Rash on yearlings face?

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Rash on yearlings face?

Postby Hope03 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:23 pm

HI everyone. My colt who is a year old has a bunch of bumps on his chin and lips, there are a couple on his nostrils as well. Last year my other colt had it and my neighbours colt had it when she bought him from a completely different area. I can't remember if my girls had it because I was only 11 when I got them but I think they did. It is not contagious (spelling) because he touches noses with the other 6 horses and none of them have it. He doesn't seem to be itchy but it looks horrible! Last year with my other colt it went away once it got cold. If anyone has any ideas of what it is and how to get rid of it it would be a great help. I thought it might have been an allergic reaction to the grass because they went into a new field but since none of the others got it I ruled that out. Is it something that happens to younger horses or something? It has never come back with my mares of the other colt. Thanks in advance!
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Perilous » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sounds like warts to me, younger horses tend to get them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#They will grow out of them-don't worry, just cosmetic.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Perilous
Newbies
Newbies

Postby pmc » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yup, sounds like warts to me, too...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Warts

Postby Hope03 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:05 pm

Thank you very much. It looks so bad on him, it never got that bad with the others. I can't believe he isn't trying to itch them off! He is still cute though lol. Thanks again.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:57 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Yep, I had a youngster that had a real herd of those nasty looking warts all over his nose and lips and muzzle.  They all left though with out me doing a damned thing for them...dont know how they got there and dont know what made them leave...but they were not a big issue unless "ugly" is an issue...lol#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition