Riding After a Floating

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Riding After a Floating

Postby chenders01 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So Tequila is having her teeth checked/floated and her wolf teeth pulled tomorrow.  Obviously, I won't be riding her (she'll be sedated) at all tomorrow, but was wondering how soon I could ride her?  What do you guys do?  With my previous two horses, I always rode the next day with no problems.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I asked my BO about it, he said that he normally does not put a bit in their mouths for at least a week after a floating (he either rides with a side-pull or just a halter and reins).  I don't know if I'm brave enough to ride Tequila without a bit in her mouth so I'm wondering what you all think about how soon it's okay to put a bit back in her mouth??  I'll ask my vet tomorrow...I just had never heard of giving a horse a *week* to recover, before putting a bit in it's mouth again.  Is my BO just overly cautious?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Opinions?  Comments?  What do YOU do?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd say get on the next day and see how Tequila feels.  Different horses react differently to stuff being done with them.  Tequila will let you know if it hurts or not and if she does seem uncomfy just keep your workouts very short with not too much contact on the mouth until she seems better.  If she does not care then ride her but keep in mind that she had teeth pulled so no hard pressure.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At least that is my thoughts on this...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby draftdriver » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:51 pm

One of my horses needs such extensive work every time, that she is put on bute for a couple of days after a float. You might ask about that. I'd wait at least a couple of days, and then try hacking on a long/loose rein, if your horse is the sensible sort. Judge from that whether the horse is ready for more contact.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Keetee » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:20 pm

It really depends on your horse, what work they have done and how
gentle the dentist is.  The dentist/vet should be able to give you
some guidance but for a regular float we usually ride the next day
without problem.  If one of our horses has had extensive work, the
dentist/vet usually gives us guidance and we just take it easy the
first time we get on.  Because you are still getting to know your
mare and don't know how sensitive she usually is, take it easy at first
in case she is an overly sensitive type.
Keetee
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Rio Roulette » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Depends on the horse and how intrusive the dentistry is. My horse had a blind canine worked on at the same time he had his wolf teeth out. I had to give him a few days. After a regular floating I don't wait long though. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My vet says that his clients report great rides after they get work done and still have a bit of "happy juice" in their systems. ;) The horses, that is, not the riders. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, Tequila had her teeth floated, and the two wolf teeth pulled yesterday.  The vet said to not put a bit in her mouth for a week...not because of the floating but because of the teeth that were pulled.  There are holes where those teeth used to be so I would expect that her mouth might be a little sore for awhile.  I asked about bute-ing her and he said that most horses don't need it.  I was out last night and she seemed her normal self.  She got the night off though...just a nice grooming.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I might try riding her tonight, in just her halter.  She's really good in the sand-ring (not spooky) so I might just get on and walk her around a bit.  I can always do ground work with her too...can never do enough of that LOL!!  I'll take the vet's advice though and probably give her until next weekend before putting her bridle back on her again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cirrus had her teeth pulled before I ever put a bit in her mouth, but when she did the dentist suggested at least week before I did start putting one in. She recovered really well. They do say that the mouth is the fasted healing part of the body. I think we gave her a little bute the night they were pulled but after that she was totally fine. I'd definitely give her a week of bitless work whatever that maybe and in a week see how she reacts when you put her bit back in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#(For a routine floating I've ridden the day of with no problems)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders, I had Meeka's wolf teeth pulled just a couple months ago...  The vet told me to wait about a week as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just wanted to warn you that when you *do* get back on in a week, she still may be sensitive.  I know Meeka was.  She threw her head around for about 1-2 weeks after i started riding her again (so 2-3 weeks after getting them pulled). Vet warned me she might be like that since she wasn't able to get whole root out.  She is fine now. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not sure if your vet was able to get the root fully out but just thought I'd give a heads up in case Tequila plays giraffe when you finally get back up there. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Dee22 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hackamores are wonderful things!!! If your leary of riding in just a halter, you should try one out Chenders :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#(best $30 investment I ever made)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby pmc » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When Snickers gets floated, he gets the day off, even though he doesn't need to be sedated for the float. (He's not the most sensitive brick in the wall! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl# )#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do recall giving him a week off after having his wolf teeth out, though...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks, all!  Yes, Tequila got a week off after having her wolf-teeth pulled.  She's fine now #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//grin.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I ride Boomer lightly right after the float. For him it is a little different scenario, as he has site reactions to vaccines, and because he usually gets a vaccine or two at the same time as the float and he is supposed to be worked lightly to get the vaccine moving.... However he also gets an IV anti-inflammatory to help combat the site reaction, which I'm sure helps with any discomfort he might have from the float. Unfortunately he still had to be on bute for a week after his last needle as he reacted anyway. I start his shots in March and it usually takes until June by the time they're all done, it's quite the procedure.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad Tequila's doing well!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition