Colic - very sick horse

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Colic - very sick horse

Postby Gemina » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think tomorrow morning I will have the vet in for the last time. It is so sad. Don't know what type of colic he has but he is not eating, drinking or pooping.  He keeps vomiting thru his nose. I've walked him so much and now he doesn't want to come with me.  He's an old horse I've had him for 13 years. Can't imagine my life without him. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aww, Gemina!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your horse is that bad why don't you call the vet NOW??  Vomiting through the nose can't be good!!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you think that the colic has anything to do with his buddy leaving recently??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Fingers crossed for a happy outcome.  I hope your guy lasts till the vet gets there tomorrow.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:39 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I agree with C. Gemina....why wait for tomorrow...vomiting is not a good sign.  He is old I know, and you hate to think of the next step, but he is looking at you for help and comfort, as he always has.  Don't let him down when he needs you most.  The vet is the only answer he can advise the best procedures to take.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I know that you do not want to do what is enevitable....no one does...but one has to bite the bullet sometimes for our best friends.  If he is in pain and misery....you don't want him to suffer anymore...#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I do hope that things have gotten better for the poor boy...Good luck girl...I got my fingers crossed for both horse and rider...I know what you are going through...most of us have been there.  Jingles.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Gemina » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry, I've had the vet out yesterday morning. She did all the things normally done plus penicilin shot, etc. But he's no better. Poor guy has trouble walking. Thankfully our neighbour is looking after getting a place ready for him. The vet is coming today to put him down.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, Gemina, I am so, so sorry for you!  Deepest condolences.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:21 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#I am so sorry, Gemina...a good thing to do while putting you pet to sleep is think of a dandilion you know all that fuzzy seed head that blows in the wind...visualize blowing on one of those dandilions...and watching the seed fuzz fly up to "heaven"...think of that as your horses being...floating up there like that...it may help and you will maybe have some peace of mind which your horse will feel....I may sound  hookey...but hey...it is worth a try.  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gemina - I am so very sorry.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/9.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You are doing the right thing hun and he will be in a better place.  When I put my last horse down, only a couple hours after we realized she was colicking, the vet said that she had gone 'vegetable' from the pain and that if we didn't put her down right away, she would die of cardiac arrest.  In some strange way, I felt at peace putting her down.  It helped me feel like it was the last thing I had control over and that it was 100% for her own sake.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It hurt, of course, but I felt so much better after it was all over and I knew she wasn't hurting anymore.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your boy will thank you for this.  He will be okay and will be looking down on you.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We are here for you too Gemina.  *hugs*#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Ruth » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sooo sorry to hear that Gemina. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know my little girl was a bit colicky last night, and all the horrible things that run through your head while you're waiting for the vet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Poor guy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Gemina » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you. Yes, Eileen hope he meets up with his old friend Patsy.  Yes, Lix, it's better for him probably should have had it done yesterday because he was such an old guy. Very special.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:28 pm

Oh Gemina, my heart goes out to you. 13 years is a long time, they really do become a part of you. I will be thinking of you and him. I am sure that Patsy is waiting there for him. Hugs to you at such a difficult time.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gemina that is so sad but I think you are doing the right thing from the sounds of it!  Jingles to you#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gemina, I'm soooo sorry for you!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I had to put my first horse Farmer down the same way, I had him for 16 years, and he was quite sick, colicing all the time, and not eating.  It was SO hard for me to make that desicion.  I just could not bare life w/out him!  But, the day I decided to do it ( after much pressure from my dad/vet), I felt so relieved, as I new he was not suffering anymore, due to my selfishness.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's hard to let go, but there comes that day, when we know we must.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll be thinking of you!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby draftdriver » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:34 am

Gemina, my sympathies.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GEMINA.....I am SO very sorry to hear this news.  Know this, that you are doing something we all dread BUT know your doing the right thing because you are doing it for him.  I know in time the pain will fade BUT your memories will be there to cherish.  I had my Caper for 13 good years and I think of him every day.  Hopefully you can get another horse to fill the void.   It helped me....Thinking of you today......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:10 am

I'm so sorry you have to do this, but he's in a better place over the
rainbow bridge. You will always have those special memories and it
sounds like he had a very nice retirement. Keep a lock of his mane for
good measure and put it above your barn door for luck.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
We are all here for you.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gemina, how are you doing??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Gemina » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I feel strange. Keep thinking that I need to feed him, clean his stall, go get him from the paddock, it's time to ride, etc. etc. Everywhere I look reminds me of him. Today, I decided to clean out his stall and Tiffy, our dog, and I made many trips to the manure pile. By the time I had finished I'd stopped being teary. Yes, as those of you who have had to do this, I do feel better that he is not suffering anymore. But being retired and living in the boondocks he was a very big part of my life. Not sure what I want to do with all the time I have now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have you thought about getting a new horse (or two)??  Maybe something from one of the rescues, so that you can give an unwanted horse a new home and life??  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It may be too soon but I've always found that the best way to get over the death of a beloved pet is to get a new one that you can shower all your love and affection onto.  You will never forget your old boy but providing for a new animal who needs love and care can sometimes help to fill the void.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Take care   #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am with Chenders....Sometimes filling the void with a new pet/horse is the best medicine.  There are so many been there done that types out there....waiting to be your next pasture buddy and trail companion.  I could not avoid the barn as I had others to care for.  The first day seeing his empty stall was heart wrenching....but time was a healer.  I then focused my attention to our new acquisition for my son.  It too time to bond to this new horse as he was the spitting image of my old guy.  Same markings too.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When your ready you may start your search to fill that void....  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby KBOC » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:13 pm

I wouldn't be so fast to do this if this horse was that special to
you.  I think you need to really heal then, find the right horse
you can fall in love with all over again.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Maybe spend time helping other horse people out to fill the time... :D#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
KBOC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition