Zincofax.. your thoughts

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Zincofax.. your thoughts

Postby zooka » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Zooka has 2 cuts/gashes on her hind leg in the hock area.  I have been cleaning them and putting on an anti biotic that the vet suggested...  Problem is they are not going away and if anything are opening more.  They are not serious enough for stitches.  I asked my bo yesterday for a suggestion of what else may work to help keep it clean and help it heal.  She suggested Zincofax that is used for diaper rashes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have heard of it being used on rubs and small nics but never for anything of a decent size.  She swears by it though.  Has anyone used this for cuts and what have you thought of it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby draftdriver » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:13 pm

I use zinc ointment to prevent sunburn, or to help get rid of scratches (greasy heel). For a largish cut, I would be more inclined to use an antibiotic cream or something with tea tree oil in it, or perhaps furasone ointment.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Furazone is my suggestion.  The antibotic cream is drying the wound out, you need the furazone to keep the wound moist.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use diaper ointment for cracked heels, light scrapes and sunburn.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have never used anything but Furazone, Furazone sweats and diaper ointment all with great success.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was using furazone, but with how it is on the hock everyday it is just opening more.  That is why I switched to the zincofax.  I need to find something that will heal it faster then it will open...  or somethign like that  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley17.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My theory is if you do not have success with in a certain amount of time it is time to try something else...  I figure I'd give this a try and if it still will not start to heal I'll get the vet out again!!!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby FlashieShine » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i've used zincofax with small cuts and scrapes, never anything big. for more serious cuts i've used a product called dermagel. it works wonders, but its really expensive. let us know how the zincofax works for you on a larger cut.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
FlashieShine
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Chisholm » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your problem is that it's on a major joint.  Just keep putting the furazone on it and keep it clean.  Keep it moist!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't bother getting the vet out for small stuff like that.  It takes time to heal in that area.  Zincofax is great for Mud Fever especially mixed with furazone according to my vet.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just keep it clean and apply furazone or boroform or even blue lotion.  Keep the flies out to avoid infection.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well after 2 applications of zincofax the cut is looking MUCH better then it was with the furazone.  I was having trouble applying enough of the furazone to the cut with the zincofax I just slather it on and it stays.  The boroform just seemed to wipre off too easy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is probably how I was applying the furazone cause i know it is good but I now know zincofax is idiot proof #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/2.gif"#ed_cl# Thanks for the help everyone.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only other problem now is how huge her leg is...  she is out all day moving and I cold wrap it when she is in but it is still huge.  I'm guessing it will just take time to go down now that the cut is under control.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

leg cut

Postby honeydew » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:22 pm

It seems to me you are doing everything right. Keeping it clean and applying salve. for a leg wound I always apply Wonder dust. Proud flesh is predominate on the leg area. The hock is no exception. At the first site of a cut on the leg (hock and knee and lower) I apply wonder dust first. The equivelent is fine also.

Next time use wonder dust or equivelent to coagulate the wound. It works faster than other salves for a slightly open wound that cannot use sutures.

Hope I could help!
honeydew

Postby Chisholm » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Put a furazone sweat on it at night.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Furazone on the whole  leg, saranwrap and then cotton and bandage, just don't put the bandage on to tight.   The stockiness should be completely down by morning.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Jakesterd » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If this is the type of wound that may lead to some proud flesh then you may want to talk to your vet about a new product called Vulketan. It promotes the smooth healing of injuries where proud flesh may be a problem.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sold by vets for about $30.00 a tube. Distributed by Meriel#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you have a high speed connection go to #ed_op#A href="http://www.bardagriventures.com/Injury.htm"#ed_cl#http://www.bardagriventures.com/Injury.htm#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#  to see how its working on my 3 yrear old. The pics are big files as I havent edited them yet but fairly clear in detail.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your a barfer, dont look..lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jake#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jakesterd
Newbies
Newbies

Postby 2dapoint » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi Jake, nice to have you peeping in again!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had to go to see.. call me morbid.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyways, couple of questions - did they leave the stitches in for so long because of the location and probability of separation?  And hasn't anyone heard of using honey?  The saliva contained within tends to inhibit or break down scar tissue, yet the antifungicides and antimicrobials naturally contained within tend to keep things "cleaner".  I've seen some pretty amazing healing from simple honey applied to the most disgusting messes.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Jakesterd » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its about time to take out the stitches. The skin flap has been acting like a cover and has slowly dried out. Once the stitchers are out it will eventually fall off or I may trim it down a bit first.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its ugly but he isnt going to shows and it is a long way from his heart..lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#jake#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jakesterd
Newbies
Newbies

Postby 2dapoint » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh Jake, you are too funny!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't hear that expression very often (long way from his heart) but it is VERY apt sometimes!  Kudos to you for at least trying everything you can to get that mess cleaned up!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only thing I've ever seen that was worse (if you can imagine) was a filly that reared up on a hotwalker and the CHAIN portion of her lead peeled the skin up from about halfway down her front tendon up past the back of her knee.  Because of the chain catching so much, there wasn't enough skin really left to try to sew back together - although the vet, lord love him - did try. It's amazing how much that skin really does stretch and when nothing is holding it, how much it contracts back on itself!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sometimes, the stitches may look awful, but the wound look a kagillion times better once the "radio antenna" are out and not drawing the eye!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Will you continue to update the site with pics?  Are you taking them on a daily basis or just every other from here on through?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That cream IS doing amazing things, I'll have to agree.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can you share what caused that mess in the first place? or have you and I'm in a fog right now?  (gotta get that first morning coffee into me)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Jakesterd » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Our best guess is that he was scared into the 3 wire electric fence by a bear.. Yup! We reportedly have a mom and cub wandering about our nook of the woods. He pulled down 60 foot of wire and 1 post.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We came out on Jul 1  at 7 am and there he was.. 3 hours and $265.00 of vet bills later the recovery began. Vets are at least reasonably priced out here in the boonies.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I will post new pice next week. Tonite is remove the stitches and trim the detritis night. Yumm#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#JD#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jakesterd
Newbies
Newbies

Postby zooka » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow Jake that looks awful!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Luckily my girl is not that bad and luckily it has improved quite a bit it is looking like I am out of the woods with the proud flesh issue.  I will keep that med on file though incase anything happens again... knock wood it doesn't!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I usually use betadine for cleaning wounds... It works pretty good. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby High Hopes » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is a 'wee' bit late in the game.  For cleasing I'll use, Betadine, epsom salts w/ warm water, saline and betadine mixutre (I think that is what is done up!).  That is the 3 of choice.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For insuring skin growth back.  I have used a product called Derma Gel w/ great success with a 2 yr old that I had that had a cut that we tried with stitches, needless to say they did not stay.  It went through daily cleansing and application of that stuff and it healed great with no proud flesh.  I do like the furazone, but I tend to get mine mixed with DMSO, just seems to work better.  Another product that is great for promoting hair growth is Jomac.  It is blue pastey but it works awesome, and rather quickly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good to hear that your horsey is on the mend!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Before I loved horses I had nothing to live for, Now I love horses and can't stop seeing things to live for. God bless the Creature that is so noble they make me feel ALIVE!!
High Hopes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A friend of mine had to look after a horse that got gashed across the chest by the horn of a Highland cow and the vet recommended they keep it packed with icing sugar of all things! They don't think it was an intentional slash, and that the cow probably just swung it's head to get at a fly. Anyway, horsie recovered just fine.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition