Would you buy an Arabian??

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Would you buy an Arabian??

Postby Horsecetra » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont know what to do, i am really confused.  I love arabians so so much, and my trainer has informed me of some that are for sale that she used to board, 2 black stallions - one is the father of the other, however I was told the father is completely psycho, but the son could be trusted with a child, and of course some mares.  lots of people have said to steer clear of arabians.  i have never been around one, but they are my dream horse, i love them so much.  going to make arrangements to go and see these horses.  but any input would be great!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horsecetra
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *rickie* » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I've owned an arab, and have ridden a few of them, and all I can say is that they are the most amazing breed of all horses!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#When you get a good one, you will NEVER want anything else!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#My signature (below) says everything, and it's all 100% true!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Besides, I would never pass up a horse just because of it's breed! Learnt that one.....I hated QH when I was younger, took one special QH to change my mind, and guess what....I own one now, mind you he's not your typical QH, but still all the same a full QH!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:10 pm

I agree, - I love arabs!!! Do you have pics of them? hehe if you are going to stand them at stud i have a mare for one in a couple years! Especially if they are homozygous! ;)
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pony Hunter » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No I would not buy a arb, I don't like them at all. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmm Arabs.. i would buy one to look at, and if i choose to go into competative trail riding everyone seems to have one so if my TB isn't "up to snuff" i may invest... If not i would buy some for their prettyness but they seem a little high stug lmao so i buy tb's. They never really were appealing to me, it also dipends one what you want one for too, if you want to do high level eventing i would say get something else, or uhh barrel racing i'd say get something else. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rickie:#ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#''An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has been raised not only to a level of physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty" - Sheikh Al-Maktom#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are TB's not made the same way?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *rickie* » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:12 pm

Pretty_Pony72 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#they seem a little high stug lmao so i buy tb's. They never really were appealing to me,
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#hmmm you haven't had any good arabs. The high strung thing comes from improper breeding, or handling. All of the ones I've had, have been quieter and more bomb proof than ANY QH or any other breed for that matter! And let me tell you, they are much easier for a beginner to sit on than some other breeds, as they generally don't pull on you, or even lean on your hands....that makes learning WAY easier!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
Pretty_Pony72 wrote: #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rickie:#ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#''An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has been raised not only to a level of physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty" - Sheikh Al-Maktom#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are TB's not made the same way?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Nope, they sure aren't. Although I'm soo sure that there are many TBs who are very loyal, I have yet to see one as loyal and trust worthy as any of the arabs I've had or dealt with. My last arab was so ultimately attached to me, that he would do anything for me, but wouldn't be even close to the same way with ANYONE else. He didn't even want them petting him, not that he was mean; they would just go to pet him, and he'd turn his head away...as if to say,"you may look but not touch, that is left for my mom!" He was soo the greatest!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#There is more to that quote, although EC wouldn't let me have the whole thing....I'll dig out the rest of it, and post it in here!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby EatMyDust » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I own a half arab...and if you read my posts youll understand what some of them are like. I personally love arabs. 2nd breed of choice(shhh dont tell). They are a little high strung, but make great endurnance horses, as well as great pets. Dusty is very pretty to look at also....looks arent everything, buts its always a nice feature.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So yeah I would buy one...maybe...(read Another Fall and youll find out)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Patricia » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a VERY nice 1/2 registered Polish Arab yearling filly.  They are not to be confused with the more refined, dainty Egyptian Arab.  Polish are bigger boned, with a deeper heart girth and bigger feet.  They also are more level headed and NOT as flighty as Egyptian.  In the right hands with good training they can do amazing things.  My filly should easily mature 16H+ and would suit dressage.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A good horses is a GOOD horse no matter what breed.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:08 am

Patricia wrote:<DIV>I have a VERY nice 1/2 registered Polish Arab yearling filly. They are not to be confused with the more refined, dainty Egyptian Arab. Polish are bigger boned, with a deeper heart girth and bigger feet. They also are more level headed and NOT as flighty as Egyptian. In the right hands with good training they can do amazing things. My filly should easily mature 16H+ and would suit dressage. </DIV><DIV>A good horses is a GOOD horse no matter what breed. </DIV>

I didn't know you had any arabs patricia!!! I am partial to the polish type *because* they are bigger. Got any pics of your filly? I'd LOVE to see her! :D

Rickie - HAHAHAHA Dream (part arab too) is the same way! Dosn't really like people petting him unless he knows them well - he just does the same thing and turns his head away. If he dosn't know them at all he just flips his tail and walks away lol. I love the one-ownerness of him. Harvey on the other hand (my belgian/qh cross in case you are wondering HC) will come up to the fence for attention the second she sees anyone there.
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: Would you buy an Arabian??

Postby pmc » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:47 am

Horsecetra wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love arabians so so much, and my trainer has informed me of some that are for sale that she used to board, #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#2 black stallions#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# - one is the father of the other, however I was told the father is completely psycho, but the son could be trusted with a child,
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are you experienced enough and have the facilities available to handle a stud, or are you prepared to geld?&nbsp;&nbsp;And remember, if the father is "completely psycho" the apple usually doesn't fall that far from the tree... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have heard about these two horses off and on over the past few years. If you try the horse and like it, why not? Horses are individuals after all. I've ridden very mellow Arabs, I've also ridden (a particular one leaps to my mind) a couple that were not for the faint of heart! The stallion thing could be an issue though. You have your horses at home I believe? Do you have an adequate facility to cope with a stallion?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Horsecetra » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i making arrangements to see&nbsp;him next weekend, and hopefully have some pics.&nbsp; i believe my trainer wouldnt have suggested it to me if she thought we couldnt handle him or keep him on our property&nbsp;, we plan to go and ask tons of questions, i do want to make the right choice.&nbsp; he is 50% egyptian.&nbsp; my trainer will be coming with us, she is great that way, she has&nbsp;offered to&nbsp;help us find a new horse, and knew i was kinda partial to the arabians.&nbsp; we will be moving up to Cochrane in a few years, as we bought over 140 acres, we are planning to start a horse camp ground (bring your own horses or use ours) and trail rides, we also have access to hundreds of acres of crown land.&nbsp; we also wanted to breed as hobby.&nbsp; i've been told its a great idea, and cant wait to do it.&nbsp; this is something we will think out competely, no rash decsions!!&nbsp; highly appreciate everyones input!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horsecetra
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Megan Ball » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have an Arab mare, and she is my dream horse! I always wanted a grey and black Arab mare. And a few years ago, that's what I got and I'll tell you I will never sell her!! She is a great horse!! COmers right up for pats, I do pony rides with my 2 yr old on her bareback!! She is comfy and with a great attitude. Her only problem(now I say this because I teach beginner riders) is that she has a very soft mouth so she is for my intermediate rider. We're in the middle of teaching her to jump and she is so willing to please!! I'd get another Arab any day of the weeks!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Patricia » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Something to think about if you are planning a move north and starting a trail riding business.&nbsp; Search out hardier breeds that tolerate the coldl better.&nbsp; I know someone who get nice summer camp horses BUT in the late Fall sells off the breeds that can't tolerate winter.&nbsp; She usually has an Arab and a couple of nice TB's for sale.&nbsp; She hangs on to the hardy ponies, QH's, paints etc.&nbsp; Most important thing to look for two is temperament as you will have MANY beginners.&nbsp; Good luck in the search!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:43 pm

I love Arabians. Love them. They are great. I have never met one that
fit the "stupid, flighty" stereotype everyone tells you. They are
smart, loyal, affectionate and VERSATILE. My coach's Arabian mare does
jumping and dressage, kicks butt at western pleasure, is speedy at
gymkhanas, a blast on trail rides and a star at Pat Parelli stuff. On
top of that she's used as a school horse. The only thing she doesn't do
is drive her, and even then I think she'd be good at it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I think my next horse will be an Arabian. I'm trying to talk my friend
into selling me her black Egyptian yearling filly. She is the sweetest
thing ever and so conformationally correct.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Patricia - From my experience all the Egyptian Arabians I know(12) are
not half as flighty as you say. My friend owns a straight Egyptian stud
who is the biggest darling of the horse world, I don't think I will
EVER meet a stallion with as nice a temperment. Friendly, loyal, brave
and intelligent he is awesome. Her mares are all high percentage or
straight Egyptian and are all level headed and kind. The one mare with
the most other blood, Polish and Russian actually, is a little more
difficult at times. But her Egyptians can't be beat, if you ask me.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: Would you buy an Arabian??

Postby KBOC » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:49 pm

pmc wrote:#ed_op#div#ed_cl#Are you experienced enough and have the facilities
available to handle a stud, or are you prepared to geld?&nbsp;&nbsp;And
remember, if the father is "completely psycho" the apple usually
doesn't fall that far from the tree... #ed_op#img src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Are you trying to say that Psycho horses usually have Psycho owners? :P#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
KBOC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby pmc » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Only a psycho person would *want* to own a psycho horse, KBOC! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Arabians

Postby Hope03 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love arabians, always have always will.&nbsp; I co-oped at a farm with 23 of them and I was in heaven.&nbsp; The stallions were great to work with and even the babies we trained were awesome.&nbsp; I hate when people say they hate arabians and that they are crazy when they don't even know them.&nbsp; My last riding instructor hated them and in turn they didn't like her lol.&nbsp; I had never had a bad experience with them ever.&nbsp; I got to handle the 23 of the horses daily, mostly the boys and the younger ones but I also got to work with ones in for training.&nbsp; The only reason people don't like them and say they are crazy is because they are less forgiving about mistreatment than lets say standardbreds.&nbsp; Most arabians will either fight back or won't let you near them (my experiences) I worked with one who had been abused and she would just stand in her stall and shake! another horse who had been hit would bite.&nbsp; Standardbreds just seem to take it and not ask questions.&nbsp; Treat them well and they will give you the same treatment. They are so smart! I would definately buy an arabian and those that don't like them should try being around more of them.&nbsp; I tried breeding my mare to three different arabians studs&nbsp;because I like the breed so much-she was barren for awhile lol.&nbsp; Another good thing about them is they are gorgeous!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I, personally, would not own an Arabian.&nbsp; Like TBs, they are more sensitive and reactive and less forgiving than the more cold-blooded breeds...and me, being a nervous rider,&nbsp;does not do well with a sensitive horse (been there, done that...read my post in the "bucking" thread).&nbsp; If YOU love the breed though, then by all means, go for it and get one!!&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll agree with Patricia, and say that, if you plan to open a trail riding business, you would be better off using QH's or draft-crosses or other "coldbloods"&nbsp;as your trail horses.&nbsp; Most Arabians do not do well with rank beginners, which is the type of rider you are most likely to attract.&nbsp; You will want something that will tolerate the bumping, kicking&nbsp;and yanking, and most Arabians don't tolerate that stuff very well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They are a beautiful breed though.&nbsp; We have&nbsp;a few&nbsp;at our barn and they all seem lovely and quiet.&nbsp; But not a breed I would ever choose for myself.&nbsp; I'm happy with my quiet, less reactive&nbsp;Paint #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//grin.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As someone who is getting into Arabian horse breeding and everything that goes with it I can agree with some of&nbsp; the posts. Arabians are not for everyone! They are however the most intelligent horse and having said that require a&nbsp;more stimulating training program. They&nbsp;tend to get board easy so you have to&nbsp;work&nbsp;them keeping this in mind. Every horse is different including Arabians in that I have seen push-button, bombproof, and to the other end of the spectrum hot. I myself&nbsp;prefer a larger horse so I have a&nbsp;QH/Belgian cross. This is a size thing since I&nbsp;am 6'2" and close to 200lbs. My son is now into eventing so we lease a big lanky TB for him. I have seen some pretty amazing things that Arabians can do though. At some lower level shows there are lots of 14.2h Arabians that out jump17h&nbsp;TB.&nbsp;and can perform outstanding dressage. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't sell them&nbsp;short, when it comes down to versatility they are second to none.&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font size="3"><font color="red">

El Samar Arabians
Brighton Ont.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/andy.hope
Andy
Newbies
Newbies

Next

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling