Barefoot Trimming; Natural Trimming

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Barefoot Trimming; Natural Trimming

Postby RioG » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Whatever it's called, I'm curious about your experiences, thoughts, input on the subject.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio has been diagnosed with navicular, the definition of which changes all of the time.  Traditional "cures" have been bar shoes and raising the heels, which I have done with success.  The pain is significantly reduced to the point where she travels sound, willingly and with no ill effects after the ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However, I have noticed that her frog is diminishing, obviously not performing its intended function.  And her heels look to my uneducated eye as if they are becoming seriously contracted.  I've been reading and amazing thread over on Ultimate Dressage about natural barefoot trims, and am wondering if this is the route we should go.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know this mare (whom I've owned for over 10 years) is done in the showring, other than some small schooling level stuff.  And I also know I could never sell her/give her away as I'm far too attached.  I also know I want to be able to ride her and learn dressage, so perhaps my concern should be to get her sound for as many future years as possible, instead of just "right now".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm also very intrigued about the possibility of trimming her myself, which "barefooters" seem to advocate.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any thoughts?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Adpaga » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:59 pm

Hi RioG,#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#please keep in mind that I have no experience with Navicular, and will only comment on the barefoot aspect.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#The
three dressage horses that are in my care are all warmbloods,senior to
junior. Two of them have had shoes on in the past (shod allround for
all their previous life), the younger one only got shoes thisspring. I
used to take the shoes off in the winter to let the feet restand widen,
and did find an added comfort in their gaits while barefoot.This spring
I did put the shoes back on for a while, but decided withthe OK of my
vet and farrier to take them off again, since the groundson which they
train and show are mostly excellent. We are finding thatthey have
gained in movement, soundness (thrush, narrow heels, chips,etc are
gone) and general quality of the foot. I have to credit myfarrier who
comes every 4 weeks to check on them, and make sure thefeet remain
balanced, but for 25$ a trim against 85$-160$ for a set ofalluminium
shoes, it is well worth it. All horses have sucessfullycompeted this
year, are on full daytime group turnout, hack, trailetc... The older
one had some issues that had made trailers necessaryfor shoeing in the
back feet, and used to flaire up in the backpasturen. He has been
farefoot since this winter and has not once beenoff, even though he was
pulled out of retirement two weeks before anational show my other horse
couldn't go to, and had to perform a soliddressage level..#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#So my
opinion would be: check with your vet and farrier, and if bothare
comfortable with it and your farrier is willing to make the extraeffort
of a more frequent visit, please, let your horses free!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Adpaga
Groupie
Groupie

Postby 2dapoint » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi Rio#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm sorry to hear about your mare.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What I can tell you is that navicular is a *funny* syndrome to diagnose.. and any vet or farrier will agree.  You can have a horse who's navicular bone resembles swiss cheese still going sound and a horse with nothing showing up on the fluroscope be unable to walk.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OFTEN (but not always) a large part of the problem does have to do with shoes.  The hoof naturally expands and contracts with the contact on the ground.  The frog does the same, encouraging circulation with that movement as blood fills and then is pushed out of it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BUT, please, just don't fall into the category of "it MUST be better".  There are quite a few horses who's owners gave the barefoot method a "go" and then kept on "going" feeling that "just one more month should show us the difference".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#By all means, try!!  Even allow for a few months for her feet to re-accustom themselves to actually feeling and reacting to the ground.  But be definite in what you are seeing and what you expect to see as goals that you will call "success".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not knocking it.  In fact, I'll be one of the first to ENcourage it.  I've just seen a few too many horses hobbling around pastures when their owners refused to believe that shoes, while not perfect, did make just enough of a difference for that horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"the barefoot farrier" has become something other than it began - it's now a fad.  And like all fads, there are victims along the way.  Not that you've ever given any indication that you are thoughtless (I hope I didn't come across as saying that), just keep doing what you're doing - caring enough to investigate and be critical. Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you for taking the time to reply.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've decided against the barefoot route on the advice of my vet.  From what I've read and just from what seems natural, I wish I could do it for her.  But common sense (and my vets opinion) says that the shoes make her comfortable and relatively pain free.  Going barefoot would be a gamble in not knowing if it would help her or not.  I don't think I could bear watching her hobble around with only the hope that she would experience relief.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shelly, I do agree that perhaps it's become a fad, but it has definitely helped to educate, and I now am more aware for any future horses.  Natural is the way to go I think, provided the damage hasn't already been done.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby barefoot » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Navicular syndrome is man-made#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dr. Bowker, V.M.D.,Ph.D.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When diagnosed with navicular disease, he maybe able to get over it with proper trimming and exercise. It is not the end of the horse but, unfortunately, people want their horses fixed today and they have to remember that the tissues in the foot are connective tissue, cartilage, and bone.  These are slow to heal, so it takes time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Putting pads and shoes on the horse and raising the heel "will be good for a short period of time- a few months, maybe-and then the horse crashes again.  That is why navicular syndrome has always been thought of as being a terminal disease."#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope it works out for Rio.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
barefoot
Newbies
Newbies

Postby draftdriver » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:11 am

I've heard a very experienced farrier (who teaches farriery) say that navicular can often be alleviated by shoeing in such a manner that the hoof is encouraged to become larger, and more open at the heels.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Leena » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My experience with barefoot and natural trimming is that you need a very good farrier and you keep him !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I bought my filly, the farrier told me to leave her barefoot as long as I can. She is 5 yo and had shoes for 6 months in her life 2 years ago.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She will be back on training in November after weaning and I will shoe her simply because she has white feet and her feet get damage a lot on training. Even if I put Hutt Stuff.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually, leaving a horse barefoot until 4 yo is something I will continue to do for my youngsters.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Unfortunately, my marvelous farrier has had a major hand injury and I am still searching one as good as he was and this is my biggest problem.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I feel sorry for you and your mare, sorry for all the bad things happening to you but if I was you I would stick with what is working right now. Getting your mare barefoot is a big risk at this point, especially if the pain is diminish. I believe there is enough reserach on navicular to help you and your mare.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope this help and good luck !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition