Cash, money order, certified cheque

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Cash, money order, certified cheque

Postby cadence » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, everyone says take cash, money order, bank draft, or a certified cheque if from a Canadian purchaser.  However, cash can also be counterfeit and it has happened.  Money orders, if Canadian, are guaranteed, but American are not guaranteed and funds will be held for 15 days.  The same goes for bank drafts, which are essentially the bank writing a cheque to you because your buyer has already paid the bank.  Canadian banks will still hold an American bank draft for 15 days. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Perhaps setting up PayPal is an option where the funds are directly deposited into your account from theirs.  This works for Americans and Canadians.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We've considered becoming approved vendors for Visa or Mastercard but there are some restrictions.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I personally would be extremely cautious about any European buyers ... the only exception would be pintos which are breaking into the warmblood market and some European breeders will supplement their stock with approved warmblood pintos.  But that will only be for a very short window of time.  Even still, I would be very, very cautious. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thoughts? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I only accept cash....or a Bank Transfer.  With all these scams going on I don't take cheques or money orders ESPECIALLY from the U.S.  They can purchase money orders from the corner variety store...LOL!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eileen » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:22 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#If you are afraid of the cash being bogus....have the exchange go through at the bank and I am sure that the bank can scan the bills to make sure that they are right....#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#or if you are seing the buyer in person or if you are the buyer...go to the sellers bank....with the two parties there...contact the sellers bank....and have the bank do all of the paper work then and there....so that there is no room for funny money or shuffling paper....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have no problem with accepting a cheque, even a personal cheque, with the understanding that the animal remains with us until it clears. I did once sell a pony for cash, the buyer was from a bit of a distance and came with their horse trailer so that they didn't have to make another trip. I agree, you have to be pretty careful though, some counterfeit bills are very good. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another good method, one I have used to buy a horse, are credit card cheques. Of course you do have to wait until the funds are in your account before letting the horse go, but it enables the buyer to use a credit card without the seller having to be set up to take credit cards. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Draygonfyne » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.certapay.com"#ed_cl#www.certapay.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's my new best friend.  #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/cool.gif"#ed_cl#  It's an instant email debit transaction.....I've accepted payments for a horse through this means.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The beauty is that, unlike PayPal, the sender is the one that pays the fees.  If you're receiving money, there's no cost for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Draygonfyne
Newbies
Newbies

Postby cadence » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Draygonfyne... That's a wonderful idea!  I think I will use that for my next horse sale.  Much better than cash, cheque or anything in between.  Isn't it terrible what lengths we now have to go to in order just to sell or buy a horse these days?  It's nuts.  Sometimes, I really long for the simple days back when. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling