Stocking up...??

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Stocking up...??

Postby Kaleena » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that Cirrus is stocking up behind over night...arrrg....Its not really that noticible, I notice it because I brush her legs and feel them daily. The left seems worse than the right. The swelling where the red is in this pic...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG height=287 src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Kaleena/untitled.gif" width=433#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The joint itself isn't affected and the swelling does not continue around the back of the leg, and it seems to only be on the outside of the leg, again more so on the left hind than the right. What tendons/ligaments are in this area that she could have injured? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The swelling completly disappears after being turned out for a few hours, but comes back after being in for a few hours. So far I've been cold hosing it in the evenings when I'm there but it doesn't seem to be changing much. Sometimes she seems a *wee* bit ouchy on the left but it could be my imagination. She is not in work right now and hasn't been for over 2 months and even before that she wasn't doing that much undersaddle anyway.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any thoughts or suggestions? If it persists, gets worse or if she does get noticibly ouchy I'll have the vet out of course.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:09 pm

Some of the horses at my barn are stocking up. We think it's because
they're not moving around enough. The ones that are stocking up tend to
be the ones that stand in the same spot for hours and hardly move. Is
there a way to get her to a situation (pen/paddock) where she would be
moving around a lot more? Does she have a pen buddy that gets her
moving? Can you come out and exercise her to keep her moving? Those are
just ideas.
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She is turned out with 5 other horses from 7:30 until 4:00 everyday and moves around a lot during the day, hence the reason the swelling leaves after a few hours outside. I also have her out of her stall for almost an hour every night.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess I want to know why is it happening now and wasn't before? (not that I think anyone here will actually know the answer lol) and how I can stop it from coming back every night? Nothing has changed for her. *sigh* I'm sort of hoping she just twisted something and needs some time before the swelling will stop coming back compeletely.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kaleena, my QH used to stock up all the time, from being confined to a stall.  He was never sore from it, and the swelling always went down as soon as he was able to move around again.  It was just from lack of blood-flow.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cirrus is a big girl, maybe stocking up is just gonna be something that becomes a normal occurrance for her??  I don't think it'll hinder her in anyway...but then again, I'm not a vet #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If it were me, I'd probably put her on outside board...24/7 if you can, or if not, at least have her outside for longer than she is now (as in, have her brought in late at night).  She's in her stall for 15 hours a day, probably not moving around much.  Maybe, due to her size, she needs to be able to move around more, to prevent becoming stocked up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just my $.02#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kaleena - my mare stocks up too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldn't worry about it too much.  With my mare, it does also seem to be more at certain times of the year.  I think in my case, it has a lot to do with the fact that she's not one to move around or play much.  And she's a very big girl.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In your case, since you are not sure if she is a *wee* bit ouchy, could you get someone else to watch her trot just to confirm?  Is the puffy place hot?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's probably nothing urgent, and if it's going down with exercise the chances are on your side that it's just stocking up (which I understand it no big deal) however, maybe the next time your barn vet is over for shots or such, maybe you could ask him/her to look her over just to be sure.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know how these little lumps and bumps can worry us horse owners, even when they are not visibly painful to our horse!  My bf always says "horse are so darn fragile - I don't get why people own them!", lol.  He's right though, compared to our dogs, the horse is high maintenance and problems are always more serious with them...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, I digress.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let us know how it goes! ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've seen it happen with lots of horses. Some of them just need to move around more to keep up the circulation in their legs. If you get really worried, and it doesn't seem to be getting better call the vet. We used to wrap as well, which seemed to help. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Kaleena » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know if it is just stocking up that it isn't that big of a deal, I just don't like it! :P#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway to add....I can't do 24hr turnout because the barn I'm at doesn't do that and she can't stay out longer because she'd be out by herself and she wouldn't like that at all. I've been at the same barn for 10years now and don't plan on moving. Even if I could arrange for her to be out longer it wouldn't stop it from happening because she comes in around 4pm and I get out there around 6pm and the swelling is already back again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She is biggish (16.1hh) but isn't heavy. Her stall is nice and big with a nice deep bed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess it just comes back to me wanting to know why this started all of a sudden (assuming that it is just stocking up). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the thoughts :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A lymphatic condition? Maybe her immune system is down and she's stocking up due to something related to that....I would definitely consult a vet on this..as mentioned previously, its not a big deal, but watch the heat, how sound the horse is and if it changes/fluctuates for a few days. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Kaleena » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmmm....maybe...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I went out last night around 5:45 and the puffiness was there but seemed slightly better than the previous evening, so maybe it is an injury that is taking time to right itself? bah...Its really slight, you can't see it per say, you have to feel it which is why I'm now leaning towards it not just being stocking up. There is no heat and last night she didn't seem to be soar at all. Oh well, I guess I'm just going to keep an eye on it for now and get the vet out next week if I need to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I actually would be concerned about a young horse like Cirrus stocking up. Especially if it happens between 4 when she comes in and 6 when you get there. That's pretty quick for a horse to stock up. I betcha she was slightly off on that left. Probably just strained something playing, but I would keep an eye on it and put stable bandages on it overnight. Stocking up in a 3 yo is not normal. You want to keep it from happening - stocking up does cause cell damage, it might not effect your horse until much later in life, it's not like your horse stocks up and they're lame in a month so I'm not trying to panic you, but it is more serious than most people realize. Does she have any little cuts? Mud fever? Could she have banged the leg? Maybe strained something kicking another horse? My 3 yo has done this.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It can also be caused by kidney troubles (this is why it's more common in older horses), concussion, or working in bad footing. Hard flooring in the stall such as cement can contribute to stocking up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As others have said movement helps with the circulation, also stable bandages, I would not go as far as anti-inflammatories without a vet checking her out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is it getting any better Kaleena? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I with Ruth young horses shouldn't really stock up that quickly.  More than likely strained it outside playing.  After riding it wouldn't hurt to rub the horse down with a brace like Vetrolin.  Definitely keep an eye on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kaleena » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:52 pm

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I actually would be concerned about a young horse like Cirrus stocking up. Especially if it happens between 4 when she comes in and 6 when you get there. That's pretty quick for a horse to stock up. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#See thats what I was thinking...the puffiness comes back too fast and shes too young, not to mention that shes done no work the past 2 months and hasn't really been ridden much at all yet. Also I've seen a stocked up leg before and hers isnt as puffy and is too localized I think.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
Ruth wrote:#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Does she have any little cuts? Mud fever? Could she have banged the leg? Maybe strained something kicking another horse?
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Nope, no cuts or bumps or scabs. She could have banged the leg but I would think that if it was a bang it would be affecting the joint more. As I said the swelling is only present right above the fetlock joint in that groove that I coloured in red in my initial post. I'm leaning towards it being a strain or a sprain of some sort. What is in that area that could be sprained?#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Its not getting any worse, I know that much, but its hard to tell if its getting better. I haven't had a chance to lunge her again so I'm not sure how she is on it. But from watching her out in the field you wouldn't think that she is. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I'm going to call the vet on monday if I don't see some major improvements over the weekend. I plan to go out during the day and then again at 6 and again later around 9 to see whats going on. The only problem is that my vet is sick so I think I might have to get a new/different one out. Oh well. I'll let you know how it goes. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Thanks for all the input guys.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would not like to guess at what is actually wrong, I'm not a vet, and thankfully my personal experience with lameness is not huge *touches wood*. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would not work her and I would get the vet out. Not in a panic, but it is nice to know what is wrong so you can give the best treatment. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My coach's horse had some stockiness in a hind leg, no lameness and the puffiness did disappear with exercise, but he was concerned about it and had him X-rayed. Turned out he had a small stress fracture and if he had continued to work him he would have ruined the horse. 6 weeks of easy turnout and the horse is fine, but if he had cheaped out and not had the X-ray done...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kaleena » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:08 pm

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would not work her and I would get the vet out. Not in a panic, but it is nice to know what is wrong so you can give the best treatment. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nope, no work for her. Like I said shes been out of work for quite sometime beacause of lack of time on my part, when I say that I haven't got to lunge her I mean I haven't gotten to look at her movement. I just have her go around 2 time max in each direction just to look at her. I'm going to talk to the BO tonight and see if she has a recomendation for a vet to call since mine is out of commission at the moment.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It sounds like she has windpuffs.. Xena has windpuffs too and many horses have windpuffs. There is nothing wrong with them, it is just a pocket of xtra fluid and will look more noticeable if she is standing around for awhile. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would get the vet to verify, but If its not hot, if shes not lame, and it there are no obvious marks then this could be the cause. Windpuffs are in the exact location your picture shows and they feel like a little pocket of fleshy squishy stuff... They do retreat when the horse is moving around. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition