Priced Too Low??

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Priced Too Low??

Postby chenders01 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay, guys.  As you all know, I've had Dali for sale for about a month now.  I've had lots of emails but only one person who has been out to see him.  I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong...either I've got him priced so low that people think there's something wrong with him or I've got his ad worded in a way that sets off the warning bells.  Here is the ad that is currently on Equine.com, here on EC and on EMG:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.equine.com/horses/dshowhorse.asp?horseid=797571"#ed_cl#http://www.equine.com/horses/dshowhorse.asp?horseid=797571#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#PLEASE be honest with me and tell me, if YOU were a buyer, would his ad entice you to come and see him?  Is there something in his ad that turns you off??  Is there something about HIM that turns you off?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Granted, yes, he is 13 and still requires training.  Is that the issue?  Or is it the fact that he's a cribber?  I am at a loss.  He is a wonderful, easy-going horse.  Someone who is familiar with riding TBs would have no problems with him.  He doesn't have a spook in him.  He can be a little quick at the canter yet because he's still working out his balance but I feel that he would be a good project for someone who knows what they're doing, and that with a little more work, he would be an AWESOME dressage or H/J horse.  Someone could pick him up for cheap, put a little more work into him, and have a really wonderful mount that could take them quite far in ANY discipline.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm starting to wonder if I were to jack his price up to $5K, I might get more interest.  Any thoughts on this or suggestions for alternate wording I can use in my ad, to really communicate all the wonderful features of this horse??  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really need some help with this...he really needs to get sold so that I can get on with my life!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, first off, the market for horses is just starting to pick up (spring), so you may get some more action soon.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But, the ad is very NEGATIVE!  Don't point out all his faults, build up what he is good at NOW, don't worry about what he CAN'T do now.  Don't state he's under priced, you could say something like..."a steal at $3000".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When the people come to look at him, and ask questions, or point something out, then you cam comment, nut to put all that "negative" stuff in an ad is justing asking people to over look him.  This is what I'd say.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#13 year old TB perfect for intermediate or higher rider.  Great dressage, hunter/jumper or eventing horse.  Willing to please, and very athletic.  ready to do training level dressage, and low level hunters.  Very fluid gaits, quiet, sensible and doesn't spook.  Sadly for sale, a STEAL at $3000.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Then when you get the REAL interest in him, you can talk about his cribbing, and what he needs to work on.  But, if you state 95% of your ad negative, then yeah, I'd pass it up as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope this helps a bit, and like I say as the weather warms up, more people are going to be looking for horses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kaleena » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay Chenders I'll give it a go :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do think that the lack of training at 13 is most likely working against him because one could most likely get a younger (6-7year old) at the same stage for only a bit more money. The cribbing thing would initaially turn me off personally, but I don't think that would completely stop me from coming to see him if he seemed like the horse for me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe make a few minor changes in your ad, something like:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Instead of: "He is priced low because he still needs some training, but he is very willing to please and very athletic. He is not yet able to canter consistently in a frame but he is in full-time (daily) training and he improves with each ride."#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just say something like: "He still needs a bit of training, but is very willing to please and very athletic. He is in fully-time (daily) training, which will continue until sold, and improves with each ride"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Instead of: "He is a cribber but wears a Miracle Collar which controls it."#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just say something like: "He is a very mild cribber, but a Miracle Collar eliminates the problem"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't think you have to put why in the text why his is priced low, an educated horse person would be able to figure out its because of his age, lack of training, and mild cribbing. The person will be able to tell his level of cantering ability once they see him go or you can inform them more in a personal e-mail that this is the area he needs the most work on. One may read something like that and pass him by immediately, but if they were to actually come out just knowing he is a little rough around the edges they can make their own opinion on his canter (and overall training) and decide how much work they would have ahead of them. Does that make sense? I know you don't want to surprize anyone but sometimes its okay for people to figure things out on their own or at least let them form their own unbaised opinion#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl# The rest of the text reads well to me. I like how you have included what he should be able to do this summer, that also gives the reader a sense that he is improving with his training.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So those are just some of my thoughts. I hope he finds a good home soon#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Dali

Postby Canadian Gold » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First of all, when I did a search on equine.com for any horse between 16.1hh and 16.3hh, 5-15 years, hunter/jumper priced from $2,000-$5,000 (which is a pretty typical search), your guy did not come up in the search results at all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would recommend that you expand your discipline categories to include hunter, jumper and equitation (you never know), without the prospect designations.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, your ad starts out by pointing out his weakness (not a lot of training, canter not great, little show experience, needs more experienced rider).  You might want to expound on his virtues more.  What makes him special?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is nothing wrong with your horse; unfortunately, there are just an awful lot of horses just like him on the market right now, and you are competing against all of them. Also, equine.com is flooded with horses - within a day the ad you post drops down to the second or third page.  Try posting flyers in tack and feed shops.  Use other web sites like equiman.com.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sentinel Hill Farm
Home to VDL Ulando H and VDL Windsor H
Visit us online!
Canadian Gold
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay, thanks guys!  I think that I am guilty of trying to be TOO honest LOL!!  I just hear stories ALL the time about buyers going to see horses, and the horse being NOTHING like what was stated in the ad.  I don't want to be that type of seller...I want people to know upfront, what Dali's issues are.  And maybe that's my mistake...being TOO upfront and TOO honest #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/11.gif"#ed_cl#  I didn't realize that the ad sounded so negative...which is why I asked for your honest opinions...and I really DO appreciate them! #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/classic.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I *do* like your re-wording, Taco.  I think that I will go back and change my wording as you've suggested.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any other suggestions for ways to improve my ad would be GREATLY appreciated!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dee22 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the changes you've made are great Chenders, but I would personally, take the cribbing thing out of the ad altogether. I'm not saying don't tell them, but tell them once they've e-mailed you and asked questions about him. That way, you can put the cribbing in with all the other great stuff you say about him in the personal e-mail.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#JMO#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you really think so, Dee??  Cribbing is a really big issue for some people...I'd feel really dishonest to not put something like that in my initial ad.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What do others think?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *rickie* » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#cirbings not that big of a deal, especially if the collar eliminates it. I wouldn't put it in the add.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#My arab liked to buck when excited when doing games, or running around in a field....I sure didn't put that int he add....but if people asked about kids trail riding him, I told them. But now. since I've sold him, he's done games with a  little 7 y/o and has NEVER BUCKED! so you just never know.........#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Most people looking for a horse, if cribbing or any other vice is a HUGE deal to them, will ask if the horse as any vices, and that would be where I would mention that....which would probably be in the 2st couple e-mails.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Best of luck, I hope this helps!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby taco2 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks!  I've bought and sold enough horses in my day, that I would hope I have a knack for getting interest.  I also know as a buyer I don't want to read alot in the intitial ad. Just the basics, and then I go from there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the majority of info is exchanged during your first visit to the horse, and then after, not from the initial ad. The ad should just suggest what the horse has been used for, what he is used for, and what he could be used for, and his temperment.  Leave the rest to the first visit, or if people ask, but I wouldn't divuldge all info from the start.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your not being dishonest by not putting cribber in the ad.  If you share the information later on at some point, that is all you really need to worry about, it's neglecting to tell them AT ALL that would be dishonest.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Taco, if she neglected to tell them at all about the cribbing they have a legal right to return the horse. If the seller does not disclose a vice (cribbing, weaving, etc.) the buyer has a right to return the horse. I actually would leave the fact that he is a mild cribber in the ad, I liked Kaleena's rewording, makes it sound a little better. I agree, state what he does, leave out what he doesn't do, if someone contacts you you can always go into greater detail then about his specific training issues.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby taco2 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#RUTH..I think you misunderstood#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#, I said she didn't need to place it in the ad.  But, she should tell them after they have responded to her ad.  I NEVER said she should not tell them?! I really don't see why it needs to be in the ad at all, just as long as she explains to them that he is a cribber and how it can be "controlled".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also  As Chenders is too honest a person and wants what best for Dahli, so she would never not disclose such information I'm sure.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, how do you prove that the horse cribbed/weaved/chews prior to purchase?  These types of things are very hard to prove, and often then not, the buyer doesn't have a leg to stand on.  Been there myself!! But, that is awhole other discussion.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree that one should not w/hold information, but, I just don't feel that is she wants to peek alot more interest in the ad initially, then leave out the cribbing for the time being...JMO.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I agree with Taco, Dee and Rickie.  I don't think 'cribbing' should be in the ad.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Divulge that information when you acutally speak to or e-mail someone.  Surely they will ask about vices and it's a good time to say it, specially the way Kaleena suggested.  Sounds good that way.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#An ad is to present a horse and boast the good aspects.  You want to attract the buyers and get them interested before you divulge all the faults.  Not to say don't divulge his faults, but wait until you are speaking one on one (or e-mailing) a potential buyer.  That way, you are putting the chances on your side and may have a person that is already impressed with Dali's good sides, who may just shrug off the cribbing when you tell them.  Get them hooked first.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#It's like buying a house.  You don't often see a real estate ad saying - "good house, but has a faulty light fixture, the floor in the living room looks used and the closet in the bedroom needs repainting"  They seller expects that they will find out about the details when they talk directly to the person or when they see the house. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I think only major things should be divulged in the ad such as new bowed tendons or serious injuries, respiratory problems that affect performance, etc.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Meeka was for sale for 5000$.  Her ad said nothing but "Clyde/TB mare, 8 years old, 5000$".   I drove out to see her to get more info.  She is a clunky horse, her mane was cut with scisors, I noticed half of her udder was missing (injury) and she had quite a sway back.  I imagine if all that was in the ad, I don't think I would have drove over.  But once I had seen her and felt a connection, finding out that information did not bother me.  She had been well cared for and had a great temperament, and the seller was open and not pressuring me at all (she kept her 2 months for me and didn't even ask for a deposit).  But if all her down sides were highlighted in the ad, I don't think I would have bothered.   #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#It's really up to you though, he's your horse.  :)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby chenders01 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for all the input, folks!  I took the part about cribbing out.  You can click on my original link to see the revised ad.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And Ruth, Taco is right...I would NEVER not tell someone that Dali is a cribber.  Besides, they'd figure it out pretty quickly when they come to see him, and see the Miracle Collar on him #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl#  It is something that I would definitely divulge...although it really is a non-issue as he does not crib as long as the collar is on.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay, I got another email this morning.  Maybe this one will actually want to come out to see him.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks so much for all the advice, folks!  This is my first time selling a horse and it's sooo hard to know exactly what to say in the ad.  You guys have helped me so much.  It's really appreciated   #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dee22 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh boy! If Eja's downsides were in her ad I DEFINATLY wouldn't have gone to see her! Her pictures were old so in them she was very fit and being ridden regularily... the didn't tell me that she hadn't been ridden in almost 2 years (in which time she'd had a baby), she was over weight, sway back, hard mouthed, herd bound, had a paddle, is toed in, had arthritus in her hock (which was pretty obvious when I saw her) AND the ad said she was 16.2H when she was really just under 16.1H...... I NEVER would have even considered seeing her if it had said that stuff.... but I went, fell in love with her personality and saw her for what she *could* be in time with work. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Again, not saying 'don't tell them'... just don't put it in the ad.... tell his good points only, generate an interest first. Like Lix said, you don't see real estate ads saying anything bad about a house for sale! :) ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Ads

Postby Sunny Side Up » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth, exercising your right to return the horse, and actually getting your money back when you do, are, sadly, two different things.  #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/cry.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/cry.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders, I'm glad you took out the part about the cribbing.  People dont expect to see vices listed in an ad.  Afterall, one wouldn't say "weaves, but not when turned out".  I'm all for disclosure, but that happens #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#after #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl#a prospective buyer has contacted you to find out more.  Your ONLY objective in placing the ad is to get people to contact you to find out more, not provide a complete bio of the horse.  Less is more! #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/classic.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keep you chin up, its bound to happen soon; he's a great boy!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sunny Side Up
Groupie
Groupie

Postby SPYDER » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Looks like a nice horse but cribbing is something that should be mentioned. Price is about right I would say due to his age.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
God is not the force that saves me from the pain of living, but the force that brings me life in the midst of pain and sorrow.
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Taco and Chenders: at no point did I think that anyone was suggesting that Chenders would consider not telling anyone he was a cribber!!!! Taco, I was just building on your comment about not telling someone would be neglectful. I didn't for one second think that was going to happen! And yes I can see how it would be difficult to get your money back, but trust me people will try. I know this is a little off topic but we had someone try to return her recently deceased mother's 2 month old glasses! They didn't even have a law on their side.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As a buyer I would prefer to know about a vice up front, but I do agree that it is fine to find out about it in an email reply too. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Cribbing

Postby Sunny Side Up » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Spyder, I disagree.  Cribbing is just one of many vices.  Too many potential buyers, its a non-issue.  If your horse weaved, or bucked once in a blue moon, or bolted when spooked, and you felt obligated to disclose these in your ad, how many people do you think would be knocking on your door to find out more?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To interested prospective buyers, I would disclose ALL of these things, but certainly not in the ad.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sunny Side Up
Groupie
Groupie

Postby High Hopes » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Got to reply to this a bit late!  I am glad you edited your add!  You were negative on your pony largely at first, there is a good improvement now!  I guess it is like selling a used car, have to come up with the right wording!  You never want to tell all in an add, when you get someone serious then yes disclose all that is necessary for the sale and leave it at that.   But a good add does make the difference.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Before I loved horses I had nothing to live for, Now I love horses and can't stop seeing things to live for. God bless the Creature that is so noble they make me feel ALIVE!!
High Hopes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling