Finally have to consider surgery for ringbone.... Update sad

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#awww... rio... That is really too bad, at least you are able to prepare yourself for this though rather than it be a sudden issue... I know it must be super hard though. ... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember my old ponies dam was a school horse that I rode waaaay waaaay back and a month after she had my pony they found her dead in the field... It was so heartbreaking, she was my favorit horse and I felt so bad for her baby because obviously he was in the field with her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck though! And just remember the good times you did have with him.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Rio Roulette » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You know, the farrier came out yesterday to reset his front because we've got some corrective shoeing going on and the changes in his foot said this couldn't wait - I'm lucky to have a farrier who not only came out on a Saturday, but on his holiday week off as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, I didn't have the heart to say anything yet to the farrier, he's so excited the front feet are coming along so terrific. Until he went to do the front right, and when he held my horse's foot out from his body and between his legs, the horse started to make motions of lying down, dropped head, tucking his hind under him. So I had to tell the farrier 'we're having issues with that right hind'. He kindly changed how he was holding the foot and was quick about the setting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Even tho he's walking sound (at the moment) albeit slowly, but that difficulty in holding one foot up and supporting his weigh on that leg is really tell tale. Even with 20 ml bute 2x a day.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The farrier left chortling about how my horse would be in a size 3 shoe in another few weeks. I still didn't have the heart to really discuss it, so I just let him leave. My BO asked if I was just going to have the shoes pulled, but I'm not adding stone bruising to this mix. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Give me strength. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby 2dapoint » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh Rio... I'm soo sorry!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I opened this hoping to hear better news (that the vets had consulted and, WOW, fantastic candidate.. whatever)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#(((hugs)))  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#he's so lucky he's got you as his mommy#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The easy decisions are the ones that have a happy ending.  The tough ones make you cry and your heart question as it contracts.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It appears that although your heart is still going to be broken, the decision has been made for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dream_Merchant » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:06 am

<font face='times new roman' size=2 color=#609A9F><i>
Oh Rio -- *hugs you tighly* it's never an easy thing to hear, and I know I always dread the day a decision like that comes my way again, it truly is heart wrenching. It's never easy to think about, but I know when there is a beautiful day outside, I always smile and think of my horses up there (especially Jimmy, whom I lost the end of the last year), and see him galloping around like a maniac up there in the clouds in endless meadows of grass and fresh water -- no doubt Jimmy would be one of the horses right there in the middle pawing and playing and getting muddy! I know thinking like that gives me a little strength, and I know it gave me a LOT of strength when I was coming to terms with loosing him just 2 days before my 21st.

Dam those horses and us getting so attached to them!! They always make it super hard when the time comes to say goodbye. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Rio....</i></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby Chisholm » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow you are having it tough, but congrads on getting all the info and not just jumping into this.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jingles for your horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Awww, I'm so sorry to hear this! I was about to cry for you reading this.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is there no other way to go? What about the acid injections? That's so unfortunate- he's so young! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I hope you are able to do the best you can for him (which you seem to be), but know that if you must put him to sleep, that you did do your best and he loved you!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby AWSgurl » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow Rio I sure do feel for you, your horse is very lucky to have an owner like yourself, it is a very big decision to make but deep in your heart I think you know what the right one is......... in the future one of us may be going through the same thing and you have helped&nbsp;us understanding the problem&nbsp; and what to expect I had no idea that ringbone could be in the back leg, not only have you shared with us but also educated us and I thank you for that, all the best...:)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Coloured Horses for Sport
AWSgurl

Previous

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition