *swear* he knew...he's a smart boy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Writing ads is sooo hard!  You want to be honest and give as much info as you can, without going on and on.  I'm hoping that people won't be turned away by his age and the fact that he's not done much for being 13.  And, of course, the cribbing will likely turn people away too, even though it is not a problem with his collar on.  I think I've reflected those things in my asking price though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby High Hopes » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The add looks good.  Just one word of caution though, I would not limit the h/j people.  Yes he is a bit older but once you sell him he is not your pony anymore and if they want to jump him then they will.   That's kind it on that factor.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would be brief and descriptive and most of all BE HONEST (not saying that you aren't at all).  Don't come right out and list every minute thing but if someone is very serious about him I tell all.  I HATE suprises when I've bought my horses and I try to be as honest as possible when selling the horse, even if it means loosing people.  I'd rather know that I have a clear consious.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Equine.com is WONDERFUL!  That is actually what sold Brae for me.  If you know of any trainers in the area (or reputable dealers) then connect with them.  And yep most of all have GOOD pictures, and even a home made video in the waiting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck darlin!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
High Hopes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmmm,  I know what you mean chenders... Just the way it "sounds"... Like for example, ME:  I wanted a horse that was sane and sound, but wanted her to be sound enough to jump just in case I want to.  I've had her what... 8 months now and jumped her over a 1 foot X maybe twice?  LOL  But I just wanted a horse that #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#would #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#be able to jump #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#IF#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# I wanted to.  (even though I probably won't).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chances are, a big crazy jumping fan will not buy a 13 yr old TB that's not really into jumping anyway.  Chances are, you will attract buyers that are pleasure riders (like you an me) and that want to do low level disciplines, and hunters (under 3 feet usually) will not hurt him at all.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know what you mean though, normal to worry about his health and everything...  But instead of ruling out all h/j, give yourself the discretion of screening individuals rather than a group.  You may just get a girl like me, looking for a horse to ride for pleasure, who mainly wants do to flatwork but may want to pop him over a log on a hack once in a while.  I just know that even if I don't have big jumping plans with Meeka at this time, I wouldn't even have looked at her if she was advertised just for dressage as I automatically think it would have limited me in just riding flat and assumed it was due to a health issue.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I say screen the buyers when they acutally come to see the horse, not in your ad.  If you think someone is interested but may be too demanding, you don't have to sell them your horse... ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Dee22 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Chenders!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nice ad! I would only change a couple of things. First off, I most definatly agree with Lix, don't limit yourself to only one riding discipline. When people use the search function you want your ad to come up in as many as possible. When I was looking for a horse I *did* look at the ones that were advertised as dressage only but, if I came across one that was in your price range and only for dressage I thought something *must* be wrone... and a lot of times I was right.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#When I was looking for horses I actually thought I was looking for a hunter... I was only *thinking* about dressage at the time and I probably wouldn't have looked at Eja is she couldn't jump. Even though she hasn't been jumped in a long time ands needs a LOT of work if I want to jump her, I know she can jump and if I ever wanted to, she could be capable.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I think you should consider putting him in the hunter/jumper area and say that he *can* jump but hasn't done so in a while because you were only concentrating on dressage with him... or something to that affect.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Also, there is nothing wrong with him jumping at his age. Thirteen really is not that old, I know many horses who were great jumpers way past that age!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#About the 'tire kickers'... there really is nothing you can do about that. When trying to sell anything you have to basically put a certain amount of trust into the potential buyer and hope that their not messing around. I don't think asking someone if their over 18 is a great idea. I had many young people, under the age of 18 e-mail me about buying Mopar and I treated each one as seriously as an adult... In the end it was the adults that missed appointments, didn't call, didn't e-mail and generally screwed around. It's not really fair to assume that someone under the age of 18 isn't serious about buying a horse. A lot of young people e-mail themselves and than come look with a parent. I know my parents would never know where to start with buying a horse.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I used to ask people to call me when they were approx. half an hour away from the barn. If I didn't get that phone call by the time they were actually supposed to be there, I called it a day and went home. I find the best thing to do is to talk to people over the phone, & exchange phone numbers, that way you can call them if they are late. No answer? Their not coming. It's just part of selling a horse. One lady from Ohio asked me to look up a whole bunch of info on shipping (rates etc), health certificates, paperwork for crossing the boarder, she made an appointment to drive up to see Mopar, we spoke on the phone, I took video footage of Mopar, put it on disc, sent it to her the whole bit... I waited for her at the barn for FIVE hours and she was a no show. I was FURIOUS! I called her house that evening, her husband said she was out, when I told him who it was he said she told him that I had already sold the horse :s People are weird, they do weird things but there's no way to get around them, unfortunatly.... you just have to take each one at a time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Make sure when you sell Dali you get a deposit but don't tell anyone he's sold and keep his ads up until you have been paid in full. Get cash or certified cheques.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#If he sells to the states, it's a bit trickier. Banks won't cash certified cheques or money orders from the US right away, they have to hold them for 15 days!! I made that mistake when I sold Mopar, I asked for my deposit cheque to be certified and my bank said they had to hold it for 15 days because it was from a US bank. I made sure when I received final payment that she wired me money through Western Union, it cost me a bit but it was the only other way I could think of, I wasn't about to let Mopar go to North Carolina while my bank held the money order for 15 days #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay, I've babbled enough! LOL Hopefully some of this helped!#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Updated Ads

Postby chenders01 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks, guys, for the advice.  Thanks to you too, Patricia, for taking the time to PM me.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've put up ads on two more sites today - #ed_op#A href="http://www.horsetraderclassifieds.com"#ed_cl#www.horsetraderclassifieds.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# and #ed_op#A href="http://www.equine.com"#ed_cl#www.equine.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#.  I took your advice into consideration and made some changes.  Here is the equine.com ad for your perusal:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.equine.com/horses/dshowhorse.asp?horseid=797571"#ed_cl#http://www.equine.com/horses/dshowhorse.asp?horseid=797571#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I included more disciplines and mentioned in the ad that he would make a nice hunter with more training.  I also tried to minimize the part about him being a cribber.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hopefully, I'll get some bites with these two ads.  Haven't heard a peep yet from the first ads I posted.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the ads look really good chenders. i'm sure you'll get some bites soon!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#good luck in finding dali a home.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby High Hopes » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh.. I was going to mention that our own Patricia helped my write my add for me on Equie.com.  She is good at this and you might just want to ask for a little direction in the right 'selling' way from her!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
High Hopes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I like it chenders!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/21.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#You'll get tons of publicity on Equine.com!  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Make sure you don't emphasize (or even mention bad points) in the preliminary ad (other than the cribbing).  If people ask questions, of course be honnest about things, but it's like selling a house, don't attract attention to the flaws.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#You want people to talk to you, call you, get more info before you unveil his little "quirks".  All horses have them, but you just want to make sure that you attract as many buyers possible by remaining positive but by being honnest when asked! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Anyway, I'm not saying you did this but just ensure you don't offer more information than needed at the preliminary level.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Ok, me blabbing... #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I did like your ad though, sounds good!  How many views do you have on it?  I tried to look but I think you can only see it if you are a registered user or the person that placed the ad.  I remember when I had my ad, I would look at that all the time and the "views" always increased crazily every day!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley17.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley10.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley14.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley16.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley32.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#                 #ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#(good ol' EC smilies, LOL)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby chenders01 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Lix!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've had 326 views on the Equine.com ad so far, but only 2 emails.  One person asked me for more information but wasn't specific about *what* information he wanted (I mean, there's LOTS of info in the ad) and the other email was from someone in the UK.  After all the scams that have gone around, I don't think I'll be responding to *that* one #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I hear ya about not revealing too much, although I can't think of anything really bad about Dali that I'd be hiding.  I was pretty honest about him in my ad, I think.  He really doesn't have any major problems.  PC even told me that his canter is coming *really* well and is quiet now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dali does sound like a nice boy, and I'm sure you'll find him a great home.  I find selling takes alot of patience...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know this is not really related but just want to say it anyway. About 1.5 yrs ago, I was looking a this horse for sale, near Toronto.  Remember, I'm from Ottawa.  Horse was for sale for something like 3500$, wb cross but a little older, like 16yrs old I think.  Anway, get info on this horse, talk to the owner, and decide to drive out to Toronto (4+ hours).  Get there, try the horse, he's stiff as a board. I struggled to get a canter out of him.  Lady tells me after I'm done riding that it's the first time he actually canters for a tryout and that only her coach can make him canter.  *bells start ringing*  Go back on the crossties, I'm looking at him from head to toe.  Horse seems very quiet.  Lady then nonchalently tells me that once in a while, he gets "liquid" in his legs and she doesn't know from what.  It will stay there weeks at a time and sometimes ooze out.  Okaaay...  Then she tells me that she could have him shipped, but that he throws himself when he trailers and will repeatedly fall down and that when she first got him, he was bloody when he came out of the trailer...  Okaaaaaay...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And then I was asking myself, either she really hates me and doesn't want me to buy her horse, or she is crazy.  Either way, I was glad she told me, but pi$$ed at wasting 8 hours of driving for such a misrepresented horse.  While I was there, I don't think she said anything good about him.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley29.gif"#ed_cl# LOL  I think I should have clicked in and realized that the horse had been for sale for around 5 months.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What was I getting at, I don't know...  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/15.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/3.gif"#ed_cl# Sorry chenders...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#326 views is ALOT! :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby chenders01 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#See, I don't get why people do stuff like that?!? #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/confused.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl#  Do they really think they'll be able to hide flaws like that when someone comes out to see the horse??  With such dishonest sellers out there, it's no wonder that buyers get scared away!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dee22 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow Chenders, that's a lot of views! :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Haha, don't worry, pretty soon the e-mails will come FLOWING in and you'll go crazy trying to answer them all. That's how it was with Mopar, I'd have nothing for a few days and than like 10 in one day... it was crazy. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You will get a lot of people saying #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#'Hi can you give me more information?'. Basically, if people do that, I write pretty much the same thing that I had in my ad, maybe even not so much, just give a little blurb about him and than say 'if you have any more specific questions you'd like answered, please let me know and I will be happy to answer them for you'. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#It *is* a lot of e-mailing back and forth but that's horse selling! Hopefully it'll happen quickly :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#D#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby BarnBratCSA » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree, you'll get a lot of generic questions that were probably already answered in the ad....so just be patient! hehe, I know, easier said than done. Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have another bad-horse-buying-experience to share.  I was looking at a horse 3 hrs away... a 2 year old reg QH mare that sounded wonderful... owner said she was about 15 hh, would mature to an easy 15.2, maybe more. lightly started but quiet, so a great project horse for me. So I took a day off from school, mom took a day off from work, and we got the owner of the barn where we boarded to come with us for the day. We got there, and the mare was very very nice, cute mover and almost everything the owner said, except she was lucky if she was 14hh!!! Obviously she as never even going to make 15hh, and I'm not huge, but being 5'6'', I definately needed something a little bigger.  I jsut dont understand why people think that they can lie about something so obvious and still sell you the horse! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Next

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling