Molasses - how much is too much?

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Molasses - how much is too much?

Postby Gemina » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm feeding my horse beet pulp three times/day. He won't eat it without molasses and am worried about giving him too much. I'm using 600g a week. Need advice. Thanks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The way I see it if you feed 1kg sweetfeed (10% molasses) that would be the same amount of molasses you are using now.  This may be ok depending how much work the horse is doing on a daily basis.  Remember rich pasture or alphala contains just as much sugar so I would just use as little as I could. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We usually mix the beetpulp with orther grains such as fat&fiber or sweetfeed. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font size="3"><font color="red">

El Samar Arabians
Brighton Ont.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/andy.hope
Andy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Chisholm » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are you feeding the Beet Plup with another grain?&nbsp;&nbsp; Does this horse really need Beet Pulp, how about just feeding a straight Fat and Fibre feed.&nbsp; I only knew of one other horse that wouldn't eat BP, but he didn't need it.&nbsp; Feeding molasses defeats the purpose of feeding BP.&nbsp; You are feeding your horse pure sugar with the molasses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#any amount of molasses is too much. It is pure sugar, on top of hyping your horse up and burning off any extra fat the beet piuulp is giving you, you will rot your horses teeth out. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If he is having trouble with the beet pulp I would try getting a product called "flax appeal", it is high in oils ect and shouldnt counter-act the beet pulp. It is used for horses who have trouble eating plainer grains like fat and fiber ect#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am not big on feeding sugar...or beet pulp for that matter.&nbsp; If he is on a good grain like hi fat hi fibre/Purina....JUST feed more of it!&nbsp; Especially if it is for weight gain.&nbsp; I consulted a nutritionist and he said it is not necessary to a scoop of this or a little of that...just increase what he already gets till you see results and cut back.&nbsp; So far it is working for me!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Gemina » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Because my horse is old I don't want to give him any hi test feed. My vet and Jakesterd told me to use beet pulp. He is semi retired and only gets sweet feed once a day. Perhaps I could save some of that and add it to the beet pulp....this might work. He has always been nice and round but this spring his age caught up with him. I can see his ribs&nbsp;and back bone. Very disturbing. Thanks all for your suggestions. It certainly sounds like I shouldn't feed him molasses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I am certainly no expert on horse feeds but from what I've been told, and what I've read, sweetfeed IS a "high-test" feed.&nbsp; It's basically sugar.&nbsp; Hi Fat/Hi Fibre is a much better feed.&nbsp; Puts the weight on without making (most) horses hot.&nbsp; I know a lot of barns that won't have sweetfeed in their barns at all, and will ONLY feed HFHF.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I were you, I'd take your horse off the sweetfeed and beet-pulp and feed&nbsp;*only* HFHF.&nbsp; If your horse doesn't do well on that, then add in beet-pulp.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if your horse is THAT old, you may find they he migh tnot ever be "fat"... Most tbs that are older and not worked have a ribby look to them... And if he has just recently starting to not do as much work oor none he may have dropped the weight because of that too... Old horses who stop work and loose the muscle they used to have usually never or have trouble getting the weight or roundness back#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Beet-pulp can certainly help but not by itself... &nbsp;you should be looking at senior horse feeds and high-fat high-fiber feeds I think. You can also find supplments for older horses who find weight difficult. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I cant feed my mare sweetfeed... she goes nuts on it... and shes already nuts to begin with... haha#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena's suggestion of Flax Appeal is a&nbsp;great one! Flax appeal is even *better* than HF/HF as it is 25% fat whereas HF/HF is only 8%... I've seen it work and it's great stuff!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here is a link to the info... and it will NOT make your horse hot :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://brooksfeeds.com/product03a.html"#ed_cl#http://brooksfeeds.com/product03a.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition