At my wits end!!

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Postby lokukac » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:33 pm

Dream_Merchant wrote:<font color=#006699><b><i>#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#lol -- guess it comes from been a perfectionist and wanting to make the most out of each training session with my horses!! Mind you, I have done the whole *grab a bucket and sit on it with coffee in one hand, cigarette in another and somehow managing to lunge a horse without getting tangled up* hahaha#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#</i></b></font>
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dream, if I manage to get to Australia, you have to show me this "longeing on a bucket" attraction.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley10.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In return I will draw you the longest line in your sand dragged by a horse.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//rambo.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone else wants to show?#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley8.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dream_Merchant » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:02 pm

<font color=#006699><b><i>
lmao -- YES! We can call it the travelling lunging freakshow -- what not to do when lunging your horse!! hahahahaha!!!
</i></b></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby graciespook » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm terrible I just stand in one spot and let him go around me...that is, when he gets behind me, my arm raises above my head and the lunge line goes around..so I don't have to move. Oh the horrors...if only the pony club could see me now!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Dream_Merchant » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:28 pm

<font color=#006699><b><i>
lol -- yes, good old Pony Club haha, plus I'm doing my Instructors course, so when I go there and have to lunge, far out, I've really gotta wind my mind into gear and think about what I'm doing!!
</i></b></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby babytigger » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#DM - i recently started up riding again (last year, thanks to spotz). i have a great juper mare to ride of spotz, and appy/TB who is very very strong &amp; athletic &amp; she craves jumping like i need my tea everyday.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i've had a few lessons on her as well, and my coach has been helpful, as has spotz who knows all her horses like they were her children!!) - think VALIUM. this is what spotz told me....don't even think jump, becasue they know.....now, mind you, i'm not jumping huge fences with her, so i can also just trot up to them....given half the chance, patty will start to race around like a nut to do a course - she just loves to jump. best thing i can do with her over the little schooling fences i've done is to just keep doing posting trot right over the fence.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#she's tried to start cantering but becasue i'm posting, she drops right back down to trotting &amp; we usually get a nice smooth jump, with no zooming away on landing. i don't even take 2 point when she gets racey, i just keep posting right over the fence.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i'm sure you are doing a much higher calibre than i've ever done (evident from your photos!!), but perhaps toning down the jump size to something he can just trot over wil get him thinking about going slower &amp; it's not a big deal etc. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#also i think the gymnastics will help, but also smaller jumps or trotting poles would be better, as some horse get a bit hyper with gymnastics because it's a lot of jumps very quickly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby ArabJumper » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:57 pm

Hello, I found you!!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My advice is simple. Time. Grin and bear it. Sounds like a classic
power struggle. You can battle it out or give him time to give into
you. I know you know your stuff so I will spare you from "does the bit
fit" "did the vet check him out" etc, ect#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I had a TB who bucked. I rode him everyday for hours. I only put him
away when he was done bucking. I ended up with a fit horse. But what
happened I think was I bored him into submission. It is fun for a horse
to battle. Sometimes they are like chicldren ot teens.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Give him time and consistent quality work, reward him when he does good
and ignore the bad. My guess is that he will end up a great horse after
he works through his issues.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Good luck!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Marty_Jones » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now I havent read the other posts cuz im not really in a reading mood but looking from the picture I can see that your very tense. All I ride is OTTB's and they are a handful when your tense. Another thing is that you are ahead of your horse which will speed them up a lot along with pinch with your knees. I found that out the hard way, we never had time penelties tho haha Also its hard to tell but are you wearing spurs???? cuz thats a no no. What you need to do is 9ft poles(bounces etc)&nbsp;in front and behind jumps to teach him to collect. you need to sit and wait for him to put you into your 2 point. Also put you leg on and push him into the bit(but dont pull his face). and&nbsp;try 1/2 halts all the way around until about 3 strides before the fence then let his face be and keep your leg on. 1/2 halt after the fence and continue. Now another question How much time have you put into his basic flat training?? Is he balanced enought to jump or even canter?? My last guy didnt canter for a good 6 moths because he wasnt balanced and supple. If he is then he really should be less likely to take off. Also take him exploring in the bush let the branches hit him the more you do that the less spooky he will be and the less likely of running away as well. Now does the saddle and bit fit? How are his teeth?? Um I think thats all Ill write for now. He looks like a nice powerful horse and if you can master his power thenyou'll both go far. Good luck and be patient Tb's always want to please but they get flustered just as easily as you and me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Previous

Return to Hunter/Jumper