Updates!!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Re: Updates!!

Postby Leena » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:11 pm

I just tell you it is so nice to see you all up here..What a nice gift EC gave for 2010 !!! 8)

Well, as for COTH, Patricia, something incredible happen last summer. I got contact via my email that people were asking for news in the dressage bb...I was almost crying...
There is humanity in our crazy world I tell you. Last summer was really tough on me..I am not in the nostril fan club, neither the victim one but it was really hard.

I rode 2 greenies while on chemos; I will never recommand this to anyone..Never. And I placed !

Anyway having said this, it was so good to hear people were thinking of me ...This is just the thoughts I need to battle again..
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:21 pm

I know I found it heart warming that everyone was so supportive towards you! I followed your journey even though I rarely post there. Stay strong LEENA and fight the good fight! :D
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Roger That! » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Hello all...I'm new here but its been great hearing about your past few years with your horses. Feels like I kinda know you all!!
I've had a busy year in 2009, good but very busy. My boyfriend and I have a pair of ponies that he shows at combined driving shows and I show them in pleasure shows (I used to be a hunter, and the pleasure shows are kind of like them in a way). We show in the states mostly as there are not many shows up here in Ontario. I have also been training a 3 year old section C cob, Roger, which will eventually be my driving pony. We have been to dressage shows at RCRA and were champion walk/trot a couple of times. I also showed him in Sport Pony classes and I qualifed for the Royal in the 3 and over gelding class. I showed one of my ponies at the Royal in the welsh driving classes and I showed Roger on the line in the welsh line class where he was reserve champion cob gelding. We were 6th in the under saddle class (out of 12 and were riding in the small breed ring). I was very proud of him as he never put a foot wrong! I plan on doing more dressage classes with him next year and breaking him to drive as soon as I can. We dont have an indoor arena here so its a little tough at the moment! My boyfriend will also be showing the pair at a couple of combined shows in the summer.
I also live on a breeding farm so its almost always busy here!!
Sorry my story is a little long!! How do you post pictures, as I cant seem to get it to work!

Thanks
In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster. - Unknown
Roger That!
Newbies
Newbies

Postby zooka » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:47 pm

my post did not post so I will start again.

I still have Abbey and Galen. Cricket is still living with Abbey. All are good, happy and out of shape!

Last year I had a baby girl. Her name is Alexis and she is almost a year old already. She is the light of our lives and just amazing.

Other than that same old same old.
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Leena » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Zooka..What a nice name for your baby !!!
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:22 am

babytigger wrote:
Kaleena wrote:
BT - I'm sorry to read that the last year or so hasn't been the greatest for you and your family. Hopefully 2010 will bring you some good fortune. A new baby girl? a new baby babytigger :D that's exciting!

Yes, a girl...another one. :roll:

RioG - that's so awesome! I'm glad to hear you got your mares soundness sorted out.

Leena - you are one tough chick.

Thanks BT! It's been pretty exciting... quite the journey but I have learned so, so much and it is so exciting to find like-minded people. I'm slowly but surely building up a clientele, and getting to meet so many amazing people this way.

Congrats on baby!

And Leena, I of course echo everyone elses sentiments - I read some of your posts on UDBB and it's always nice to see how you're doing. :)
www.heelfirsthoofcare.com
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:01 am

Leena, what is your user name on the UDBB? I mostly lurk there.
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Leena » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:20 am

I am Leena as well on Ultimate and COTH but I post rarely on Ultimate..

Last year I join a very nice french dressage community on Scandinavian dressage forum where I received very good avises and online coaching. This kept me busy and I improve my riding so much..My english is pretty good but I am kind of lost with certain expression and when it comes to technical things.
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Hev339 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Ah, it's great to hear about everyone's ponies, other animals, family, etc. Glad to see this board back up. I just couldn't get interested in the other ones as much as this.
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:52 pm

Great to hear everyone's news. Leena, I'm so glad that you are still fighting and hope that you win soon! Luna, that's fantastic about losing so much weight, good for you!

Not a lot of news here. My 28, almost 29 year old retired horse is still around which is amazing. He is still as opinionated as ever and very happy at my friend's farm. I haven't ridden in a very long time and miss it like crazy.

2009 was a rough year for me in a lot of ways. But one of the wonderful things was that despite the recession my business grew substantially. I connected with a lot of new clients and made new friends because of it. I am traveling all over the place now and my days are usually filled and weekends too. I am very, very grateful as it kept me going through the dark times.

Christmas was a time of great celebration as my son and his family finally moved close by and we were all together for the day. In addition to my adored Emily I now have a grandson born December 16. It is a new thing for me having family nearby and everyone is really enjoying it. I'm so lucky to be able to see them at least once a week and sometimes more.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby LookOfEagles » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Just wanted to say a big thank you to chenders for starting this topic ... BTW, you & Raymond are looking great! I hope things will go well with the research & treatment at Guelph.

And Leena -- I'm another one who's been keeping an eye out for you on COTH and UDBB. I don't post on either of those boards (it took me years to get the courage up to post on here), but I was always glad to hear your updates because I was worried how things were going for you. I'm glad the work with the young horses is going well -- they are sure looking good! Meanwhile, sending lots of positive energy your way ...
LookOfEagles
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Leena » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:01 pm

LOE..bon that's it now..I am blushing :oops:

I feel now really part of EC family; sounds like we were away for a while but looking for that special board..
I am deeply touched by your comments along with everybody's..When I engage the battle against cancer, yes I went around and say it loud I was going to fight...But I never realise it would reach so many people..

You are so incredible !!! I have no words to say now and the only thing I promise everyone is to continue that fight..and keep riding as long as I can !!!
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dutchie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 pm

I couldnt possible reply personally to everyones post, but I would like to say Leena, you are a huge inspiration! I am so happy to see you back here with us ! Keep kickin' butt!

To everyone else, i am sorry I can not personally address, I remember some of you well, some of you not so well, and some I seem to think I never spoke with at all, but 2010 is a new year and I look forward to catching up, and hearing from all of you. It is so nice to see everyone back again, and see some new faces too! I am sorry for all your losses,and I smile for all your gains! I wish you all the best in 2010!
----------------------------------------------------
Ride a draft...it makes your butt look smaller
----------------------------------------------------
Dutchie
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:41 am

LookOfEagles wrote:Just wanted to say a big thank you to chenders for starting this topic ... BTW, you & Raymond are looking great! I hope things will go well with the research & treatment at Guelph.

Awww...you're welcome! But I'm sure that if I hadn't started the thread, someone else would have. It's been great catching up with everyone again and hearing where you've all been. Maybe I need to start a new thread so we can talk about where we all want to go this year...
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:53 pm

Great to see that the board is up again! Amazing how much can happen............

In July 2008, Thokki my 5 year old Icelandic gelding finished his training and I brought him to Ridgewood Farm on Kennedy Rd north near Newmarket. I had owned him since he was 6 weeks old and he grew up and was trained at his breeders. It was fantastic to finally have my own horse after part boarding for almost 8 years! Then everything hit the fan.... Hubby came to the end of a job contract in mid August and decided he wanted to retire sooner, rather than in a year or two up to our farm near North Bay, which we had purchased in 2006 as our retirement home. So, after 3 weeks of frantic work we put our Toronto house on the market and sold it within a week! (just before the market tanked). I found a new job in North Bay and had to start by the end of Sept so we moved north and commuted back on weekends to pack up the house. Final move was on Oct 31. Thokki was boarded at a friend's nearby, as our fencing wasn't yet done. I myself retired in May 2009. After lots of hard work the barn and fencing were done, water and hydro to the barn and on July 17th Thokki came home, along with a temporary pasture mate from my friend. I also bought a pony, Pippin, who I plan to teach to drive, so there is a herd of 3! I have been riding a lot since I retired, at least 3 times a week until Dec when the weather tanked. It has been challenging! Thokki is still quite green and had mostly been ridden with other horses. Now we are on our own. Thokki is one of those horses that is pefectly fine until suddenly he decides that he doesn't like the direction we are heading. Standard operating procedure is for him to balk, and start backing up. So far he hasn't bucked or bolted. I carry a crop, but am too chicken to really escalate if he doesn't respond to it. What works is keeping his feet moving forward in a small circle until he settles and is willing to go where I am pointing him. So a lot of our rides have "interesting" moments. But his tolt is fabulous and I shall persevere. Just have to try to not lose my nerve! When he starts getting silly I tell myself sternly, "sit up and ride!". So far so good. Unfortunately, in spring 2008 I came off the horse I was part boarding and injured my back landing on the still frozen ground, only the 2nd fall in 8 years, and just before I was getting my own horse. sigh. I was back riding again in 6 weeks, probably too soon, but you know how it is. But it has made me less brave, and Thokki is the first "green" horse I have ever ridden. And I ain't gettin' any younger, having reached 60 just after Thokki came home, LOL. Nevermind.
Here are some links to pix of horses and farm....

http://pets.webshots.com/album/56143460 ... vhost=pets

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5762 ... t=outdoors
Icelandics - Tolt-ally wonderful!
TM

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:04 am

Welcome back everyone!

Can see the past year has been rough for alot of people, but I'm glad to hear overall that everyone is surviving and well. Exciting to hear about all the babies born! I love babies (so feel free to post pics :P).

Good for you for losing all that weight Luna- keep it up. That's awesome.

Leena- I am very glad to hear that you are still staying strong. I thought about you a lot while the boards were down, wondering how you were doing. Glad to get a good update- keep it up- you are amazing!

As for me, I can't complain at all. Had some family scares with both my grandma and grandpa- both heart problems, and my grandma, we only found out about the issue because she was in the hospital due to breaking her leg. Fortunately for my grandpa, he is doing fine- just has to be careful with himself. My grandma is also now doing well, though she is still healing from the broken leg (going on 7 months now). Slow, but steady. So I've been going to their house once a week and putting in a couple hours of cleaning to help my grandma out.

I am now in my final term of my final year of university! That is very exciting. I'm now looking into massage therapy courses- will do human first, then I believe I will go to D'AL for horses. So right now, I've been busy getting down to business with school and making appoitments to visit schools. The only thing with MT, is most programs start either this May or June- so I'll be finishing one program and jumping into another- good and bad. Good cause I'll finish the next program earlier, bad cause I won't get much of a mental break, and I won't have alot of time to work and make money to afford riding (which is CLEARLY the biggest issue :D ).

Riding is going well. Wasn't the best show season for us (missed alot of shows due to stone bruise occuring during warmup at a show, being rained out, then me being sick) and I've taken our jumping back to fix some bad habits that have crept up, but all in all, no complaints there either. For awhile I was pressuring myself into finishing my riding levels (which is something I'd still like to do), but I've been so busy with school and trying to work that it was just stressing me out. So I've decided I'm not going to put time limits on things. I'm just going to enjoy the ride and we'll get there when we get there. Now with potentially going back to school again this May/June I have no idea what my show season will look like- that will all depend on money and time. Again- whatever we get to, I'm happy with.
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby My_horse_is_fat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Wow.... I can't get over the ressurection of this board!

I have had some good times with my horses... bought one or two, sold one or two. :) Leased one...

Also got engaged, got pregnant, ad a kid then got married... in that order. ;) The getting pregnant part was my engagement present I think! :lol:

Other than that... status quo. Showing as always. Some eventing, dressage and now some western stuff with a new QH.

Good times!

Luna - HUGE congrats for that kind of weight loss!! You should be VERY proud of yourself. :) :tu:
My_horse_is_fat
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Happy Appy's » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Well I mostly lurked on here before but I will give an update too! The old appy has been retired and I found a new ride. She is trained in Dressage so is teaching me a lot of new moves. The little mini gang is growing. I now have Coco Puff, Sugar Crisp, Apple Jack, Cheerio and Bo Berry. The last 3 are weanlings that were an impulse buy in a weak moment. I have a baby on the way too it seems. Sugar who has never had a heat in the 4 years that I have owned her and Coco with both testicles retained are going to be happy parents. We aren't sure of the date because we didn't know she was in foal until I couldn't explain the weight gain. lol I guess they will be separated this spring. We bought Apple Jack for Coco to have as a pasture mate. They are the best of buds now.
I am sitting on the fence this year about showing. I never really cared about it but now that me and Mocha are doing so well (in our minds) my coach is telling me to go for it. For Christmas this year hubby bought me a new pair of white breeches, I guess that's a hint to get off the fence.
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kaleena » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:58 am

Giddy Up - Nice to hear from you, I was wondering about you the other day when I saw you post on EMG a few times (I'm a lurker there). Are you still riding Zippy?
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 pm

Yep, still riding Zippy. She's doing pretty while. Finally starting to put some more weight on, and we're working on bringing the jumping back. Other than that, just riding :)
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

PreviousNext

Return to General