Aluminum vs Steel? Which type of trailer would you buy?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Aluminum vs Steel? Which type of trailer would you buy?

Postby mxfarmgirl » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#We've been out trailer shopping for a 3 horse angle haul.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#Circle J makes this new line of aluminum trailer called the Lightning SX#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#My hubby loves it, light 2600 to 2800 lbs, easy to pull, never rust, 7'3" tall.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#I like there Outback line of deluxe trailers, 3 horse weighs in at 3100 lbs.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#I also like the Trails West 3 horse angle, but it weighed in at 4260 lbs.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#We have 95 3/4 ton Chev for a tow vehicle.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#I don't think I'd pull the Trails West with 3 horses in it behind our truck.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#I've heard bad things about the aluminum trailers for safety reasons.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#We haul a lot of highway miles here, so for obvious reasons the lighter the better.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#Hubby says we should just put ply wood over the kick walls in the Circle J or the heavier 3/4 inch stall mats.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#I know we all have our "horrible trailer stories to tell with each type of trailer" ,  whether it was the trailer itself or the horse. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#We used to have 2 horse straight haul, Campbell Coach, walk through design to tack room dressing room.  It was a triple wall construction, it had 3/4 inch plywood between two steel walls.  Tough trailer, heavy, but man did it rust, we had to almost redo the whole thing.   Hubby says he doesn't want to do that again.  His vote is for the aluminum from Circle J.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS"#ed_cl#I'm curious what others would purchase right now, your opinions would be helpful.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

What do people without horses and dirt bikes do??

If it's really COMMON SENSE why do so few people actually have it???
mxfarmgirl
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aluminum for the weight, but steel for the durability. There are tons of stories..personally I don't know too much about the pros or cons of each, but I've heard great things about Aluminum trailers. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Chisholm » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I bought a solid steel Maplelawn.  I love it.  Very solid feel on the road.  Safety for me comes first over gas savings with a lighter trailer.  And that's the main concern for going to a lighter trailer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And everyone I talk to you agrees that I went the right route.  The only thing will be in 3 or so years it will have to be re painted etc...  But I will have this trailer for a long time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess maybe the deciding factor might be how much distance will you travel with it.  I know Eileen on here travels all over North America with her trailer so the lighter one probably was a better choice.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Heck if you can afford the more expensive aluminum go for that.  Cheaper in the long run.  Can you say NO RUST!  As they get old those steel trailers rust out really bad.  I know as I cannot afford new and I am on my second.  It is a really nice Crown...and the ramp is rusting just parked in the driveway.  The price of body work/steel and paint it just isn't worth it.  They have nice white aluminum trailers now with fancy decals--very nice.  Unfortunately I have to stick with my rusty steel economy model unless I win the lottery or something.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eileen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:37 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#If you go with a good brand name that has a good reputation you cannot go wrong with aluminum.  They are made just as strong and durable as any other trailer on the market.  The reason I prefer the aluminum is of course the low maintenence, as well as the lighter weight.  I have the inner walls of my aluminum trialers lines with a "linex" type of product..not sure of the name right now.  I also have poured floors now and absolutely love them...again,very little maintenence or cleanup time required here.   Just be carefull if you are looking at the aluminum trailers...dont go for the cheapest make that you can find.  There are different strengths of aluminum out there.  If you have a brand of trailer in mind I would check it out  on the internet and get all the info I can before sighning on the dotted line.  I also would suggest looking into buying a used trailer...I have gone both routes and for saving some $$ yet getting a good trailer the used route is not that bad, but again, give the trailer a good check out.  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Piaffing » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mine is a steel 3 horse straight load made by McBride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Razzba » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Canada=winter=road salt=rust.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We went aluminum, steel frame.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Horse trailer accidents are rare. Salt damage in Canadian winters is extensive.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Razzba

Postby Piaffing » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#FYI aluminum will corroide causing the structure to weaken, it's just not as noticable as rust.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:39 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Aluminum corrosion does happen yes, however not as comon as rust and steel.  I have had one of my aluminum trailers for about 14 years more or less...not sure but I have never had a big problem with corrosion, maybe some little spots on the floor where I was neglectful in the cleaning process after the horses used it. It also pays to regularly acid wash an aluminum trailer to keep it in shape . Whereas in 14 years the steel trailer would have had to been sanded, painted welded, fixed and/ or replacements  here and there,  I have had a few, so I know what happens there  lol.  But it is like everything else...you must look at your budget, how often you will use this trailer, will the extra $$ you spend on a good aluminum trailer really justify your buying one rather than a steel trailer....again it is just a personal decision that one must make.#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Razzba » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:35 pm

Well said, Eileen. There is a good reason why transport trailers are made of aluminum!
Razzba

Postby TrueColours » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had a 4 horse head to head G/N - steel - and I agonized long and hard about whether to get steel or aluminum in my new one ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I met Dave Coppin at a horse show and Dave has been commercially hauling for years. He was adamant that steel was the way to go from primarily a safety factor. As much hauling as he has done and the contacts he has with other haulers all over North America, I guess they all swap tales and the horror stories you hear about aluminum trailers folding up like tin cans, the injuries the horses sustain in aluminum versus steel, etc  made me decide to go for steel instead.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am not - personally - sure that I made the right decision  and will go through the winter with it and then see if I will look at a new one in 2006 and in that case, it would be aluminum. I went for the 2+1 configuration which I personally love - 2 standing stalls in the back, a box stall up front, rear and side ramps so you can walk on and walk off and a nice big dressing room as well. Its wonderful to haul and the horses seem to really love it as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I do sell it in the spring ... anyone want a nice, barely used 2005 2+1 steel trailer?! #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby Piaffing » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#TC my trailer is the same type as yours. I love mine and Dave recommeneded that type to me. I've known him for 25 years and he wouldn't steer me wrong. I think you made the right choice.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby KimW » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just my opinion but I would never go with anything other than steel.  My first priority is safety for the horses and having seen aluminum trailers dent at the slightest knock I just don't trust them - and I know someone that got rearended at a stop sign and the whole gooseneck collapsed and the back door was so badly damageed it had to be taken off the hinges to get the horses out!  Can you imagine if one of the horses had been badly hurt and you couldn' t get it out!  Yikes!  Yes steel has its disadvantages of weight and rust but I'd take that over the possibility of collapse.  I've also heard of some of the bigger aluminum trailers (eg 6 horse) sag in the middle and need to be reinforced (I live across the road from a trailer manufacturer).  Besides personnaly I don' t trailer much in the winter so road salt is not much of a concern for  me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
KimW
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling