Finally have to consider surgery for ringbone.... Update sad

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Finally have to consider surgery for ringbone.... Update sad

Postby Rio Roulette » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, my options are now limited to surgical fusion of the right rear fetlock joint.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've gone the Adequan route, supplements, etc. but my horse is now showing signs that he can't handle the ringbone progression in his fetlock joint. I'm having another vet out on Tuesday togive me a second opinion and take a set of xrays.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is an experimental procedure going on at the University of Saskatoon, where the joint is injected with an acid that eats away the remaining cartiledge and forces bone growth to fuse the joint. Guelph (and I guess other equine surgeries in Ontario) can do the metal plate and screw insertion that will also fuse the joint. The surgery is very successful and horses go back to work, provided they can survive the post op.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Knowing he had high ringbone and that it was progressing (after taking annual radiographs over the last 2 years), my vet was pushing me to get the plate/screw surgery. But because it means 4-6 weeks in hospital in a leg cast 3 months of stall rest, handwalking after, and a gradual (6-12 months) recovery I wanted to be sure that my horse had enough talent to make it worth this "hell on earth" for him that could last up to a year. So I put him with a trainer who was doing some terrific things with him, but now he's really showing the deterioration of the joint. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm hoping to find out more about the acid injection route - since it appears to be still experimental, it may not be an option. But both my vet and I are going to contact the University in Saskatoon and find out. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does anybody know of, or have experience with the equine surgeries (I guess they do mainly racehorses) that are outside of the University of Guelph? I understand the surgery at those locations is cheaper. Is there one in the London area?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks, this is the first time I'm writing about this because I need to work through it in my head. It's a huge decision and not one I'm taking lightly. However, the options are not pleasant either - euthanization being one of them :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Rio Roulette on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had no idea there was surgery for ringbone.  I don't think I would even consider putting him through something like that....sorry just me opinion.  Most horses I know with ringbone still go on and have good lives just NOT competing or working hard.  You could try contacting Ilderton they ARE always cheaper than Guelph OVC it they do that procedure.  I think they are now called London Equine...Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby 2dapoint » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio - first off, I'm sorry.   You've been hauling around this HUGE burden all alone for soo long...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Second.  I'm sorry - I haven't even taken the time to TRY to see what I could about the surgery (yet).  The thing that "jumps out" at me is the recovery time.  Not that it's a bad thing per se, but.  You are doing this on a horse that already has limited years of comfort.  Sure, if the surgery works you might just extend that by a few more.  Right?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But one of them is eaten up (perhaps a poor choice of wording - I'm sorry again) by his time to recover from the surgery alone.  And by fusing the joint, I'm thinking you're not looking at 5-10 fantastic performance years either.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It *sounds* like a stop gap measure that isn't really what you're hoping for.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Perhaps overly pessimistic, and perhaps premature.  Just my opinion of the moment.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let me go see what I can find.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I'm so sorry to hear that Rio, jingles for you and your horse! How old is he? What do you hope to do with him afterward? Poor little guy....best of luck to  you 2 :) #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Rio Roulette » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Patricia - that must be the place my vet meant. The procedure is called "Surgical arthrodesis" and it's not all that uncommon is my understanding. I have heard that horses go right back to work once healed (even high level dressage) and I've also heard that the horse's career is limited after. So I don't know what to believe. More research is definitely necessary. I'm going to start phoning this week. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shelly/Sodapoppers - he's only just turned 7. If I can be reassured that there is no other problem "brewing" then having the surgery, even if it turns him into a solid trail horse, I will get many years of pleasure from him, and he'll have many years pain-free. He's got a terrific mind, a great work attitude and he's the kind of horse you LOVE to feed. He's having secondary problems now, with muscle spasms (almost like pinched nerve) where he is practically crippled on that hind leg some days. If I leave him as is, he will undoubtedly start to show signs of stress in the other 3 legs. I can't keep buting him and expect him not to develop tons of other issues with internal organs. Having him put down is one of the options, but certainly the last one I'd look at. If you find any good info, please do share - I'd be happy to learn anything you find out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I hate the fact of the long recovery. And I hear that's where some of the horses develop problems - the surgery itself is quite successful. It's during the recovery that a horse could do himself damage. That's a long time in a leg cast!!! I can afford $$ the surgery. I have him and a hano filly X and 2 horses are my limit financially and still do other things. I can't afford to keep 3 horses permanently as I board (well I could but I'd be "horse poor").#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However, my neighbour is putting her 4 yo Canadian X up for free lease for the winter and I'm thinking I could keep my mind off all this by taking him on for the winter - am I nuts or what?? Because not being able to continue my riding is a factor. I'm riding my trainers horses in lessons, and I take up to 3 lessons a week. I'm really starting to "get it" as far as the riding goes - finally found the perfect coach/trainer..... UGH. The thought of not having a riding horse is killing me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What a dilema. I don't want to have to chose between riding and being the owner of lawn ornaments. It'll be 2 more years before I even back the filly. She too, has a terrific personality and will make a great hunter/jumper some day (although dressage is my "thing".)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for listening. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Rio Roulette » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sorry - posted wrong. my mind is like scrambled eggs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#It sounds like you really care about him, so why not take the plunge if you can swing it financially? Yea, that is a long recovery time for him....but if you really want him it would be worth it right?  I sure don't envy your position though...best of luck to you :) #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Rio Roulette » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks so much *sigh* - I'm going to start making some calls today to find out more. The vet (2nd opinion) comes out tomorrow - come hell or high water I'm going to get the day off to be there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wish it was just a matter of deciding to turn him out for the rest of his life, but I can't dojust that he's in too much discomfort - it's surgery or....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dream_Merchant » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:29 am

<font face='times new roman' size=2 color=#609A9F><i>
*hugs Rio* No an easy decision -- I know all too well.

My top showjumper had surgery at the start of this year because of a breathing difficultly he had. His larynx had collapsed during his racing career (the flaps had sagged down and become parallysed) -- so it was like you or me trying to run a marathon breathing through a straw. Impossible!! And he was jumping 1.30m at the end of the year, and he was really struggling with, even started to stop near the end of rounds gasping for air, and he is a horse that WILL NOT STOP!! Which meant, something had to be done for him.

So off to Murdoch we went, and after the scope, he was booked in for the surgery the next week. I had just lost my other good horse a few months ago, and you can understand how edgey I was. Mum said I was like a mother expecting -- I was there from 6am when they first opened, stood in his box next to him, just cuddling him, with tears in my eyes. He keep nuzzling me and nickering everytime I went off to the loo or something, he was really worried. When they took him out of his box to prepare him for surgury, I was standing around the corner, anyway, he started calling out and going off his brain in the crush, Mum said he was gazing around and stuff, and said as soon as I came back in the room and he saw me, he calmed straight down and relaxed. Mum has always said he gets worried about things if I'm not around, I've never believed her until that day!!

Anyway, when I seen them cart my baby into the padded red room where they drop them down, I had tears welling in my eyes, then I heard the loud thud of him dropping down... from then, at 9am in the morning, until 1pm in the afternoon, I did not stop crying and weeping. I feel so pathetic when I think about it now. The main reason I was so worried is because he is such a fighter, if he is restricted in any way, he will break every bone in his body to get the hell out of there. So, been under I was worried for him because of all the normal complications -- however, my biggest fear was when he was to come out of the surgery and to wake up, I was so frightened he would fight the anesthetic that he would thrash around and break his leg (it has happened before in there on a rare occassion).

When the vet came out to tell me the surgery was a success, I completely broke down, poor guy freaked out and kept saying, "it's ok, he's fine, really, the surgery went fantastic"... it was mum that finally told him it was the waking up part that scared me the most, that he understood. Anyway, at the same time, the guy who is in charge of the anesthetic, came in to tell me that Sandy was a real fighter, kept trying to wake up on the table and fighting the anthestic, so he kept having to put him deeper -- just the dam news I needed to hear!!! So yer, for the next hour and a half while he was waking up (they gave him a heap of tranquilizer so that his body would wake up completely before his mind did, so that when he woke up mentally, he body would react to what he wanted to happen). Which helped him alot, naturally, I heard him bash around a bit as he got up, and heard him snorting in there (which I was told by a vet student there is normal, helping them clear the blood and gunk from their throat).

Finally, there staggered my dopey baby from the red room -- and yes, just after I had pulled myself together, I balled!! This time in happiness, and also when he seen me and nickered out, so sweet!! (pathetic thing is, I'm teary now remembering it!)

So darl -- after that LONG and WINDED tale, I know how hard it is, *hugs tightly* it's a decision that is hard, and to be there through the surgery is tough as well. Naturally, I was there each day for the first five days seeing him, holding my boy out to grass and such -- which the students said really helped him, because he would become upset when I wasn't there. I hope everything goes well for your guy -- keep us posted on how he goes!!
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby Rio Roulette » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#Thanks for your story DM - I would have been just like you!#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#I spoke to the London Equine hospital and learned a lot! Thought I would share.#ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#This type of ringbone (high ringbone)&nbsp;happens most often with barrel racers and race horses.#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#The chances of a horse being completely sound and going right back to #ed_op#U#ed_cl#performance work#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# is 58-60%#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#The more pain the horse is in going into the surgery, the more likely it is to succeed (just like humans!) #ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#The procedure is as follows – bring the horse in on a Monday. Tuesday, open the joint and put in either 3 screws across the joint or 2 screws and a plate.&nbsp; Put the horse in a cast and SEND HIM HOME! In 3-4 weeks he returns to the hospital and has (under general anesthetic) they x-ray again and the is cast replaced. Sometimes they have to do a 3#ed_op#SUP#ed_cl#rd#ed_op#/SUP#ed_cl# cast change, but more often than not, they don’t. The 2#ed_op#SUP#ed_cl#nd#ed_op#/SUP#ed_cl# cast can be removed in 3-4 weeks. Then he spends the next 3-4 #ed_op#U#ed_cl#months#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# standing in a stall. If the fusion progresses normally, then it can be a 6 month recovery – however, it could take up to 12 months. #ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#The joint CAN fuse on it’s own without surgery, but it takes a very long time and there are no statistics on this.&nbsp; More often than not, it will partially fuse and the horse will continue to be in pain. #ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#This surgery is a fairly major procedure and there is the potential for things going wrong. Infection is a big one. Also, if the horse does not take well to stall rest and walks in the stall (the pain in the joint from the surgery only lasts a few days – so the horse doesn’t know he’s still healing) he can bend the screws in the joint and damage himself. This will be my horse - he hates stall rest.#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#The cost for the surgery, cast changes and x-rays is about $4,500 - $5,000 (Cdn)#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#The other option is the one they are doing is #ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /#ed_cl##ed_op#st1:City style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#st1:place style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on"#ed_cl#Saskatoon#ed_op#/st1:place#ed_cl##ed_op#/st1:City#ed_cl# and I still need to call them. But the surgeon at London Equine said that the acid (monoloto acetate – not sure if I have the spelling right) is a very painful procedure. But he said that if the horse is in pain already, then it’s not an issue. Most horses need a powerful pain killer for the first 3 days or so and the pain subsides in 2-3 weeks. &nbsp;It takes longer for the joint to fuse than with the surgery. The injection is a procedure that is chosen when:#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#a)#ed_op#FONT face="Times New Roman" size=1#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#the horse does not cope well with stall rest#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#b)#ed_op#FONT face="Times New Roman" size=1#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#to avoid complications, it’s less invasive, no chance of infection#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#c)#ed_op#FONT face="Times New Roman" size=1#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#when money is an issue, it’s a lot cheaper#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#d)#ed_op#FONT face="Times New Roman" size=1#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#when the joint is already showing signs of fusing on its own and it needs a bit of “help”. #ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#e)#ed_op#FONT face="Times New Roman" size=1#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#when it’s a hind leg, as ringbone here is less of an issue than when it’s in the front#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#This surgeon made one thing #ed_op#U#ed_cl#perfectly clear#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# (and it’s what I’ve been saying to my vet, BO and dh): Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that this joint is the problem. He recommends that nerve blocking is done to isolate that joint as the issue. He is totally against doing ANY joint fusion until all other possibilities have been ruled out. He even recommends that the other leg be x-rayed in the event that it is also happening there. #ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"#ed_cl#I am going to call #ed_op#st1:place style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#st1:City style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on"#ed_cl#Saskatoon#ed_op#/st1:City#ed_cl##ed_op#/st1:place#ed_cl# this afternoon and see what I can find out.#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dream_Merchant » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:13 am

<font face='times new roman' size=2 color=#609A9F><i>
Have you tried using magnetics on him??

I had a horse with ringbone on his hind pasterns, and a little bit on his fore pasterns -- I put cannon boots on him with the magnetics in, and also pastern wraps on him -- I found the swelling around the ringbone went down and actually halved the bone size (obviously most of it was swelling and not the "ringbone itself") -- he used to dig massive holes in his stable overnight, and after a few days of having them on, he stopped doing it, and became a lot sounder. His jumping life I believe was extended a few years, and now he is in the paddock at 23, he could still easily be jumping because he is sound with the magnetics on, but he is now rugged up and babysitting my weanlings.

Perhaps you could try this while other options are been looked into more closely?? Might be a cheaper option alltogether -- or at the least, it could ease your horse's pain for awhile before the surgery occurs. I honestly swear by magnetics, and I can tell you a heap of success stories I've had with them!</i></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby Rio Roulette » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm willing to try just about anything.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He was a demo horse once in a magnet clinic that was done at our previous barn. I found he became agitated when they used the "magnet gun" on him. I haven't tried just the simple magnets.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are they special ones, or can I use the ones off the fridge? (only 1/2 kidding #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The magnets are made for horses and are in boots and blankets.&nbsp; They do not wear them all the time, but rather for a period of time...I believe.&nbsp; I would recommend you do a search.&nbsp; They are expensive BUT may be a good alternative and worth a try.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Rio Roulette » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#X-rays show that the joint is disintegrating. Surgery is not an option. There are bone chips floating and the pastern bone is full of holes. Vet doesn't know how it is that the horse is still walking. Said that it almost looks like septic arthritis - used the word "horrendous" to describe the joint. Told me it likely was not the result of an injury (before I got him). It has just progressed WAAY to fast. Last year at this time the x-ray showed the bone growth just entering the pastern joint.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The vet nerve blocked the whole foot and the horse was just as lame (crippled is what the vet said). So we took hock x-rays too and there's arthritic changes in there as well. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I go to look at the x-rays with the vet on Monday or Tuesday next week. This is looking very sad right now. I have to start thinking about the "E" word. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley19.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby draftdriver » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:15 pm

So sorry. It can be difficult deciding 'whether' or 'when'. My thoughts are with you.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am SO sorry....When I had to take care of my boy...I gave him time.&nbsp; I made sure I didn't keep him around for ME.&nbsp; I just sort of knew when it was time.&nbsp; You may have him with you for some time yet.&nbsp; Make the best of those moments.&nbsp; Thinking of you.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:22 pm

How very sad. Make the most of your time together. Hugs.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Terry3025 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#((((((((HUGS))))))))&nbsp; I am very sorry that things are not working out for you guys.&nbsp; Definitely make the most of your time with him and remember the good times when he wasn't in pain.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby Rio Roulette » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you so much everybody... I gave him a good dose of bute tonight to offset all the poking and proding and flex tests today. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's one of those horses who gives kisses. And he presses his lips on my face an just holds them there. I talk to him and move my lips and then he moves his lips. We do this for the longest time. He's one of those horses that only comes along once in a lifetime and he's been with me such a short time... It's just so sad. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow Rio that is so sad.&nbsp; Do enjoy the time you have with him!!!&nbsp; It is obvious you are trying to make his life as comfy as possible for him and i am sure he appreciates it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Next

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition