Oil in Feed

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Oil in Feed

Postby Keetee » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:26 pm

As I recall, the literature says that adding oil does not add energy
but is a good source of fat.  Does anyone know if this is
correct?  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My gelding tended to be skinny the first few years we had him but then
we started adding oil to his feed about 7 years ago and he's been
closer to rolly polly ever since - however, we also changed stables at
that point so I'm not sure if the different feeding schedule and type
of feed also made a difference.  My gelding's energy level never
seemed adversely affected by the oil but then again he's more on the
sleepy side anyway so it might not have been that obvious!  Thanks!
Keetee
Groupie
Groupie

Postby goldendryad » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:46 pm

As far as I know it adds fat and maybe some polish to the coat. At my
barn they feed it to the poor keepers and it seems to really help,
especially in the winter.
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've got a thin TB what type of oil?? Vegatable, canola, peanut??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Happy Appy's » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Canola oil is what I use. I only give 1/4 cup with the feed once a day. It also helps stick the powdered supplements to the feed if yours is in the habit of knocking over the feed bucket.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby graciespook » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I feed straight corn oil. 1 cup a day. I have a gelding who is a hard to keep TB. If he's fed well and consistently, he stays healthy. When not fed the required amount, you'll see a slide in his weight. I also feed two other supplements--1 cup of Ground Flax seed daily and Leaps and Bounds for the old feet. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since feeding the oil and flax he seems to be brighter and his coat and feet are great. He has a happy fat layer as we like to call it, and has no problems keeping the weight on. The bonus with flax? I spend about 10-15 dollars a month for a cup each day. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Chisholm » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keetee I did a little experiement of my own this past winter and spring.   I had always used corn oil.  But hadn't used any for a while so I decided to start off using vegetable oil for about 3 months, saw no real improvement in the coat.  I'm sure it was helping inside.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Then I switched to corn oil, big difference in all the horses coats.  And it high fat content that is more digestable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I give a good swig in both am and pm feeds.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Keetee » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:05 pm

Thanks!  We give Robbie, my gelding, corn oil, I just couldn't
remember whether he got any hotter with it - he's not the type that
gets hot and he's been on the oil for about 7 years so it's hard to
remember.  My mare on the other hand tends to be very hot,
especially in the winter when it gets cold, so I do not want to add any
energy - just fat so that maybe she'll have a little more insulation!
Keetee
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Jakesterd » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oil is primarily an energy source. Vegetable oil (corn, canola etc) has about 8000 calories per kilogram.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Feeding oil WILL NOT MAKE A HORSE HYPER!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oil is metabolized as free fatty acids. There is no source of sugar such as starch. Its starch carbohydrate thats converted to sugar that gives the high blood glucose levels that make some horses dingbat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is no physioligical difference as far as the horse is concerned between canola, corn, sunflower or any other vegetable oil. There may be a difference in the fatty acid composition but the horse doesnt know that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#you can feed up to several cups a day to horses that have been slowly adjusted to the diet. Oil is a more effective energy source for sports requiring a longer duration of exercise like cross country, endurance or standardbred racing. Horses like barrell racers and sprint runners never get to the metabolic stage of using fat for energy under normal conditions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jake#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jakesterd
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Megan Ball » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Jake!! That's the perfect amount of info that I wanted for my boy! I'm gonna start putting some corn oil in his feed soon! Silly boy thinks he's on a diet! Except he's on a green pasture, has hay twice a day(and leaves some to go bad).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition