Hernia

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Hernia

Postby horsecrazy333 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So one of our horses, she's only just 5, apparently has a very tiny hernia on her belly.  I've never felt it in all the times I've groomed her, but when the vet was out to do a vet check for a prospective buyer he apparently found it.  I don't know much about hernias but the vet said if the owner didn't do surgery on it and worked her hard her belly would basically fall out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is this true?  Can anyone provide any insight?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
horsecrazy333

Postby Dee22 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I found this, not sure if it helps at all... #ed_op#A href="http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=482"#ed_cl#http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=482#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Quite a few things came up when I googles 'Equine Hernias"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsecrazy333 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Dee#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I found that one too and just finished reading it.  Thanks.  Doesn't say her stomach will fall out.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
horsecrazy333

Postby draftdriver » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:45 am

One of my draft mares has a repaired hernia. She's 14, and hasn't had anything fall out :lol: . I don't know when the hernia was repaired -- well before I owned her -- but she had a foal at the age of 3 (I know, very young). That foal is now her team mate, my other draft horse.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Shades » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#We have a 6 y/o QH mare that was born with a small hernia.  It has almost disappeared over the years, and nothing is falling outta her.  I have also known people to buy & sell horses with small hernias with no health problems at all.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#They buyer may try to use it as a 'bargaining' tool, but I personally feel that small hernias are really no big deal.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#Good luck.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shades
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Chisholm » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would get another vets opinion on this one.   I saw a foal get herina operated on, but it was fairly big.  Never heard of a herina before on horses.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Interesting because I may very well have felt one before but didn't know what it was.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Diva » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have a 5yr old appendix mare at our barn with a hernia. She has never had surgery on it and it's never caused her any trouble. She's schooling Training level dressage and jumping 2'6-2'9. I would definitely get another vet's opinion. I've never heard of their stomach falling out if worked with a hernia.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Diva
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've seen eventers with noticable hernias, and no falling out stomachs there! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i rememebr when my brother had a hernia...his stomach wasn't going to fall out it was about to explode! lol....he had surgery & it was all better#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#as for horses, i've heard of it, but as for the stomach falling out - sounds like laymans terms for horsey will have a super sore gut. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Tropical Punch » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As posted by Diva above I am the owner of the 5 yr old Appendix mare with a hernia on her belly and I have never had any problems. Half the time I forget its even there LOL! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//laugh.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would definately get a second opinion from another vet. My mare's hernia has never bothered her at all and she is worked 4 days a week in either dressage or jumping and her belly has yet to fall out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tropical Punch
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition