Poor guy with a swollen.... *you know*

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Poor guy with a swollen.... *you know*

Postby Dream_Merchant » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:58 am

<font face='times new roman' size=2 color=#609A9F><i>A few days ago I picked up a stallion (not the TB one I've been thinking about getting), but another bloke who I seen skin and bone in a paddock been neglected -- I threatened the people that I could call the RSPCA and they pretty much just said take him and left me too it. Anyway, he is home, and I've had him locked in a stable for a few days just so he settled in and started to feed him up, introducing him to feed slowly again. Anyhow, I put him in a small paddock yesterday and again today, and I've noticed he's had his penis (sorry, no other way to say it) stuck out and the end of it is quite swollen and puffy -- I'm sure it's only been like that a day or two at the most (I put a rug on him to keep him warm because he's got a sh*tty coat and with no fat or anything on him he would freeze at night and the day)... and I lifted up the rug to see if he was still as tucked up in the flank as he was two days ago, and noticed it then.

He can't put it back in because it's swollen -- I gave him some bute yesterday and it doesn't seemed to have helped it at all. I really don't want to get the vet out to him, not because of money issues, but just the fact that he looks like a skeleton he would most likely say, "just shoot him". I don't know if he has picked up an infection or what's going on... any suggestions?</i></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby draftdriver » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:09 am

Can he be handled easily enough that you can clean his sheath?
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would aythe same thig as DD maybe try giving his sheath a good cleaning if it is possible.&nbsp; I would assume the stallion was never cleaned in that area with the previous owners, since they did not care enough about feeding him properly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:45 am

Hi, if it's the tip that's swollen you will need to clean it and get the 'bean' - this can build up badly enough to block urine passage and cause bad swelling in the actual penis.
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Gemina » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Poor guy! As everyone says I would try to clean his sheath AND I would definitely have him looked at by a vet. No Vet would put you down for rescuing a horse. Incidentlly, I find your posts interesting but hard to read...guess I'm getting old.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:11 am

Gemina wrote:<DIV>Poor guy! As everyone says I would try to clean his sheath AND I would definitely have him looked at by a vet. No Vet would put you down for rescuing a horse. Incidentlly, I find your posts interesting but hard to read...guess I'm getting old.</DIV>

Nope, me too...the small italic writing is hard on the eyes! 8)
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Gemina » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you for that, SP.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dream_Merchant » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:55 pm

<font face='garamond' size=3 color=#006699>
Eeek -- sorry about the writing guys, I hope this is better???

I've been washing his penis and shealth down with warm salty water -- I'm a bit too nervous to start washing it with betadine or something like that incase it cause a reaction or burns the skin or something? It seems to go down a bit when he's out in the paddock, and seems to swell up a bit when he's locked in overnight. It's not the very tip that's swollen, but a section just above it. He doesn't mind it been handled, mind you, he's too busy gorging himself on feed to worry what I'm doing to him. He has brightened up a lot, he actually pranced and called out to a mare as I lead him out today -- so yer, that's always a good sign. Just still concerned about his willy :(

If nothing improves within the next day, I'll have to get the vet to him -- the RSPCA are coming out today to inspect and issue the past owner with a written warning, and give me some paperwork to say that I offical own him now and blah blah -- it's a shame the RSPCA couldn't do anything earlier, but they have soooo much red tape to get through!

I have no idea what could have caused it though, it happened in the second/third day he arrived here -- *shrugs*</i></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

Dream_Merchant

Postby Gemina » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, you are right, the animal protection societies do not have much clout. However, the government is getting somewhat closer to changing the animal legislation. They got a lot of flack from farmers, racetracks, etc. So the new rules had to be somewhat changed and it MAY pass in Parliament soon. Not soon enough that's for sure.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How old is your stalion? I'll bet lots of us would love to hear the whole story about him and your rescue. How old is he, etc. etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dream_Merchant » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:15 am

<font size=2 color=#006699><b><i>
Well I haven't found out every detail of him, but here goes -- oh by the way, his willy has shrunk down quite a lot, it's just the tinest bit puffy now and only sticks out a little bit -- so obviously whatever was causing the discomfort, I've removed. I'll keep washing it for a few days just to make sure.

Well I went past a property down the road from us and see this disgusting looking horse there, my first thought was, oh ok, someone's picked up an old hag of a thing etc etc and going to give a good home. He was slim, but still very healthy in his coat and everything -- anyway a few months later, I was taking my stallion down to a breeding station to be tested for having his semen frozen (he has to be down there for a week, maybe two), and on the way home I saw that horse again (he had disappeared from the paddock for awhile) -- this time I almost run off the dam road looking at him, no kidding! I pulled in and saw the young girl there, and spoke to her about him. Anyway, she said she had had him for quite some time, blah blah, didn't really know anything about horses or owning a stallion or anything. Anyway, I said that he looked bloody disgusting (with a little bit more... umph, as you would say)... she was a bit shocked at my choice of ways, but very quickly got the idea that I was disgusted at his state. Anyway, we had a bit of an arguement, she broke down in tears over it (I had no idea why at the time), and she said that I should take him, no questions asked.

Anyway, I threw him on the float, and took him home. He bashed around quite a bit -- I honestly thought he was going to go down with colic because of travelling in such horrid condition, and die on the float or something horrible. Anyway, he got home, and literally staggered off the float like an old drunk -- just a 20 minute drive in the float nackered him physically! Put him in a stable (my stallions outside stable), and threw him a heap of hay, and stood with him to make sure he didn't just gulp down the barrel of water in there (which he tried to) -- I went inside, made a few calls, including one to the RSPCA, I explained the situation to them, and they said to cover my arse, they would come out in a few days and inspect him and issue the past owner with a written warning, and give me some paperwork that she would sign to say he was offically mine and she couldn't come back for him or place any legal matters on my doorstep -- which is very reassuring. So I went back out, jabbed a heap of vitamns into him into what muscle I could find on the poor bugger (I could honestly only get the needle half way into his chest before I swear it hit bone) and left him to his hay. He really wasn't too interested in it, and I thought the poor guy would die over night -- I put a rug on him as well to keep him warm, try and make him cozy at least.

Anyway, next morning, he had brightened up a little and there was not a slither of hay left in the stable -- but no manure. That was my biggest worry, that he would go down with colic, or that his stomach and bowel hadn't had any food through them for so long they would stop working. So he got another jab of vitamns, and put on a drip of fluids (dropped off at my place from Murdoch University by a friend of mine who works there who lives up the road from me) and another heap of hay and a bucket of rough cut chaff with the tinest pinch of lucerne in it.

Anyway, another day passed, and I had emptied two 2L bags of fluid into him and he looked a lot brighter (in his eyes), so I thought he could now manage a drench through his system -- he had started to pass manure too, which looked more like black rocks than horse manure, but something was happening at least. And it was the next day that I noticed his willy had swollen up when I put him out in a small paddock to give him some air -- but that's all good now.

Well he's eating well, his manure is that nice yellow/green color that it should be and he is urintating like a train (bugger leaves what looks like the remains of a flood in his stable each night!). He has lost that "hollow" look around his flanks, but it's still a long way to go for him.

When the RSPCA came out they told me that he had been left to the girl because his previous owner had died in a car crash, and this girl was her only living family -- she of course, knew nothing about horses, let alone a dam stallion! She got on ok with him at first, but naturally him been a stallion, she soon became frightened on him and wouldn't go near him to feed him or water him -- the poor sod!! Anyway, I had noticed a Hanoverian brand on his hindquarter and rung up a heap of people trying to find out who he was -- obviously, noone knew off the top of their heads, there are so many warmblood stallions around these days. Anyway, the RSPCA gave me all the paperwork I needed, and what do I see on the top, his dam name!! I've got a 4 year old horse by this bloke that is an absolute ripper jumper!!!

Anyway, I do some research -- called the past owner of the 4 year old I brought and found out who owned him, blah blah, and turns out this guy is related to my stallion through a great grandfather or something -- he has some really nice older lines including Mozart, Senny, a relation to Stakkato through his sire and his dam has Lord and Cor De La Byere in him!! I is also around 17 years old -- which I gathered by his teeth. Bit of a bugger that he is old, but hey, I've still got a few mares that would be a super nice cross with him, put some new blood into the place. So yer, what a find!! I never expected him to be anything special like that, just some poor busted up old stallion, not a dam hanoverian!!

But I'll keep you updated on him through his time -- he's feeling much better though in himself, managed to pull down half my electric fence for me (which of course, I had to later drag him through the gate because he thought it was going to jump up and attack him, that took some doing!). He's a real character, and really starting to jive up in himself and show that he is actually a bull -- of course, he runs up the fence in a spectular prance, and then just stands there because he is buggered. I think I will end up having to lunge him and put some work into him to build up his back muscles -- he's got absolutely NO muscle at all on him, and he is a heavily boned horse, which makes him look worse.

So yer -- sorry it's long!! But that's Skully's (ie. Skeleton) story so far. He's over the worst of it I would think, so yer, he's out of rough sailing so far.</b></i></font>

Dream_Merchant

Postby Eileen » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:24 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Whoa!....what a life that poor guy led....lucky for him that someone noticed him out there in the field and took note of his condition each sighting....and you were concerned enough to go into the farm and inquire about him.&nbsp; Things happen for a reason....you find out that you rescued a "royal"&nbsp; that is great...I would call it payback for your kindness...keep up the good work.#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Gemina » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Very interesting, DM. He must be so happy to be with you and you will be happy to be able to use him for your breeding farm. Good luck.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow that is quite the story!!!&nbsp; Why would this girl not try and sell him when she realized she could not car for him.. gees some people!!!&nbsp; It is great for you though now that you have an amazing stallion with great lines!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Piaffing » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow that is some story and some find. Hope it all works out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dream_Merchant » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:12 am

<font color=#006699><b><i>
Thanks guys -- I know he'll be even happier when I present him with a mare that's 'hot to trot' hahaha. He's certainly feeling well, starting to actually trying to assert a little authority around me now, so yer, see what happens with him.
</i></b></font>

Dream_Merchant

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Geesh! What a lucky rescue.. wish i could have gotten a warmblood hehe. I dunno about anyone else but i want to see pics! Eventhought he is skinny i wanna see lol. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Geesh! What a lucky rescue.. wish i could have gotten a warmblood hehe. I dunno about anyone else but i want to see pics! Eventhought he is skinny i wanna see lol. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition