To buy or not to buy??

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

To buy or not to buy??

Postby rebelrouser » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:44 pm

I've been riding at a barn for seven years and they have just sold the farm and will be out by mid november. I've been riding this one horse in particular for the past 3 years and i absolutely love him. He trails like a dream, jumps 4'+ and has tons of spunk left in him. He's 21 years old but he doesnt act it. The owner has offered him for sale to me first. Im part way through my first semester at university and Im not sure if i should buy this horse. I don't want him to go to a bad home and he would be my first horse. Im 18 years old and have at least 3 nights a week available to be with him. Do you think I should just buy him? Or wait until I'm done school? Or buy him and part board him to other students? Or should I not buy him due to his age and potentially high vet bills etc...although I have a strong attachment to him and would be satisfied with him being a companion. Please help me!!
rebelrouser
Newbies
Newbies

buying

Postby Hope03 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:04 pm

First you have to think about being able to afford him with you being in school. Costs of farrier, boarding. 21 isn't too bad and I am sure he has lots of life left in him. At my riding instructors place there was a 24 year old still showing but arthritis took over so he had to stop jumping but was sold for pleasure riding. If you are able to afford him I would say why not but it's up to you to make the final decision. Good luck!
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Taking lessons is one thing BUT horse ownership is a BIG step.  Especially being a university student.  Your just beginning.  The workload gets heavier.  Also, are you able to handle the financial burden of boarding and will you really have enough time?  Be realistic.  I'd be interested in what price range this horse falls under....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, if you're thinking of taking on a 21yo you should be prepared for the possibility that you will need to deal with age-related problems at some point.  If you've got the finances to do that, and know that you can afford the horse's regular monthly expenses, then by all means, take him!  He sounds like the perfect first horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's not likely that the owners will be able to get much for him IF they can even sell him at all.  Most people would not take on a horse that old, so keep that in mind when negotiating his price, and don't let them try to over-price him.  A horse like that should not fetch more than about a thousand dollars, if that.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#If you really like him, and you have time/money for his care, I don't see why you shouldn't take him!  In fact, I think it's probably a good idea:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Here is the good and bad that I can think of:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#6000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Good#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#- He will make a great first horse for you#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#- He will get good care from you - not all older horses are that lucky#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#- If you don't have that much time to ride him, it's not that big deal.  It's not like owning a 3 year old who needs consistent tranining. (although you need to have time to go see him, groom him, spoil him, etc.)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#- It's incredibly rewarding for you to adopt an older animal - so many people won't even look at them#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#6000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Bad#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#- He is older.  He obviously won't live another 30 years (but that doesn't mean he doesn' have some good years left in him)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#- He may develop health problems (such as arthritis, etc.)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I agree that his asking price should be pretty low.  Do your research for similar horses of the same age before you make any decisions.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Also, make sure you have time for him and that you won't get bored with horse ownership in a few months.  I hate to see older horses get bounced around from person to person.  They don't deserve that. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Egyptian Queen » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just finished University 2 years ago and am back again for another year and a half in Grad school.  You will find depending on your program that your work load will get heavier every year.  Especially if you are in an honours program.    I found however even living on a farm that I didn't have too much time to ride.  I didn't show last year and probably won't this year because of not having the time to put into the horses. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# If you can find someone to half lease your horse then that would be a good option or can you find a close facility that will use your horse for lessons?  I would prefer to find someone to lease him but at least he is getting attention.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Egyptian Queen
Newbies
Newbies

Postby rebelrouser » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:11 pm

Wow! I wasn't expecting so many replies so fast! Thanks to all of you. I have thought about finding someone to part board him. I think I'm going to go for him. They aren't asking too much for him, and he hasn't had any health issues in the past. The main problem I'm having is finding a barn in the short amount of time I have...I'm in Guelph and a fair amount of people here also have brought their horses with them. If any of you know of any small barns, that would be awesome...I'm not going to be showing him anymore but I just want a comfy little place that isn't snobby or anything. I just want to be able to ride him during the winter and hopefully go on some trails...I know it's such a huge step to buy a horse...especially during uni...but I'm having a real hard time coping without horses right now...I'm sure most of you would agree that being away from horses is the worst punishment possible. I absolutely adore this horse and we used to show together so I just want the best for him. I'm not going to sell him if he gets arthritis or anything, because you can't just give away parts of your family. I've thought about it for the past few years and I think I'm ready for the commitment, and I'm going to try to find someone to part board him with me. Thank you all so much for your advice!!
rebelrouser
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, the barn I board at is in between Guelph and Kitchener but he's full-up for the winter now.  Are you looking for a place with an indoor arena?  If you can survive without one, you'll pay less in board...but then you may have difficulty finding a part-boarder as most people want someplace indoors to ride in the winter.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tbbrat boards at a good place near Cambridge.  No indoor arena but the care is good and I don't think it's too expensive.  Hopefully she will see this thread and respond.  Or maybe some others who are in this area will.  The small, private places are hard to find as they don't normally advertise.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by chenders01 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby tbbrat » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders - are you sharing my brain today? #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"#ed_cl# I already sent a PM #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:30 pm

tbbrat wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders - are you sharing my brain today? #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"#ed_cl# I already sent a PM #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, geez!  First Horsemad and now you??  That's TWO brains I'm sharing today.  Is it me who needs to get my own brain or YOU guys??  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/15.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rebelrouser, I give you kudos for wanting to take this guy on.  If I had the money, I'd get my old horse back in a heartbeat.  You can't beat those older horses, and everything they have to offer.  I'm sure you'll find a suitable, inexpensive place to board him.  Someone on this board will help you find a place.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i'd say go for it - it'll be a huge committment, but if you feel you're ready - then why not?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and as suggested - an option would be to find someone to lease or part board...or perhaps offer him for light lesosn use for a reduced board.? maybe not the fairest thing considering his age, but beginner lessons with no jumping could be done!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling