Tb/clydes?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Tb/clydes?

Postby rebelrouser » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:47 pm

Does anyone here have experience with tb/clydes? What do you think of them, in general?
rebelrouser
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#personally I LOVE THEM! lol they are very very pretty horses! They do have the clyde in them which gives the breed a AWSOME personallity, very quiet! and the tb just allows it to be alittle lighter boned and more versitile so that you dont have just a heavey work horse but a show horse as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    I love them!!! at my barn they have a clyde/anglo arab cross and wow she is gorgeous! lovely filly! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#   Leslie#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby Hope03 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:26 pm

I have three TB/Clydes and they are wonderful. The babies are very polite and calm. I like the draft crosses because of the attitude they pass on and the athletic side of them as well. Very nice horses to work with as well as being pretty.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Me me me!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm sure everyone will sigh and yawn as I post and boast once again about my wonderful wonderful mare. ;) She is a Clyde/TB.  When I went out horse hunting this time I was looking specifically for that cross.  I adore Clydesdales and had experience with them (rode some bareback in parades in downtown Ottawa as well as goofing around in fields, etc., worked with a team at the experimental farm, and also helped with the world record 50 horse hitch - all Clydes!)  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Of course I wanted a riding horse so I looked for a cross.  I couldn't have gotten a better horse.  She's got a heart of gold.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Clydes are quite athletic for drafts.  Add in some TB and you (usually) have a great riding horse.  I've seen several make very good jumpers!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A lot of people see her (very) calm disposition when I handle her and figure she's pokey when ridden but quite to the contrary... she's got some spunk!  People are always suprised about that.  She's a little speed demon - but well within control!   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She got caught in the fence a few times - all tangled up, and didn't freak out at all.  She is great on hacks by herself... Great in wide open spaces.  Only brought her to one show (a fun show but with good size classes) and she was fantastic.  Got a first place in our first class.  I could go on forever.  I can't, in all honesty, name one thing I would change about my mare.  She is affectionate, gentle as a lamb, and a blast to ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've met a few TB/Clyde crosses and have always had an affinity for them.  Granted no matter what breed - individual horses have individual personalities. But I have yet to be disapointed with one.  They are usually gorgeous horses and have a good head.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dee22 on this board will surely see this thread.  She has owned 2!  And Rubberman has one as well.   Oh and Mystic!  There are probably other members too!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They are good level-headed horses. The only thing I can't stand is when people call them warmbloods. They insist that the European Warmbloods started this way, but its been centuries of refinement. They are not warmbloods. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However, they make wonderful riding horses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Dee22 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:52 am

Lix wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dee22 on this board will surely see this thread.  She has owned 2!  And Rubberman has one as well.   Oh and Mystic!  There are probably other members too!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Here I am! :) Lix is right, I own my second Clyde Cross and I love them. They're good looking horses with great temperaments. Granted both of my horses have had some... not so great treatment so they both have (or had) some issues but I strongly believe that had they not had that 'not so great' treatment things would have been much different. My first horse had some kind of bad experience with farriers and hated them. Nothing to do with his breed or temperament, he was seriously afraid... other than that he had a heart of gold, he was SO honest. When I had him for sale he was still a green jumper. I had some girl come to try him that was not a very good jumper, she kept setting him up for failure and catching his mouth... he very honestly jumped everything she pointed him at and from some very odd spots. He was 17.2H and weight about 1500lbs... he was 1/2 Clyde and 1/2 TB.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The mare I have now is a 16H, 3/4 TB X 1/4 Clyde, she is a lot more refined than my last guy but still has nice substance and good sized bone. She also has a bit better movement because she doesn't have SO much knee action. She is SO laid back and sweet. She gets tense under saddle but that is due to her last owners 'not so great treatment'. When she gets down to work, she'll work all day if you ask her to. She is so friendly... my mum always says "she's just a peach" LOL... #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#In my opinion Clyde /TB's are a great cross, they have good heads on their shoulders, nice looking horses, honest, hard workers... of course, every horse is an individual and some have some bad history... just like any horse, know what your buying. Ride a couple of times in different situations, have a vet check done and try to find out as much history as you can. Make sure the horse is good with trailering, vet, farrier etc. ... as you would do with any horse :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dee22 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay, so I thought I'd show them off ;) Lix's Clyde Cross mare is very beautiful too, also Mystics mare (Clyde X Hackney, all very nice horses!)... these are the one's I've owned so far...I also intend to breed Eja eventually :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Eja: 1/4 Clyde X 3/4 TB#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/Dee1981/ConfirmationShots12-06-04025.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mopar: 1/2 Clyde X 1/2 TB#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/Dee1981/Mopar20Conf.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mopar! *sigh*  He's so gorgeous!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All horses are individuals.  While you usually get a horse with a good mind with a draft cross, don't count on it always being true!   I've got one boy who will spook at his own shadow and has quite a buck in him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm still a huge fan of draft crosses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:41 am

horsemad! wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mopar! *sigh*  He's so gorgeous!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#he sure is!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#having riddena  few TB/clyde crosses at times, they are wonderful....most ahve the down to earth sens eof a draft, but a bit lighter build & very athletic like the TB (the ones i've ridden anyways)#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#as HM said, they are all individuals, as with any other breed or cross, and i'm sure there are some nasty ones out there, as with any other horse#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Dee22 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HM and BT - Thanks :) he was a pretty boy wasn't he? Sometimes I really do miss him :) I miss his presnce... but Miss Eja has such a quirky personality that she makes up for it! LOL... you really have to meet her to appreciate her ;) LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And yes, every horse is an individual for sure... even though Mopar was a great boy, honest etc. he also had some spookyness issues... Eja doesn't really spook, she's pretty steady but she does have a lot of that TB "go"... it all depends.... but I do love draft crosses!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I forgot also about HM's Sherman! he's awesome too! He's Belgian X Paint isn't he? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yep!  Belgian X Paint - quiet, kind and full of personality!  I loff him...and brag about him every chance I get!  teehee #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG height=229 src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/kelley_horsemad/DogHorsePictures0005.jpg" width=338#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby rebelrouser » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:24 am

wow! Thanks for all the replies...All of those horses are so gorgeous...I absolutely love this cross, even though I've only known a few, but thanks to all of you, it seems true that they are (for the most part) great horses all around. I'm looking into purchasing a three year old mare, and I can't stop daydreaming about her...wishful thinking...!
rebelrouser
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i am sooo jelous i want a clyde cross! lol those pics are soo pretty! Dee i luv the second pic!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby goldendryad » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Last summer I took lessons on a really nice Morgan/Clyde. Waylyn is 15.3 and looked very similar to Mopar - dark bay(prettymuch black) with two hind socks and a big blaze. Feathers if they weren't shaved. Fun to ride, very honest with a heart of gold. He has done everything: Western, gymkhana, a bit of vaulting, jumps over 3', has been well schooled in dressage. Has done parelli level one and drives too. He is a super boy, but is a one person horse, so is being sold since he dislikes being a schoolie.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I loved riding him, he looked huge but his size felt comfy, like a big welsh pony. He was very correct with nice, but big movement. He was sluggish in the spring but now that he's on the muscle he's really confident and energetic, but not in a bad way.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've seen other Clyde/TB's and they've been really nice horses. They are very popular out here.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena may have some draft in her... But after seeing pics of everyone elses draft crosses, it is very minimal if there is anything. She doesnt even look as drafty as Eja, And eja doesnt look too drafty... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Technically speaking a TB/Draft cross IS a warmblood.... A warmblood is simply one half hot blood and one half cold blood. It is not even really a breed. The thing that makes them expensive is having lineage that has done well in competition and conformation ect. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gracie... are you going to tell Anky not to call Prisco a dutch warmblood? They have no record of his lineage and she still was able to get him approved dutch warmblood. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do agree that you shouldnt go around calling just anything a warmblood though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh yay... the whole Warmblood / warmblood debate... again...  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:59 pm

horsemad! wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh yay... the whole Warmblood / warmblood debate... again...  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#no no no!! once this year was enough....save it for next year puh-lease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:32 pm

babytigger wrote:
horsemad! wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh yay... the whole Warmblood / warmblood debate... again...  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#no no no!! once this year was enough....save it for next year puh-lease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Awww..come on!!! Let me have some fun..actually I'm shocked that no one picked up on it thus far..it slipped away unnoticed, I almost wanted to bump it up. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't worry Xena, I'm not out to stir the pot, I swear. Just making a point. :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ya me neither gracie... mwoahahahaaa.... I understand your point, obviously you cant go around calling everything a warmblood in the sense fancy dressage horse type warmblood... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tb/clydes are very popular for hunting though. At the massage school they had this gigantic 18.3hh clyde cross that went out hunting every day almost. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I wanted a field hunter, I would go Clyde TB in a second..wouldn't even think about it :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling