Throbbing HeadAches

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Throbbing HeadAches

Postby EatMyDust » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yesterday I woke up to go to work and I had a throbbing headache. I went to work and the pain was horrible. I took some tylonel and it went away. I came home and went riding and as soon as I put my helmet on it came back. I had my helmet fitted to my head so I know that its not to small, but I cant figure out why it hurts so bad. When I fell off the horse the pain got worse then to, because I was holding back tears but it hasnt gone away and that was at 430 yesterday. Ive had it on/off all day, meaning like its either bareable, or my head is pounding...Does anyone have any HOME remedies for headaches.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby ForPleasure » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I was younger I used to get migraines. If you're looking for non-medicinal relief, you could try taking a washcloth or small towel and soaking it in cold water, then wringing it out and putting it on your head, lying down in a dark room -- I found this used to help me. I don't know if you have the time to do this but it's worth a try. Hope you feel better!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
ForPleasure
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SEEK medical attention.  If it is true migraine tylenol alone will NOT work!  There really is no relief without medication.  My sister's would be so bad she would have to get driven to the hospital for a demerol shot.  I met with a neurologist when we were involved in a vitamin study at the hospital.  When going over family history I talked about my headaches.  He prescribed Naproxen.  It is a very mild med and works quickly.  I only take one.  It is an anti-inflammatory type drug.  So the slight sign of a headache I take one of these and voila relief before it even gets started.  Waking up with a headache in the middle of the night or early am is a migraine--often triggered by weather change.  Definitely consult with your doctor.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I NEVER ride unless I am feeling 100%--My thinking is every ride is a training session and when NOT 100% what are you teaching your horse.  I think you stated you fell off....Hope your on the mend soon!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby EatMyDust » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I went to bed early last night, and had a good sleep. I adjusted my pillows and put them around me so I would lay on my side. I went to bed with a headche, and woke up good as new. Im going to try the cloth on my neck. I do get miagranes sometimes when the weather is changing, so I drink some water, take some tylonel and have a nap. I always wake up feeling better, Not always 100% but better then what I was.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When you feel crappy 50% of the time, you dont have the time NOT to ride. So I do anyways. I have to. I have a young horse and when I do ride he gets antzy and trys everything in the book to run, buck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the help#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Patricia » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WELL if your only feeling 50% most of the time--I would be addressing that and asking WHY?  I think if you horse is giving you grief it could be that he can sense that you are not in control/confident and not feeling 100%.  I would always do other things with my horse....ground work, lunge or long lining rather than ride if I was not well.  No one HAS to ride.  If your taking a lot of falls you may want to get a pro to help re-start your horse.  Good basics are so vital and then you can build a good partnership.  It should be a fight it should be fun!  I still would be speaking with your doctor about proper meds for the problem...tylenol doesn't do anything for me.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia, some doctors arn't that "giving" with the medication. I have had problems sleeping and with headaces for forever now, I hve gone in repeatedly to my doctor and he will not give me anything. One time he tried to suggest that I was depressed and should be on meds because of the sleeping issue and migraines. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And unfortunaltey it is not very easy to get a different doctor in my area so im pretty much SOL.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I find sometimes advil will take the edge off. I get migraines constantly, ive had one for the past few weeks and right now I feel exausted from it and the lack of sleep. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree if your absolutely not in a condition to ride, as I sometimes am. I find lounging her works just as well. It doesnt hurt to do it once in awhile. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia, some doctors arn't that "giving" with the medication. I have had problems sleeping and with headaces for forever now, I hve gone in repeatedly to my doctor and he will not give me anything. One time he tried to suggest that I was depressed and should be on meds because of the sleeping issue and migraines. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And unfortunaltey it is not very easy to get a different doctor in my area so im pretty much SOL.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I find sometimes advil will take the edge off. I get migraines constantly, ive had one for the past few weeks and right now I feel exausted from it and the lack of sleep. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree if your absolutely not in a condition to ride, as I sometimes am. I find lounging her works just as well. It doesnt hurt to do it once in awhile. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're feeling crappy 50% of the time, I would still go see your doctor- it could be something really simple that is bother you (like a vitamin definicy or something like that- for example, if you're really tired for long periods of time, it's usually low iron- so you can fix that). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't get headaches very often so I can't really help you- usually when I do, my first route is to drink some water (sometimes I find they are caused from not drinking enough waaer) and if it persists, then I take some pills (if Tylenol isn't working, try Ibrophen). But I know with one of my friends, she fell off riding once and was finding that she was getting bad headaches for a few weeks. She ended up seeing her chiro, and he did an adjustment on her neck/shoulders and the headaches stopped. She had just put something out of alignment.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's why I say go to your doctor if it persists to see if it isn't something small. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're feeling crappy 50% of the time, I would still go see your doctor- it could be something really simple that is bother you (like a vitamin definicy or something like that- for example, if you're really tired for long periods of time, it's usually low iron- so you can fix that). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't get headaches very often so I can't really help you- usually when I do, my first route is to drink some water (sometimes I find they are caused from not drinking enough waaer) and if it persists, then I take some pills (if Tylenol isn't working, try Ibrophen). But I know with one of my friends, she fell off riding once and was finding that she was getting bad headaches for a few weeks. She ended up seeing her chiro, and he did an adjustment on her neck/shoulders and the headaches stopped. She had just put something out of alignment.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's why I say go to your doctor if it persists to see if it isn't something small. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No one should have to suffer with migraines.  At least that is what my neurologist said.  What I take is actually for other ailments but helps with the migraines.  He said it is very safe to take and what he takes himself.  It is an  anti inflammatory--so it also relieves my back pain and my sore feet.  I have plantar fascitous (sp?) due to severe flat feed and my tendons are stretched.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Emerald » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am in complete agreement with seeking medical help, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I have to use myself as an example, I had some really serious headaches once which as it turned out to be related to my neck, the muscle was so swollen it was actually starting to cut the blood flow to my brain.  Chiro adjustments were required. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any number of reasons could be your case. but if it hurts more after a fall, it sounds like something is not in place. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont remember if I said anything about adjusting my pillows? Well I did, I now have two to support me and 2 for my head. IT WORKED WONDERS I havent had any pain in like 4 days. I drink a glass of water before I go to bed and sleep like a baby. This is what teen life is suppose to be about!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well that's good that you've found something that helps.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, I thought 4 pillows was quite a bit. It was probably too much of an inclination for your head. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol...I didnt USE 4 pillows...I used 3 for my head, and one for my side.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, my bad- but still, 3 pillows is ALOT!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley17.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby cadence » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have you thought of salt?  How much salt are you getting in your diet?  Sometimes if my electrolytes are out of wack, I will get a pounding, throbbing headache that nothing works to cure, except salt.  Sometimes a headache can be due to dehydration... maybe that's why the salt works because it makes you hold in water.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cheryl » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have been getting daily headaches now for the last month & a half.  Can't help you as I haven't found anything to help me either.  I have been to the Dr. etc.  who refered me to a neurologist.  I have a CAT scan scheduled for Thursday.  My headaches are in combination with tingling.  You know that feeling when people say someone walked over your grave?  That tingle and a jump you give?  Well I am getting that tingle about every 10 seconds.  Very annoying.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby Piaffing » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would stiill go to the doctor's. Being in pain is not fun. I've been in constant pain since my car accident 2 years ago. As for migraines usually something with codine in it would help.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to EC Health Club