Best supplement for foal?

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Best supplement for foal?

Postby Ruth » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What do you guys like for a vitamin/mineral supplement. Leah was weaned a bit early due to her pasterns getting upright and she was looking a little clubby in one foot. I have been giving her a half cup Optimal twice a day, and she was looking pretty good so I added a LITTLE Juvenile Development, well sure enough the foot is not looking as good as it was, so back down to Optimal only. The problem is, you're not really supposed to feed Optimal alone. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does anyone know about Foal-Aid from Buckeye? It says it's recommended for foals under 3 months and she's almost 5 so I didn't know if it would still benefit her at all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just the name "Gro-Colt" puts me off that one, we are trying to slow down her growth, not maximize it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well if it has one foot that is a little clubby it won't be attributed to grain/Juvenile Development.  Is that not more conformation?  Definitely have the farrier look at it.  I would consult with a nutritionist from Purina as that is what you are feeding.  I find that Marc Blouin very informative.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I feed Optimal and JD....works for me...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Leena » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't give any supplement to mine since everything is balanced in their foal food. Just good hay, foal ration balancer 18% and a block of salt plus plenty of room to run and play ! Hope this help !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No, it is probably not a conformation issue, much more likely rapid growth or a mineral imbalance. The vet recommended weaning, no grain and just a vitamin/mineral supplement. The farrier comes every 2 weeks to take a little off the heels, the right looks great now, but the left, which was looking quite good has started to get more upright again since adding the JD back. I'm not blaming the JD per se, it probably wouldn't matter what I fed her, she seems to be one of those foals that  any attempt to add concentrates results in vertical spurts.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And to add fuel to the fire Benji is also going this way, so he is getting weaned tonight. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I probably will consult with a Purina rep as this needs to get sorted before next year's foal. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am actually wondering if the problem may be related to our very hard water. Could also be a decline in pasture quality, but once it's grazed down at all I add hay.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I'm just looking at ideas for a good vitamin/mineral supplement for foals that can be fed alone for now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena, the hay looks good (am going to get an analysis done soon, to be sure - but I have been getting hay from this supplier for years), they are not supposed to be having ANY foal food (which is why I need something other than the Optimal as a supplement), they are out at least 12 hours a day in a big field and have access to salt.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Leena » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth, I see. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well the problem is I get all my diet from Coop and it is difficult for me to describe since it is generic. I give a vitamines/mineral supplement only to the broadmare but I don't think I am any help here !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The food I am giving to my weanlings is sort of pellets.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, good luck !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition