Wormers What Do U Use

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Wormers What Do U Use

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey all, just wondering out of curioisity (sp) what wormers does everyone use? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've use Ivermectin liquid for about 5 years now, and love it, I would still be useing it if I still had a worming gun (Stolen from my tack trunk) so now Iam left useing the paste, which Iam not lookign forward to .#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also does anyone know of a fast and easy way to remove bot eggs??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In all my years I've never had a problem with them as I do this year, usually just a very very small amount, but this year my horse is covered in very large patches of eggs, just cant keep up with them, as I finish one side with the bot knife, I turn around and the other side is covered again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is there some kind of product that I can use that will discourage the bot flies, or make it easier to remove the eggs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also my horse is on a regular worming routine, but with the amount of bot eggs on him should I use a different wormer then Ivermecton????#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All thoughts on this are more then welcome, also please feel free to PM me if you like.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow 7 views and no answer.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What is it, no one wants to share or just doesnt want to share with me????#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tink#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Trufflemaker » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry I don't know what wormer is used at my barn. I just write a cheque when it's done! However about the bot eggs, I have not found any at all this year on my horse. Last year there were tons of them. Is it a good year, or am I not looking hard enough?!! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby Leena » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I use Egvalan, Panacur and Strongid on alternance, every 6 weeks. I am going to try Quest when the foals will be old enough.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most of the time I give liquid wormer: I find there is less waste.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:27 am

We were using Ivermectin rotated with....strongid or quest or panomec??? I'm not to sure, will ask and share.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Yes, we have a problem with bot eggs too. I've tried using a razor but
it isn't working very well. I've heard those dish scrub pads, the green
ones, work. Gonna try those and see.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, HUGE pet peeve of mine!!  It's #ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"#ed_cl#DEWORMING#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#,  not worming!  You are ridding your horse of worms, not giving him worms, hence the D-E in front or the word worming!  Ok now that I have that off my chest....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I rotate between EQVALAN, and QUEST.  As these are the ones that are easiest to administer, and the most effective IMO.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not a fan of the liquid dewormers, not sure why, just don't like them.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I steer clear of panomec, as I've seen some bad reactions to it, I also am not a fan of stongid, it's a very thick paste, and I find that the horses spit half of it out due to the horrid smell/taste.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for bots, we generally don't have a problem w/them, but I feel that may be due to our pasture management, and the right rotation of deworming for us. I haven't seen bots eggs on our horses for at least 5 years.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But to rid of them, I find that the bot knives that you buy in tack stores, work the best.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Leena » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Taco correcting my english writing.....Sometimes it is hard for me since I am french.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Gemina » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# Eqvalan and Quest also and have a special curved knife for bot eggs. I would think most dewormers would be effective for bots????#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LEENA, no problem, you at least have an excuse!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#U#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#ALOT#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/U#ed_cl# of people use the term worming, and it drives me nuts,#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/3.gif"#ed_cl# I want to do that everytime I hear the word "worming" or wormer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, I'll excuse you, but for the others!  SHAPE UP!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#* edited to add...No not all Dewormers are effective for bots, so read your labels on your dewormers carefully to ensure your getting the proper coverage you need.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:23 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#...your and your wormer and dewormer...I am the same with thaw and unthaw....if you unthaw something it is frozen...eeeesh it makes me crazy...lol#ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#BLOCKQUOTE id=170157cd#ed_cl##ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#.. #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#/BLOCKQUOTE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for all  the imput, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff4040#ed_cl#Taco2,#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# Iam not quite sure how to take your responce about you dont have bots due to your pasture management. Is this supossed to mean that if my fields are unkepted, that this is Y I have bots. And second, as for the worming/deworming thing it was just a simple typo, Feel free to PM me about this.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bot knives are great if you just a afew to take off, but they tend to go dull if you have to do the whold body, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff4040#ed_cl#Goldendryad, #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I tried the pot scrubers the other day, they do work kind of good, but I ended up buying a grooming block, it seems to work better on the softer parts of the body, so I've been useing the pot scrubers on the legs, nneck and rump. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff4040#ed_cl#Lenna,#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=name#ed_cl#I find with useing the liquid there is less mess, and its faster, I've always used a deworming gun in the past but it was stolen from me, But I did bit the bullet and buy a new gun, and will continue to keep my horse on the reg schedual.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=name#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=name#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I posted this question I thought that it would make a good discussion, and that maybe others could learn from it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# Thanks again to everyone,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tink#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Leena » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, it was a good one indeed and thanks to Taco for correcting the spelling. Sometimes, we all do mistakes and that's OK.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#About deworming, unless there is new product, I think it is important to do it on regular basis. In my situation, with a little bit more horses, hot summer where manure had to be taken out regularely, the foals, and bla bla bla.....I put more attention on this. So I did deworme every 5 weeks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now I know I am not alone to like the liquid dewormer...They're cheaper too !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby taco2 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tinkerbell...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Easy!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/4.gif"#ed_cl#  I was only joking about the shape up part!  It's just a pet peeve of mine when people mis use the word "worming", as it is not correct english, just like eileen doesn't like the word "unthaw", as it's not correct.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I meant no harm, just voicing my dislike for the word.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I did not mean that "your" pastures were unkept...I wouldn't know, as I have never seen them.  But what I am saying is that if you do not rotate your horses through out pastures effeciently, or have proper manure patrol, such as harrowing manure piles throughout the pasture, too many horses on too samll a space etc etc, then yes the risk of bots and other worm infestations can occur.  Meant no offence, just tyring to help w/the little knowledge I may have.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is a good post to learn from you're totally right.  And that is why I suggested ensuring that you do have proper pasture management, as this may or may not be the reason for the bots. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:51 pm

Nice to see you again taco2...haven't seen you on here for a while!
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Alright Taco2, thanks for clearfiying your post.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks to all that responded to my post,.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Tinkerbell.27#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby taco2 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:25 am

goldendryad wrote:Nice to see you again taco2...haven't seen you on here for a while!
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Golden!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/20.gif"#ed_cl#  Summer is a #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#U#ed_cl#VERY#ed_op#/U#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# busy time of year for me, so I tend to fall off the face of the earth for a short time.  But, I have managed to climb my way back on!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I pretty much just use Panomec. Now I noticed Taco mentioned having seen bad reactions to it and am now curious as to if I should maybe stop using it and go back to Eqvalan. What are the differences between the two besides price? I like to use ivermectin because of the pregnant mares and foals, and usually use the liquid caramel flavored Strongid once a year. I don't use any DEwormer with phosphates or Quest.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Draygonfyne » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:49 pm

taco2 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LEENA, no problem, you at least have an excuse!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#U#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#ALOT#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/U#ed_cl# of people use the term worming,#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Taco2.....I had to laugh...you hit my pet peeve for spelling in this post after critiquing someone else's english....  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is A LOT (two words), not ALOT (one word).  #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for worming...my routine is essentially the same as Ruth's. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Draygonfyne
Newbies
Newbies

Postby taco2 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ha, I was wondering if someone would pick up on that!?!  Too funny!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Arcadia » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#*snort*  I was thinking the same thing Dragonfyne#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I rotate with Panomec, Strongid, Quest#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition