Jumping alone

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Postby Phil » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#didn't intend to be negative sorry.  I'm probably used to riding in a rougher environment doing the thoroughbred thing where the horses are rather unprodictable, i really appriciate having someone around with a phone there thats handy if i wreck myself haha.  I find the best jump schools are ones where u jump around with another rider, set some stuff up and see what u can do with it.  Should make riding more fun too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Phil
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Phil- I didn't take you as being negative. And I do the thoroughbred thing too! Don't think you're the only one who gets a rough ride#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//lick.gif"#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, it is helpful to have someone on the ground, but alot of the time I ride alone and there arent' alot of borders who are up or, atleast riding when I am. We also don't have as many kid borders that we used to that used to be up all the time. Either lesson kids or adults. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby lokukac » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, jumping alone... I don't have to much choice being self-coached. Sometimes I am lucky enough to catch somebody to come and put the rails for me, other than that I have to plan the training carefully, building up the excercises, so I don't have to unmount so often to adjust height or put back poles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As of the fear - the "what happens if..." stuff: I dismissed it, it does not exists. I worry about stuff  when it happens. It is not being irresponsible, it is enjoying things to their full. #ed_op#IMG height=15 src="/richedit/smileys/ec-jumpbars.gif" width=56#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Pilgram » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Phew, I thought i was the only one that freaks out on riding alone. When i was part-boarding ruben for that short period i had him. most of the time no-one was outside.The BO's were inside doing whatever and i was left alone so i just groomed and talked to ruben .Except the odd thursdays the BO's had the western lessons but i am totally paranoid like that I choose not to ride alone .and when i ride i use a vest its just me i fell off a horse when i was 8yrs old he was not suppose to be tacked or even rode but i did had a blast till i met the nut of the western saddle.LOL but yeah im going into either semi-private or group lessons at oakbridge soon once i balance out my check and stop buying clothes,bags and cds lol.this weeks is going to a cellphone plan for my mom and i and our tickets to the horseshows on the 4th.anyways i have to get off the internet and get to class good thing i only have to go for a half hour.. ttyl#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BORN TO RIDE--FORCED TO WORK
When riding you borrow freedom!
Live well,Laugh lots,Ride often.
**Apples are so over-rated~ A Horse I know**
Pilgram

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Some people have no choice. I jump alone, but carefully, and usually Mr.GS is there to help me set jumps and keep an eye on me, which is nice of him. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS- So you've got your own built-in ring crew then?#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I jump alone also. I have a riding instructor, but I go there. And I cant afford for her to come out all the time. But usually I ride with my neighbors. We set up courses and make up different jumps each. Right now Im limited because of the stupid "darker earlier" and the fact that by the time they get to my house its time to go home. The rule is though when we ride together, if you knock a jump over you set it up again, or if you want it higher, or lower, you set it up. If you have someone to ride with, then get them to hold your horse well you adjust the jumps, or if you have a friend/neighbor/barn buddy who likes to watch, as them to adjust the jumps as needed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Hope03 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:04 pm

I jump alone and I always ride alone. No one else in my family is into horses so I am always by myself. I trained my horses by myself from scratch, no human contact at all and no one was ever with me. I have had a few bad falls and been kicked to where I couldn't walk but my German Shepherd always came running for me :D I also learned how to whistle very loud so people would hear me. Now I am very confident in my horses and I trust them (I stress the NOW part of that lol). Things do happen though. As for jumping and no one being able to put up the jumps, I always just waited for all the jumps to come down and then I would get off and set up the course again and I also had the jumps lower so the horse could make is very easily. my girl Dakota always makes sure to not knock it down. I really want to get her into shows! Maybe you could get someone to come out the day you are wanting to jump and just have them help you out. :tu:
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Luckily for me, Zippy rarely knocks a pole down. She's good with her feet. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only thing is, I dont' really have a specific jumping schedule- alot of it depends on who is out in the ring already. Like if I go up and there are still lessons going, I can't really jump, or if there are already alot of people riding I can't. Although, I do tend to go up when there aren't many people- however, there's no one really to bring up. My parents can't stay with me (I have two younger brothers who have their activities) and of course during school it's hard to bring up a friend. So, I am left to jump alone, although lately I haven't been doing much of any jumping because of my sore knee. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just be creative. I use barrels, pylons, straw bales, i make trotting poles, tack boxes, anything and everything i can find. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Re: ...

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:48 am

*Giddy Up* wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS- So you've got your own built-in ring crew then?#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At times ;) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It depends on his mood, and if he feels like coming to the barn with me. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Previous

Return to Hunter/Jumper