Talk to me about Slab Fracture to knee.....

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Talk to me about Slab Fracture to knee.....

Postby Patricia » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone every go through this?  What is the treatment and prognosis?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Sorry...never heard of it. Just wanted to drop a line and say I hope your guy is OK...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TrueColours » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I looked at a lovely grey 3 year old gelding off the track a few years back with a slab fracture of the knee, and he was literally being given away and after viewing the x rays and consulting with my vet and with Guelph and Ilderton vet clinics, we all decided that in a best case scenario, he would be a pasture ornament if he healed up properly from it, and definately no jumping or stress to the front end at all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A month or so back I was also offered a nice OTTB with a slab fracture of the knee for free and same thing - prognosis was guarded to poor of him ever returning to work#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I WOULD take a mare on with a slab fracture as she could be returned to a sound enough condition to become a broodmare, but everything I read and everyone I spoke with said for a riding / performance horse, it was not a good injury to have ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#What you can do is consult with Guelph, New Bolton (in PA) and Davis (in CA) as well as Ilderton. Tell them you are thinking of surgery for your horse - what are the procedures, costs, pros and cons of doing so and ultimate prognosis. I found that they are all wonderful about imparting advice over the phone and by talking to the experts in the field about the problem you have encountered, you can make some pretty educated decisions#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby Patricia » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First off, let me just say it is NOT one of my horses but one I was looking at.  He is a very attractive TB gelding.  He was successful too but only 3 and 16.2H.  They felt with time off he would recover.  She said some recover to go back to racing--I found that hard to believe.  I did get a few links and there is surgery, although I don't know if it is for every candidate.  I was given general info nothing specific.  She felt he probably wouldn't be a good match as she put it he is hot and young and high.  Enough said.  I was considering taking him in over the winter for stall rest and light turnout as they put it and have him re-started in summer next year.  He did catch my eye...he had that 'presence and look at me kind of attitude'.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition