cough, but not heaves

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

cough, but not heaves

Postby tackforu » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My horse has been going through hell and back with a cough, the vet said not heaves on more than one check up, we soaked our (better than most hay) every feeding all winter, I hung a haynet, I put hay on the floor, nothing worked. changed shavings to better quality and he is turned out as much as possible, and the barn is 2 yrs old and well ventilated. I have tried, ZEV, Windaid, he has had expensive medicine from the vet, basically to open airways, cant remember name and he was on a powder medication again cant remember name sorry, but was to help produce phlegm. He very occasionally coughs up a thick mucus. 2am this morning I am listening to him coughing really badly out in the field, it is a dry low unproductive cough, you almost want to take him water.... He is ridden and that does not trigger coughing. Im  totally stumped, going to try Breathe by Herbs for Horses, anyone used?.  Strange thing is I have had a bad cough since April also which has not cleared either, I even took Windaid on one coughing fit, never to do that again. Just read articicle on sands from China causing problems, we are on the Niagara Escapment, so also wondering about the effects of pollution.  Any advice as I hate to hear my poor horse coughing all the time. Thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tackforu
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eileen » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:44 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#How old is this horse, how long has this been going on?  If the vet has checked him and you have tried just about everything known to mankind, it may be a cronic thing, which happens in some older horses.  I am just thinking out loud here, I dont know anything about your particular horse.#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Morgan1981 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:29 pm

Perhaps you should have him checked for COPD? I have a horse that developped this illness and he was so bad at one point we thought we were going to have to put him down. Over the years it has gotten better and he is medication free for about 3 years but I had to semi-retire him. It may be something to look into.

Also could it just be allergies? Maybe try another vet and get a second opinion. HAve you tried scoping?

Good luck
Repeat frequently,
Be happy with very little,
Reward generously for progress.

-n. oliveras
Morgan1981
Newbies
Newbies

cough

Postby tackforu » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#he is 13yr old qh gelding and has had it on and off 2 years. He was seen by 2 different vets who both agreed with diagnosis. Someone suggested inhalents like asthma suffers take, but cant figure out how to give it to him. His coat is good, he doesnt look unhealthy, has trouble maintaining weight, but has healthy appetite,  Ive had him 4yrs and he has always been that way. Anything is worth a try, What does scoping show up? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tackforu
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Morgan1981 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:08 pm

With an inhaler you just pump it into a plastic bag and then place the bag over the horse's nose...this is how I've done it..maybe there is another way.

Scoping will show you if you ahve any soft pallet problems as well as it will allow you to take a look at the lungs. I had one horse scoped and he was diagnosed with COPD which is a degenerative lung disease. If it is caught early then the progression may be slowed down. There is no cure but with steriods and the proper care of his environment you can definitely slow down the degenerative process. It is certainly something to ask your vet about...hopefully he/she will rule it out.

Have you niticed that this problem comes with a certain time of year? Perhaps it is allergies?
Repeat frequently,
Be happy with very little,
Reward generously for progress.

-n. oliveras
Morgan1981
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Positively4thStreet » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are you near any orchards or vinyards?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Could be pesticides. They're starting to spray everything now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby tackforu » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No we are not near orchards directly, but they are below the escarpement. We noticed that he coughs when he gets hay even after being out 24/7 He got his first taste of this years hay which is A1 quality, fresh and NO dust or mold, and he started coughing immediately! so wondering whether to take him off hay completely and just feed cubes? Any recommendations for quantity of cubes versus flakes of hay, he is 16hh about 1300 pounds. Thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tackforu
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Happy Appy's » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#just try wetting the hay. It will take a week or more to see a great difference.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby tackforu » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We spent the winter soaking our hay for every feeding had hoped we wouldn't have to with the new stuff as it is very time consuming and messy. If it isnt dusty or moldy and no weeds what would make him cough?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tackforu
Newbies
Newbies

Postby zooka » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if it is such a persistent problem scoping definitely sounds like a good idea.  Maybe there is something there that is irritating your horses air ways.  Did your vets ever mention scoping?  It may settle whether it is something within him or if it is something in the air or food that he is reacting to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Happy Appy's » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Some horses just don't do well on dry hay. Wet hay is softer and might not bother them as much, not as scratchy on the throat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

now Im stumped

Postby tackforu » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jake outside 24/7, put him on new hay, which is totally better than last year, he only coughs around 5am for about 20 mins. I was still blaming hay, as they wander over to hay first thing and finish off the previous nights hay....well this am had a lie in and NO hay in field, and guess what 5am Jake starts coughing.....plenty of fresh clean water in trough.. Now I wonder do horses suffer from dry throats like we do first thing?? He does not cough throughout the day, he is ridden in a sand ring and does not cough, and galloped on trail rides no cough.? Does anyone have similiar.... thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tackforu
Newbies
Newbies

Postby High Hopes » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had a 'similar' thing happen to an Irish Sport horse I previously owned.  He did not go through coughing fits though.  His breathing just was not right one day, and we ended up with the dx of pneumonia (definately NOT the case with your horse).  I would really suggest having your horse scoped (I had this done).  It gives you a good clear picture on what you are dealing with.  Ie whether it is COPD/Heaves, or something else (allergy related).  If you are not satisfied with the answers you are getting with you are getting from your current equine vets then get a second opinion..they never hurt, and a fresh set of eyes might pick up on something that the orginal did not.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyhoo.. my guy went the steriod route for 6 months ventipulimin (sp majorly), and I think the other was prednisone (sp too!)... but being that I think at times vets live to make their bank accounts a bit richers.. I did use breathe/respiration.  It worked well for him.  It kept his airway well and kept his hay wet and him outside as much as humanly possibly for his situaiton and I came away with minimal scarring to the left lung.  He recovered great and it did not impeed his air intake at all.  You might want to try apple cider vinegar as well?  I used this with my gelding throughout the time, and I think it helped him.  I detest Zev (but that is a personal thing).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyhoo..good luck and pm me if you would like to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Before I loved horses I had nothing to live for, Now I love horses and can't stop seeing things to live for. God bless the Creature that is so noble they make me feel ALIVE!!
High Hopes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can you elaborate on the use of the apple cider vinegar a bit?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition