Probiotics?

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Probiotics?

Postby TrueColours » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:24 pm

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#My new mare (that arrived Sunday 23rd) has just developed a really volatile case of the runs starting yesterday morning. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Temperature is normal (99.5), appetite is excellent, she is bright and perky and running around and eating and drinking just fine, she has just developed this projectile diarreah that doesnt appear to be abating at all. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I have put her on Neorase (which is a vet prescribed oral medication for gastroenteritis, containing antibiotics) and that hasnt touched it yet. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I planned on putting her on some probiotics tomorrow as soon as I can get it from the feed mill that sells them. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#The *only* thing we can think of is that in quarantine in Los Angeles, and/or on the truck ride here, and/or here at the barn, she has either picked up a viral bug, or - simply by ingesting the hay and drinking the water and eating the grass over here in Canada, her system has picked up something that is foreign to a New Zealand born horse, and her system needs to build up immunities to something that our horses simply take for granted and fight off very easily #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I am really loathe to treat her with any additional antibiotics right now as I dont want the good flora in her gut to be killed off by the antibiotics as well. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Any feedback on the specific probiotics you have tried and if you find they have worked would be most appreciated. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Thanks!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only thing that I can't stress enough, which you probably know, is to keep her hydrated. I would be calling the vet on this one. With all the causes of diarrhea it would be best to go with their opinion. Sometimes the change in feed is enough to trigger it. She's gone through a lot in the past week or so, she'll pull through :) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby ArabJumper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:35 pm

Fast Track is a great probiotic. I got back a pony off a lease who was
dehydrated, not eating, not drinking, slightly impacted followed by
terriable diarhea. I put him on it and it stopped that day. He has been
normal since.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
They sell a gel for oral doasge and a powder as a daily supplement.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
IN a pinch you can use plain yogurt, best if it says "live culture gaureenteed".#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Antibiotics cause diarrhea becuase they kill the normal gut flora. You
do not want to give a probiotic if the horse is on an antibiotic
becuase it will only prevent the medicine from where it needs to go. If
you suspect the infection is in the gut you may be able to give high
concentrations of a probiotic which will out compete the bad germs.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If the diarrhea is from stress of shipping the probtics is the best
bet, normalize the pH, get dif=gestion, absorbtion back to normal.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby TrueColours » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We ended up going with one called "911" to give to her tonight, and I also bought another feed additive one that will be given to her twice a day in her feed that is advertised as being good for gastro intestinal issues, diarreah, stress related issues, etc#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So - I *hope* we have this nipped in the bud. Her temperature is up slightly - 100.5 - but still well within normal ranges and she is still bright and perky and opinionated #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl# and eating and drinking well. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#So - we'll see what tomorrow brings for her ... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#graciespook - thanks - that is also something that we are checking on as well and her water intake is right up there, so no real concerns on the dehydration issue.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But if this doesnt all correct by tomorrow, she will also go on electrolytes. I just feel bad shoving all this stuff down her throat. She is a picky eater so I cant rely on putting it in her feed, I need to syringe it into her, and everytime she sees a syringe coming at her, she knows that something is going to be squirted down her throat ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition