Gets too close to base of jump

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Gets too close to base of jump

Postby KimW » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi guys - I need a little clarification.  I have a mare that tends to get too close to the base of the jumps.  I know about putting the placing pole out 9', and I want to try this, but wasn't sure where exactly you measure from?? I like to have ground rails and have been trying to have them out a bit from the jump (not much just a foot or so out) but then should I measure 9' out from the ground rail or 9' out from the base of the actual jump? Any clarification would be appreciated along with any other tips someone might have.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
KimW
Groupie
Groupie

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its nine feet from the base of the jump. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your horse gets too close as well, try moving your groundrail out as well. I have used this trick a few times to have them back off...about a foot and a half to two feet away really makes a difference! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Leena » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kim, if your mare gets too close, you can help her by setting the jump spot. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try to calcute how many strikes before the jump and then keep her steadily into those strikes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby KimW » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for you help.  I will try it this weekend.  And that is a good point about me getting her to the right spot.  I do have trouble with that and have been trying to work on it.  For some reason this one particular jump I have set up in my ring causes me problems in that I seem to get her to a point where she would either have to take off a bit too far away or add in a stride and then end up a bit too close.  I'm going to have to try making my turn to the jump from different spots to see where we get the best approach.  Thanks again for both your suggestions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
KimW
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#your ground pole should be the same distance away from the base of the jump as the jump is high. IE: 3ft jump, place ground line 3ft away from the base. I started xena jumpign this way. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have not heard about putting it 9ft away though? It sounds a bit odd. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would do grid work with her as well over smaller jumps. She doesnt sound like she is very confident jumping yet? Is she young?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby KimW » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She is 6 yrs old but only really started jumping this past summer.  She was with a trainer for a couple months to get her going and apparently she liked to do the same thing there.  I was told she does better with oxers than verticals.  The trainer had her in a few shows and at one she was reserve champion in a hunter division with a judge apparently visiting from Florida so I guess he probably knew what he was doing - I was very happy with her overall and how well she has progressed.  I'm sure part of the problem is me - don't mean to put the whole blame on the horse!!  lol  I'm not overly experienced in the jumping department which is why she was with a trainer for a while!  I'm also still trying to figure out what a good pace is - I tend to either feel like I'm going too fast or going too slow! My ring isn't overly large so I think I tend to go too slow cause I'm anticipating having to turn shortly after the jump.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Regarding the poles if I understand it right you can have 1) a ground line pole and 2) a placing pole.  Its the placing pole that you can put out 9' from base of the jump so that it gets the horse to a good spot when they put a canter stride over the pole and then take off for the jump???  Supposedly you can also put a placing pole 9' after the jump to back of horses that tend to race off after they land.  That one makes me more nervouse cause I'm afraid they will step on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
KimW
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, your placing pole can be 9' from the jump. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To fix your problem I would also suggest moving the groundline out a bit, then she cannot take off right at the base.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But if say move your groundline out, would you not place the "placing" pole 9' from the groundline, so it is 9' from where you want your horse to take off?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ya the only thing I can think of is just what you said placing a ground pole, try even a whole set of trotting poles ahead of the jump just to set her up for the jump. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Return to Hunter/Jumper