Putting a horse "down"

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Putting a horse "down"

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, why i read into this, i was thinking if Ship had to be put down by a vet how would it have gone, i like to know if it was a happy death or not..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know #ed_op#SPAN class=name#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1520"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#Gemina#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl# has just posted about having to put her horse down, but i knew if i didn't write about it i would forget... So anyway i've never seen any pet be put down. I read with horses, they either paralize them then do an injection thing, or give them a heart attack for 5 mins...So if my facts are true ( have " re-searched " into it, not just me saying stupid stuff ) is this really a good way to die. #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=name#ed_cl#I would have thought, before i read into it that they would just put them to sleep ( uthenize i think its called ) then inject them with something.. #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=name#ed_cl#Sorry for all my spelling errors..lol#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've had to have dogs and horses put down. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I'm not sure if you are questioning how 'humane' it is but in my case, the animals were tranquilized, and lay down, and then were given an injection to euthanise them (it's basically just a high dose of tranquilizer). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#My animals passed away peacefully this way (other than whatever other illness they suffering from). It's a hard thing to do for us as owners but I sincerely doubt that the procedure itself, done correctly, would cause the animal pain. In my case, my horses just lay there and just stopped breathing. I can't think of anything more humane to do with a sick, suffering animal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I understand your train of thinking though in wondering about Ship. I can relate. I lost 2 dogs in a fire a couple years ago and I became obsessed in knowing if they suffered or not when they died. I am told no - but I know people will obviously tell me that since they don't want me to hurt more. I can't say that I've really come to peace with it. Despite losing other dogs and horses since that fire, I still cry over that particular loss. I haven't been able to find peace in what happened and move on, but I do know that time heals wounds, and though it's taking a long time, just like it might with you and Ship, you have to remember that you couldn't have done anything to change what happened and it's not your fault. ;) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Not sure if I answered your question on euthanasia but I am very much for it and am very much at peace with the times I've had to resort to it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby draftdriver » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:13 am

The usual procedure is to give the horse a strong sedative. You then have a bit of time to get the horse to walk to where you want the final deed done. You have to be quick about it, though, because the sedative acts really quickly. Then the vet gives the final shot, called Euthanol, I think. This stops the horse's heart. You have to be very careful at this point, because the horse will go down like a felled tree, and you don't want to be in the way! The heart fibrulates for a while, then stops. When the heart finally stops, the horse is officially gone. Really, they're pretty much gone within seconds of the final shot. There may be some brain activity, but it, too, would stop soon. They say the last thing to go is the hearing, so you can pat and say goodbye when the horse is on the ground.

Now you've got me crying!
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Southwinds* » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This past July I witnessed a good family friend put her horse down, it was a very sad day for I had rode/shown this horse for a season.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We took him out back where he was going to be buried, and the vet gave him a strong dose of tranquilizer, within about a minute, he was down. (when they go down you are to hold and pull thier head forward so they just dont colaspe really hard - this has them gently lay down rump first)  The vet will then give the final injection (I dont know what the technical term is but it stops the heart) I would say it is a peaceful way to go, he did not look like he was suffering. It is very quick.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#After they do lose their bowl control and some manure will come out. Their tounge will hang and their eyes are open. Sounds gross, but when you see how peaceful they are it did not really bother me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is a sad time, for at my house they are part of the family (as like many of you would agree) and this quote seems to make it a bit easier "Dont cry because its over, smile because it happened"#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Southwinds*
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:19 am

I have held all our many dogs in my arms as they went to sleep. I have also been there for two of my horses. Each time I can truly say that it was very peaceful. I never witnessed any fear in their eyes. I think that they know and are very grateful to us for ending their suffering. Every time I have had to make the decision I have been sure in my heart that it is the right thing to do and the right time. There is something in their eyes that you can see when they no longer wish to be on this earth. What a gift to be able to let them pass in peace.

I used to wish that they would die in their sleep but it has never happened for me. Now I realize that it is a gift to be able to plan their leaving, to have time to say goodbye and to thank them, to honour them as our special friends. To me, it is a very special time, although painful, and full of memories. By the time the final needle is administered they are already almost gone. It is as if they just become really, really sleepy. I have been lucky that both vets that put down my horses were fantastic. They both dropped easily and I was able to have my hands on them as they passed.

Not sure exactly what you were looking for but I know that I am a strong believer in euthanization.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you everyone. From what i read about it, it sounded horrible. I was the stallions get gelded and the same sorda thing happened. They were given a strong sedative and you had to hold their head up while they went down. I thought about it and it would make sence to do the same thing, and i guess they do. Maybe hwat i read was outdated or something... It was talking about race horses? So maybe they do it differenty? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ship died on impact which was good..well good as it gets i guess, not suffering. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm asking also because im looking into getting GT a compainion, we were suppost to get one but the value of life took place. It was an old, arthritic horse basically only walking. I was looking at heaven can wait and saw a really sweet stb mare. But i don't want to get one and have to put it down a year or 2 later. But from what all of you say makes me feel a bit better if i did have to put one down. thanks=)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition