Saddles

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Postby HappilyEverAfter » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm all for the "try a bunch and go with whichever one fits you and your horse best".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally I just have a cheap cavalier AP...its not a great quality saddle, its started to rub a bit. But its UBER comfortable and really nice for the amount of money I paid for it (which is not much at all compared to Bates or Courbettes, Childeric etc)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My friend just bought an HdR like, 2 months ago and it has already begun to rub. It didnt last as long as mine which was less than half the price of the HdR.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm a huge fan of Lovatt and Ricketts- those saddles are incredible. I'm also a HUGE fan of Bates Caprilli. Although I've only ridden in a dressage so I cant judge fairly. That said, the Bates Caprilli dressage was the MOST comfortable saddle I have ever ridden in. It was not overly deep seated but it kept me securely in the saddle with a nice position.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#On the other hand, I have found wintecs to be really really awful. Not only do they look yucky once they're out of the packaging (because they get dirty and you cant wash the fabric properly) but they put you in an awful position!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My best advice would be to go to a store like Apple Saddlery and get a name brand saddle (like Stubben, Courbette, Childeric) used in good condition. You wont pay as much, and the saddle might not be in pristine condition, but you will probably find a good quality, good fitting saddle that will serve your purposes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In any case, dont settle for a half decent saddle if you're going to spend a fair chunk of money. Get the right one the first time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HappilyEverAfter
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like stubbens, just a suggestion #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl# and I have a wintec gullet change saddle with air pannels and I like it alot! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby JessnMarsh » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to ride in a C/C Passier, we called it the "shiny saddle" because the leather was shiny, it was really beautiful, and the most comfy saddle I've ever jumped in.  I remember I wanted one, but the B/O told me it cost $2500 (and this was back in the "olden days" haahaa).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Check out any Passier saddles you come across, they are pretty good imo.  You might find a nice used one for a good price.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jessica#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Somewhere...somewhere in time's own space
There must be some sweet pastured place
Where creeks sing on and tall trees grow
Some Paradise where horses go,
For by the love that guides my pen
I know great horses live again...
-Stanley Harrison
JessnMarsh
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Passier are really nice as well!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby DivaMare » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I own an HDR Rivella and I love it, its very European in design and the leather is extremley soft and "cuishy" on the seat for me and the panels for my filly. However Im not a huge fan of other HDR's just the Rivella.  It cost me about 1250 and was well worth it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
DivaMare
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Cheryl » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trick- Passier Precision (jumping saddle)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marty- Schlese JES (jumping with a bit of all-purpose tendecy as well)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kids saddle for both- Crosby Tad Coffin (I think)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby TequillaJack » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have two saddles I love to bits #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#first is my Bentley Superme most people have never heard of them they are kinda rare but honestly the most comfy saddle ever I perfer it over the Childric#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my second and show saddle is a Bates its pretty good but so not my fav and I have never had a problem with it, and I'm 5'11'' and 135lbs#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Dream_Merchant » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#0080ff size=2#ed_cl#I tried a French saddle over the weekend, can't remember the name of it now, I'll try and find it for you -- anyone tried a French one before?? I tell you, it puts you in such a nice position, and your lower leg really sits well on the horse in it. I've never been a believer that a saddle would make so much difference, but WOW!!!#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Only problem is the price tag.... $4,000!!!! *faints*#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#DM- What is a Childeric? Those are a PRETTY penny, and french I believe. HDR's are also French aren't they? (Well, the name is French).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Phil » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try as many saddles as u can possibly sit in,&nbsp; look for something with a fair sized tree so as not to pinch your horse.&nbsp; If the saddle will be going from horse to horse take that into consideration for fitting.&nbsp; Really get whats comfortable and secure for you.&nbsp; Tell them at the tack shops what your price range is and try everything within that ballpark, avoid the really expensive saddles cause u will want one.&nbsp; Good luck#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Phil
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Embiem3 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HDR's are no longer Frence saddles, but rather made in Argentina(sp?) so stay away if you can from them or anything else thats made there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Childerics are made in France and in my oppion are amazeing saddles and worth every penny I paied for mine. It puts you in the perfect position and mine has fit atleast 12 different horses. I bought a second saddle yesterday to use for schooling in because I cant bare to watch my Childeric get wear marks on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;I say as long as you stick with a European saddles (other then Argentinian saddles) you cant go wrong. Older HDR's are fine, aswell as the older Pessoas as then they were still made in Europe.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby HappilyEverAfter » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Couldnt agree more with above.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In terms of a cheaper saddle, say, under $1500- what do you guys find to be the best? My friend bought an HDR recently but its already rubbed (its like, 2 months old)...she bought it because she thought they were nice. Turns out the one she had ridden in was older so it was French and not Argentinian.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway- what is a good cheaper brand?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HappilyEverAfter
Groupie
Groupie

Postby TequillaJack » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My personal fav for under 1500 or around 1500 would be the Bentley#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.applesaddlery.com/c233848p16517200.2.html"#ed_cl#http://www.applesaddlery.com/c233848p16517200.2.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But check out Apple Saddlery right now the Bates is on sale for 1998.00#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.applesaddlery.com/c233848.2.html"#ed_cl#http://www.applesaddlery.com/c233848.2.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just about any of those saddles are great saddles expect the HDRs#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Marty_Jones » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a stubben for sale hint hint. It doesnt fit my bone rack lol. Its awsome for jumping its gone 5ft. However Im not soooo keen on doing dressage in it but I have, abd done well. Anywho I like Stubbens. Pm me if you want my saddle lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ArabJumper » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:51 pm

Have you looked into a Smith Worthington? They are wool flocked and can
be customed to your horse. I had a jumping one, I loved it, great for
the horse, however it was dry and had to be oiled all the time. I sold
it and wish I hadn't.
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby BarnBratCSA » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I didnt read all the posts, so hopefully I'm not repeating something someone else said, but my personal opinion is that i's best to buy a high quality used saddle than a cheaper brand new one.&nbsp; Nowadays it seems like a lot of companies are making cheap knock-offs of nicer saddles. I'm looking&nbsp;to buy, and i almost bought a really old saddle that was super high quality... it was an older style Beval Natural...the new ones suck, by the way.&nbsp; I didnt end up getting it, but i think that I'm going to get one of those or an older Pessoa A/O... for the money, they're worth it, even used! Pessoa's have a lifetime warranty on the tree.&nbsp; Just like everything else, stuff was made better "way back when"....so keep that in mind in your search for a saddle.&nbsp; BUT, if you go with a used one, have a reputable person check it out first to make sure it's in good shape#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ArabJumper » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:55 pm

BarnBratCSA wrote:#ed_op#div#ed_cl#I didnt read all the posts, so hopefully
I'm not repeating something someone else said, but my personal opinion
is that i's best to buy a high quality used saddle than a cheaper brand
new one.&nbsp; Nowadays it seems like a lot of companies are making
cheap knock-offs of nicer saddles. I'm looking&nbsp;to buy, and i
almost bought a really old saddle that was super high quality... it was
an older style Beval Natural...the new ones suck, by the way.&nbsp; I
didnt end up getting it, but i think that I'm going to get one of those
or an older Pessoa A/O... for the money, they're worth it, even used!
Pessoa's have a lifetime warranty on the tree.&nbsp; Just like
everything else, stuff was made better "way back when"....so keep that
in mind in your search for a saddle.&nbsp; BUT, if you go with a used
one, have a reputable person check it out first to make sure it's in
good shape#ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Pessoa's have a lifetime warranty becuase they need it!! I had 2 of
them, worst saddles ive ever owned!! It's like they are just made to be
comfy for the rider but otherwise are crappy saddles.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby BarnBratCSA » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've ridden in many pessoa's and I find that they are really good for the horse.&nbsp; In fact, a vet recommended my friend get one for her horse with a sore back.&nbsp; I think they're really nice saddles, and they've been around forever.&nbsp; I'm a fan of sticking with something that works... I dont like to buy into new fad stuff, and before I buy a saddle, I want to know that its a brand that's been around for a while and working.&nbsp; Similar to a truck, I suppose. I'm a diehard Chevy fan...they last forever...wont catch me buying some new Honda pickup...they just havent been doing it long enough to get it right.&nbsp; Same goes for saddles...companies that have been doing it longer make better saddles#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ArabJumper » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:15 pm

BarnBratCSA wrote:#ed_op#div#ed_cl#I've ridden in many pessoa's and I find
that they are really good for the horse.&nbsp; In fact, a vet
recommended my friend get one for her horse with a sore back.&nbsp; I
think they're really nice saddles, and they've been around
forever.&nbsp; I'm a fan of sticking with something that works... I
dont like to buy into new fad stuff, and before I buy a saddle, I want
to know that its a brand that's been around for a while and
working.&nbsp; Similar to a truck, I suppose. I'm a diehard Chevy
fan...they last forever...wont catch me buying some new Honda
pickup...they just havent been doing it long enough to get it
right.&nbsp; Same goes for saddles...companies that have been doing it
longer make better saddles#ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You must be younger tha me if you think Pessoa's been around forever.
The 2 I had sucked!! I have known many people who hate them. Personally
I like Beval or Antarres. You cannot even custom a Pessoa to your
horses back. Maybe it depends on the model you get? I don't know. I
hated both of mine. One saddle even started to break down, it&nbsp;
wasn't even that old. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Ditto on Chevys, me too! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby BarnBratCSA » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hehe, well Arab, at least we can agree on trucks!&nbsp; I like Beval's too...but not the new Naturals, only the old ones.&nbsp; The new ones are just awful! They dont look nice, they're not comfortable, and I'm not crazy for the way they fit any horse.&nbsp;&nbsp; If I could buy ANY saddle I wanted, it would totally be the Tad Coffin.&nbsp;&nbsp; However, I just cant justify spending $3000 on a saddle! I didnt spend that on my first horse! hehehe#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter/Jumper