Women's Health-- VERY IMPORTANT!

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Women's Health-- VERY IMPORTANT!

Postby Positively4thStreet » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This was emailed to me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are a woman and use pads, but especially if you use tampons, read#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#this and pass it on to your friends. For the men receiving this email,#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#please forward it to your friends, significant others, sisters, mothers,#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#daughters, etc.). Thanks!#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#The next time you buy sanitary pads or tampons, check the labels and see#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#whether you spot any of the familiar signs stated in this email.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#No wonder so many women in the world suffer from cervical cancer and womb#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#tumors. Have you heard that tampon makers include asbestos in tampons? Why#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#would they do this? Because asbestos makes you bleed more, if you bleed#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#more, you're going to need to use more. Why isn't this against the law#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#since asbestos is so dangerous? Because the powers that be, in all their#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#wisdom (not), did not consider tampons as being ingested, and therefore,#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#didn't consider them illegal or dangerous.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#This month's Essence magazine has a small article about this and they#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#mention two manufacturers of a cotton tampon alternative.  The companies#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#are: Organic Essentials @ 1-800-765-6491 and Terra Femme @ 1-800-755-0212.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#A  woman getting her Ph.D at University of Colorado at Boulder sent#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#thefollowing:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#"I am writing this because women are not being informed about the dangers#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#of something most of us use: tampons. I am taking a class this month and I#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#have been learning a lot about biology and women, including feminine#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#hygiene. Recently we have learned that tampons are actually dangerous (for#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#other reasons than TSS). After learning about this in our class, most of#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#the females wound up feeling angry and upset with the tampon industry, and#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I for one, am going to do something about it. To start, I want to inform#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#everyone I can, and email is the fastest way that I know how." HERE IS THE#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#SCOOP:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Tampons contain two things that are potentially harmful:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# Rayon (for absorbency), and dioxin (a chemical used in#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# bleaching the products). The tampon industry is convinced that we, as#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# women, need bleached white products in order to view the product as pure#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# and clean.  The problem here is that the dioxin, which is produced in#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#this   bleaching process, can lead to very harmful problems for a woman.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Dioxin is potentially carcinogenic (cancer associated) and is toxic to the#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#immune and reproductive systems. It has also been linked to endometriosis#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#and#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  lower sperm counts for men. For both sexes, it  breaks#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  down the immune system. Last September, the Environmental Protection#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  Agency (EPA) reported that there really is no "acceptable" level of#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  exposure to dioxin given that it is cumulative and slow to  disintegrate.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  The real danger comes from repeated contact (Karen Couppert "Pulling the#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  Plug on the Tampon Industry"). I'd say using  about 4-5 tampons a day,#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  five days a month, for 38 years is "repeated contact", wouldn't you?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  Rayon contributes to the danger of tampons and dioxin because it is a#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  highly absorbent substance. Therefore, when fibers from the tampons are#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  left behind in the vagina (as usually occurs), it creates a breeding#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  ground for the dioxin. It also stays in a lot longer then it would with#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  just cotton tampons. This is also the reason why TSS (toxic shock#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  syndrome) occurs.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  Using feminine hygiene products that aren't bleached and that are  all#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  cotton.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  Other feminine hygiene products (pads/napkins) contain dioxin as well,#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#but  they are not nearly as dangerous. So, what can you do if you can't#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#give#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#up  using tampons?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  Use tampons that are made from 100% UNBLEACHED. Unfortunately, there are#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  very few companies that make these safe tampons. They are usually only#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  found in health food stores.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  Countries all over the world (Sweden, Germany, British Columbia, etc.)#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  have demanded a switch to this safer tampon, while the U.S. has decided#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#to  keep us in the dark about it.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  In 1989, activists in England mounted a campaign against chlorine#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  bleaching. Six weeks and America is not #1 in every arena. 50,000 letters#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  later, the makers of sanitary products switched to oxygen bleaching, one#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  of the green methods available (MS magazine, May/June 1995).#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  WHAT TO DO NOW:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  Tell people. Everyone. Inform them.  We are being manipulated by this#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  industry and the government, let's do something about it! Please write to#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  the companies: Tampax (Tambrands); Playtex; O.B.; Kotex. All the 800#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  numbers are listed on the boxes. Let them know that we demand a safe#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  product! ALL COTTON UNBLEACHED TAMPONS...#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  REMINDER:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  In order not to lose the impact of this email, I suggest that anyone  who#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# wants to forward it to your friends, PLEASE copy this mail and paste it#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  to a NEW message. That way it will not distort the whole message  with#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#all   the forward arrows. Please do this with consideration and seriousness#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't quite believe the asbestos part, but interesting. I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars on 'organic' tampons though. Even finding them would be a pain! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't use them and I had severe cervical cell dysplasia anyway - there are many causes of that. Very interesting though, and I personally try to buy unbleached products wherever it is an option. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby draftdriver » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:18 pm

Hey ladies, this is a HOAX! See the hoaxbuster page at snopes.com.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I betcha a whole bunch of women just breathed a big sigh of relief!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yep I figured it was a hoax, urban Legend that type of things.  Thanks DD for clearing that up, no pun intended.  LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby MacnRio » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As I was reading I thought it must be a hoax.... asbestos? *snort*  I was about to go check a hoax web, but DD beat me to it ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:19 pm

MacnRio wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As I was reading I thought it must be a hoax.... asbestos? *snort*  I was about to go check a hoax web, but DD beat me to it ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Exactly..there are health standards out there..abestos? Come ON! :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby cadence » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another sign it was a hoax - asbestos is not an absorbant material.  It is a fire-retardant and that's why it was used in insulation in buildings way back.  And the fibers in asbestos are dangerous but not carcinogenic - they cause fibrotic lung disease (asbestosis) when inhaled because it causes abrasions in the lungs, which cause scarring, which cause breathing disorders.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cadence, you're our walking encyclopedia ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't everyone shrug this off. Yes the asbestos part is a hoax BUT,and the hoax site backs this up, the DIOXIN is real and can pose a threat. Read to the bottom of their response.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So basically unbleached cotton is best. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I don't use tampons, even when riding (I just heard some of you gasp) because they just don't seem to work for me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Interesting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GD- Don't worry, I don't use tampons riding either. The only time I use them is for swimming and competitions (ie. track meets or a horse show) so that it's one less thing I have to worry about (the leaks that is). But I too find they don't really work for me...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't use them for riding either. However, the next time I have a show at a certain time of the month I will! Ohhh, the pain and agony, I nearly had to scratch from one test, I should have, I could barely sit, and did screw up a simple change because I could not shift my weight right. That test would have been in the 60's if it were not for "saddle sores". I was at least proud of Boomer for looking after me, he is not always dependable, but he seemed to know I was not right and looked after me, rather than taking advantage. My coach (who is a man) was running around telling everyone what was wrong with me too. Good thing I have a sense of humor!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kaleena » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Really, you guys don't use tampons? I don't how I use to ride with a pad when I was younger, so uncomfortable! As soon as I found out and started using tampons for riding I never looked back! Now I use them every day (of that time of the month)...I do use a pad at night though. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also use tampons all the time!! cant stand pads! of course I do where pads at night though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just don't do a lot of sitting trot on those days. I have changed my mind about shows though, you don't have the option of not sitting, and my after my aforementioned experience I will use tampons for shows, should the need arise.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to EC Health Club