Need help / advise pony getting worse!

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Need help / advise pony getting worse!

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi, I have talked about my horses problem to maddys_girl but my internet cut out so i couldn't continue but i really need help/ advise on what to do with my horse#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First off some back round info. My horse is a 8yo Tb gelding.Have had him for just over 4 months. Has been wormed when i switched barns. . I have noticed a lump/bump on his neck and everyone says its a bug bite but I'm kind of worried that it may be a tumor but i may be exagerating.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay well, a week or so ago I noticed he was losing weight, and hes a TB so its not uncommon for him to lose a few pound but he quickly re-gains it. Last week he was about 50 lbs underweight! With not a whole lot of work going into him. We upped his feed but a lot gave him some supplements ( electrolites, ginger exc. ) to help him re-gain the weight and keep it. Well last night I went out to see him and hes not good. You can now see his ribs and spine all the way up!! Its horrible i hate to see him like this! And hes always been laid back kind of lazy. This hasn't changed. Nothing has except his weight. I'm really worried about the monster. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We will worm him again tonight and call the vet if things don't change. I guess this may have been a little rant but any advise on what to do and what could be wrong?!? Thanks!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Leena » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Before feeling guilty, I would call the vet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck and many jingles to you and your horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby pmc » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't wait any longer.  That dramatic a change in body mass despite your efforts requires a vet out asap.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:25 pm

I agree with the others. Please get the vet out as soon as possible.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I went out to see my horse today, yep getting worse, the vet will be comming out on Wed. hopfully! Now do any of you know about some of his new issues im consurned ( sorry about spelling!)  with. Runny nose, it wasn't yesterday and its not green and goopy and gross but its kind of runny, and hes sweating buckets?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Leena » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pretty Pony,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am far and not a vet. This week end, one of my colts got a bad kick in the jaw and he had a swollen face. The first thing I did after having a panic attack was taking his temp. Then I called the vet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can you take his temp ? I don't know what he has but I feel this is serious so I am sorry there is nothing I can do for you otherwise than giving you cyber Big Hugs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jingles !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Take his temp, breathing rate and write down a schedule of what happened for the vet. Any changes in, well, anything, and make sure its down on paper. Its a wonderful tool for a vet to have because they get a concrete picture of whats happening. Sometimes when the vet comes out and we're upset, we ramble or don't speak coherently. This way it will make sense. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It sounds like some sort of virus to me. A rapid weight loss is something to be concerned about. You mentioned you dewormed him. He's not potty is he? Such as skinny everywhere but his belly? Whats he eating? What vaccinations have been done, etc etc? Is he eating normally? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck with the vet tomorrow, and I hope things are not that serious! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by graciespook on Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby zooka » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree write down everything you can forthe vet and take his temperature.  It is not possible to givethe vet too much info.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#geesh - why would you have waited so long before getting the vet out? i'd be phoning them freakin out & asking them to get over there asap.....if i was that concerned, i wouldn't have waited so long for them....i mena i know they have other appointments, but if he's gone down that quickly, i'd be too worried to wait the extra couple of day, as it could make a huge difference in his treatment & condition.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#jingles for your boy - hope everything turns out OK for him#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Chisholm » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would have in a mysterious case like this been cautious and called the vet when the bump first appeared.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keep us informed as to what the vet says.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jingles for your horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's not possible that he has strangles, is it? You didn't say where on the neck the lump is, but if it is strangles the lymph glands swell and there is often discharge from the nose. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.cyberhorse.net.au/csl/strangles.htm"#ed_cl#http://www.cyberhorse.net.au/csl/strangles.htm#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.alphahorse.com/horse-strangles.html"#ed_cl#http://www.alphahorse.com/horse-strangles.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I sure hope it's something else though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#***Jingles*** #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby taco2 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ditto as the others...get your vet out ASAP!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#From you first discription, I'd almost say pneumonia, but, call your vet out ASAP.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# take his temp/heart rate/respiration rate.  Write down when/how much he has been eating and drinking (if any), also take into account what the runny nose looks like, clear, green, yellow whatever. When the lump appeared, any changes in the lump.  Write ALL this info down and give it to your vet, as they will want to know that info. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It could really be anything, at this point.  The key is to get your vet out NOW, and get their proffessional opinion ASAP!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's easy for horses to lose weight, but a real b*tch to get it back on!!! Plus if a horse catches a deadly virus, they can be gone in a matter of days!  Sorry, don't mean to scare you, but these are the times when we need to act quickly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Any updates on your pony? #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, no news on GT they took blood from him on Thursday no news back yet. So hopfully its good that they havn't called about the news! Since tomorrow is Sunday i know i won't get a call so hopfully Monday i can update everyone about him#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby AQHAgirl » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ummm first thing you should have done was have the vet out.  Good that you finally did. did they put him on any antibiotics or anything while you sit and wait for blood test results, which I'm sure you won't get till Monday or Tuesday.  As that's the way it is with most vet clinics if they're really busy ones.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Helen Thomson ~ In riding a horse we borrow freedom

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
AQHAgirl

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:02 pm

Well good luck. Here's hoping it's nothing too serious for you...
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#any results yet?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Update:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    Sorry for taking so long i've been kinda distracted latly..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    Results came back clean so i guess where he was maybe he wasn't getting as much food as he needed. So thats good news, bad news is i liked that barn but i don't want to keep him somewhere where he won't be fed or fed as much as he needs. Hes gained all the weight back and has been back to himself.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition