Really Weird - Abcess On The Body?

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Really Weird - Abcess On The Body?

Postby Sodapoppers » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Well our good luck was bound to run out at sometime or another. Since April both of my horses have been perfectly sound and healthy and i've been able to ride as much as i wanted all summer long. That changed pretty quick! On Friday I noticed Dream had a strange lump forming in the girth area - called the vet right away who thought it may be an abcess. Been soaking it and putting medi-cure on it to try to bring it out. It started to open a little yesterday, looking really nasty. Today i soaked it for a long time and it popped open. It is so #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#disgusting#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# - a perfect round opening with lots of gross stuff coming out. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I have NEVER heard of an abcess in the girth area. To make matters worse, one is starting at his shoulder on the same side now as well. Very disurbing. It's going to be a while before i'm back in the tack on him, so Harvey is going to get used a little more than usual for a bit. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Jingles for my poor Dreamy :( I hope it's just an abcess and will go away and that's that! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#are you going to have a vet look at Dream again?  Maybe what is comnig out should be analyzed to make sure it is only an abcess?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby draftdriver » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:05 am

Sometimes bug bites can abcess. Hope things clear up soon.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thing to think about is fly larvae.  I don't know if it's a common thing with horses, but I've seen it in kittens, baby rabbits and cows.  Flies will actually lay there eggs under the skin.  The eggs grow, forming a lump, then when they're ready to come out it "bursts" and oozes, looking like an abcess, but really it's the gross larvae trying to come out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It has a name, but I don't know what it is.  I had a kitten with it, and rescued some baby rabbits that my dog got into once (into their nest, I mean - their mother was long gone).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Sodapoppers » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Ewwwwwwwwww Ewwwwwwwwwww Ewwwwwwwwww RioG....#ed_op#IMG src="http://forum.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/8.gif"#ed_cl#  I think i know what you are talking about, gross gross gross i sure hope not. I am going to get some stuff from the vets to flush it out with today....what did you do about the kitten??#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#YUCK! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#although i've heard of that happening, as rio said.....but it's still gross gross gross!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Patricia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I rescued a thin TB who had been kicked by a stallion.  He had a large swelling the size of 1/2 a football on his hip.  It was an old injury too.  As soon as I got him home I bathed with epsom salts and warm water...it has a drawing effect.  Well the next day this thing exploded and started to drain.  I would syringe epsom salts and warm water into it and sponge it on.  Eventually had two puncture holes for draining.  I would even spray boroform on it when turned out so the bugs would not get in there.  He remained sound the whole time.  It took about 3 months for it to close up.  Mind you we are talking about a huge abscess.  Don't panic so much and call the vet for every little scrap...Gosh I have 6 horses here I would have the vet out every week.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Well considering i've never seen an abcess on the body before, i don't really think i was panicking and calling the vet over a silly little scrape. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Edited to say that the vet is also concerned about it because now there is another one starting too. She's worried about him getting fever and having complications set in so now i am giving him bute and checking hsi temp. 2x a day. I didn't know that could happen so i am glad i called.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Did your vet tell you to bute him?  I was told never to bute for an abscess!!  Is he in pain?  I would think then if there is infection penicillen (sp?) would be better served...but heck I am no vet...Good luck!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All I did was bathe it twice a day...epsom salts is cheap and then boroform spray...Kept it open to drain...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:08 pm

Patricia wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Did your vet tell you to bute him?  I was told never to bute for an abscess!!  Is he in pain?  I would think then if there is infection penicillen (sp?) would be better served...but heck I am no vet...Good luck!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All I did was bathe it twice a day...epsom salts is cheap and then boroform spray...Kept it open to drain...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Yea she said bute him...he is in pain. He's short stepping on that side because of it. Poor little guy :( He's on an anti biotic as well, which he is getting in his food, rather than getting needles. (vet feels this anti biotic is better for soft tissues). The bute is because she's worried about fever she told me. I'm picking up a syringe to flush right in there today..ugh my stomach flips just thinkign about it lol That poor horse you had Patricia...i've never heard of a body abcess before....3 months is a long time...I hope it dosn't take that long for Dream#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby lokukac » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You are brave Soda giving antibiotics orally to your horse. I would never. It kills the  bacterias as well who are needed for digestion of the cellulose.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Postby RioG » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good grief!  The poor girl is listening to her vet!  I agree that she shouldn't panic, but she also hasn't been involved with horses long enough to know the "not panic" situations.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP, I took the kitten to the vets, who told me what it was.  He removed it semi-surgically and the cat healed right up and lived happily ever after.  The rabbits... I sterilized some tweezers and removed them myself (you could shine light in the hole and actually see the little suckers). They healed right up and I let them go when they were old enough.  Vet gave me a supplement to feed them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:35 pm

RioG wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good grief!  The poor girl is listening to her vet!  I agree that she shouldn't panic, but she also hasn't been involved with horses long enough to know the "not panic" situations
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ditto!  I've been involved with horses for years but still consider myself a "newbie" when it comes to anything health-related.  I'd definitely phone my vet over something like this!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Soda, I hope that you get it figured out quickly, especially since another abcess seems to be forming.  Weird!  Maybe it's an allergic reaction or something??  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let us know what the vet says and how it all works out.  Poor Dream #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/11.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby tbbrat » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've owned horses for more than 30 years - and I'd call the vet over that too!  I've never heard of that kind of abscess on a horse (goats, sure), unless there has been an injury, like a puncture or something.  And the fact that there is a second one forming . . . definitely not something to play around with.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck, SP, keep us posted.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I take pleasure in treating them...it doesn't gross me out at all.  I would have made a great nurse!  I kept it open that long to drain.  All the while he was sound.  I was giving him the winter off to fatten up anyways...He was a poor rack of bones...and this huge lump.  By spring time he blossomed.  I sold him to a University student...it was her first horse.  It was love at first site.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well you didn't state he was on antibiotics too....Definitely discuss it further with the vet.  It is obviously more than just an abscess.  We just treated one a month ago no bute and/or antibiotics...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby pmc » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP - How big are these lumps?  A pea? A grape? An orange? A watermelon?  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Thanks Rio and Chenders :D Good to know i'm not going crazy  ;) #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I had to pick up some stuff to flush it out with today from the vet. Lets just say he was not impressed! He was cow kicking and striking out and trying to bite at it. For an old guy he's pretty flexable when he wants to be! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Pmc the biggest one is about the size of two grapes at it's largest. It's a littel smaller now but it's not draining anymore today.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Every heard of a screw fly? Somebody told me that's what it looks like #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl# If that gives you any idea. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby RioG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Screw fly... that could be what the whole under the skin egg thing is.  Not sure though.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't worry SP, you're not going crazy!  I'd call the vet ever 5 seconds as well - if I could afford it.  Unfortunately my animals get a lot of "natural remedies" due to my empty pocket book. ;)  I have to save the vet for the major stuff.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby jax » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Could be a fly, could be he lied down in something, or rubbed against a fence and got some splinters and they abcessed.  With a Screw fly though, they lay their eggs on the hair, and then when they hatch the larva dig into the skin to feed.  Chances are that this isn't it, because you would be grooming him regularly and therefore the eggs would not stick around.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would lean more toward he got something in there that festered.  But hey, they're horses - Lord knows what they get into. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Good news! the flushing and the antibiotic has done it's work! i went out to clean today and it's almost gone :D:D:D&nbsp; it's still a little open but the lump is gone. He was still grumpy when i tried to flush it again today but didn't get as pissy as yesterday (can't blame him, poor guy). So hopefully in a couple days it will be all gone and then i can at least totter around on him bareback again! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Next

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition