i think my horse has worms

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

i think my horse has worms

Postby pony crazy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my mare has lost a considerable amount of weight,but is still eating her same amount of food as usual.she also has a circular blemish on her lip.it's hard and flat.she has been wormed regularly,althought she has not been wormed this month yet.any suggestions or comments?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pony crazy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby pmc » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The circular blemish on her lip should be checked out by a vet.  Could be ringworm, or, more likely, a sarcoid.  How big is it?  A dime?  A quarter?  A loonie?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your horse is being wormed regularily and properly, the weight loss shouldn't be attributable to worms.  If in doubt, your vet will take a stool sample and have it analyzed.  Lots of horses have been dropping some weight this summer due to the intense heat and humidity.  If, however, the weight loss is worrisome, again, get your vet to have a look.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The circular blemish sounds like a bot fly emergence. I had one on a horse I used to have. I would worm her immediately. Also, what are the paddock arrangements like? Some horses housed in a smaller paddock without the removal or spreading of the manure are more likely to recycle the worms. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby pony crazy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The blemish is in between a quarter and a loonie.The bot flys have been bad this year.I had the vet look at her a month ago when i noticed the weight loss.she has been eating almost more than her usual.she just looks terrible.they will be wormed asap,there are three other horses out with her and they all look fine weight wise and no blemishes.I've never had this problem before.I'm concerned but not if you know what i mean.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pony crazy
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition